Rating - 100%
87   0   0
garlic is not a cure for ich

You can hypo salinity or treat with medication [copper] you need to research before doing either.

Feeding garlic is a great way to boost the immune system of the fish which can allow them to fight the ick off. This doesn't remove the ick from the system and if you read a little about the lifecycle of ick you will realize that.

Some people say they have luck with running a UV, Frequent water changes, And feeding garlic soaked good foods.

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
There are lots of articles here on MR about it. Plus you will get many conflicting opinions as to what to do. All you can do is read, decide on a method and follow it to the bitter end. Or you can just try to provide your fish with the best environment and food and hope they get over it on their own.

finksmart

SPS Fanatic
Vendor
Rating - 100%
268   0   0
There is no short cut to curing ich. Hyposalinity for at least 30 days and leaving your aquarium devoid of fish during such period is the only NATURAL way currently known to rid of ich.

I say natural because there is a few other ways to cure ich using chemicals but I usually prefer the natural way for the following reasons. Copper is labor-intensive - you need to measure your dosage precisely to not kill the fish you are trying to treat. Copper can be harmful to beneficial bacteria in the LR as well as the bacteria in their digestive system needed to digest their food. Other medication I have read about (formalin, malachite green, etc) are more aggressive treatments that require attention to dosage, and they are toxic to human (some contains carcinogenic substance, which I personally would not like to come in contact with).

Just keep in mind that biofiltration in hyposalinity, at least in my experience, is less effective than when water in full strength salinity. Frequent water changes takes care of this.

UnknownWaters

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think kent marine Rx-P works great I think I tried it and my fish did better it contains hot pepper juice that irratates the fiehes slime coat. and the slime coat builds up really thick and the ich cant get to the fishes body it kinda helps.

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
heat.... speeds up the life cycle of ich. Remember there is really no way of completely eliminating it. It's like herpes... sure it can lay dormant for quite some time... but before you know it... Poof! out of nowhere.

UnknownWaters

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
heat.... speeds up the life cycle of ich. Remember there is really no way of completely eliminating it. It's like herpes... sure it can lay dormant for quite some time... but before you know it... Poof! out of nowhere.

What have you been doing with your fish? :Yikes:

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0

Higher temperature has not been proven to speed the lifecycle of saltwater ich. It is true of freshwater ich only.

Also, ich, like any other parasite does not come out of no where. Once its eliminated from your system, there is no way a fish, no matter how stressed will develop ich unless it is re-introduced into your system.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: