WiLL2c

Large Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Is very high flow in your tank bad for fish?
i have 3 small fish, 2 clowns and a purple dottyback my clowns have space plenty of space to swim but seem to get pushed around all over by my powerheads. is this in anyway harmful to the fish? should i take out 1 of the powerheads?

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
are you training them for fishy olympics? gold metal swimmers you will have in the end!

jk, my fish love the flow. my two clowns go over to my MP10ES and go right into the flow and fly across the tank. or they will try and fight the current. they are fine though. i mean, you dont want a tsunami in your tank, but a good amount is ok. no dead spots in your tank at least to build up nitrates...

mk4fan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
How do we really know fish like the high flow? I'm sure they would appreciate some dead spots so they can rest. I've seen tanks with high flow and I actually feel bad for the fish. Perhaps fish in high flow tanks are very healthy because of all the excersise they get, but I prefer my fish to be couch potatoes........ :)

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
I don't think fish like the high flow. When ever I turn my pumps off to do maint. All the fish seem to come out and play.
But f-em my corals are more important. LOL

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
I have played around w/ diff flow patterns and in my experience my fish and corals seemed happier w/ less flow. I also think that smaller powerheads are better than beastly ones. It all depends on your tank size but as for a nano I had a 29 biocube w/ the stock pump k3 and k1,I also tried w/ just a k1 and it seemed my tank was happiest and looked best just using the stock return. Keep in mind I had only LPS and zoos in there, SPS require more flow. Play around and see how your animals react. Try K1's if anything.

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
It also depends on the fish. Some live in high current areas, others in lagoonal low current areas.

Know the requirements of your fish and corals and stock accordingly ;).

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: