Beginner 40g breeder! Need help - Page 2 - Reefs.com

Home  / Forums  / Global Forums  / Reefs for Beginners  /  Beginner 40g breeder! Need help
Reply
dazzanax is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 8
03-27-2011, 01:03 AM
  #11  
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryangrieder View Post
Powder Blue Tang - noooooooooo
-Clownfish (False Percula) - perfect
-Long-Nosed Filefin - no
-Cowfish - no
-Regal Angelfish - no
-Threadfin Butterflyfish -no
-Long-Nosed Butterflyfish (One of my favorites) - no
-Copper-Band Butterflyfish - no
-Bird Wrasse (Also a favorite of mine) - no
-Mandarin Fish - maybe after a year
-Foxface - ehhhhh
-Eels? - maybe a snowflake, but id say no
-Starfish, crabs, shrimp, clams - depends.
*
sorry buddy but your list is not looking to good. all those fish are no good pretty much for your tank.*way to big or not hardy or not reef safe. here is a simple list i'll make for you. here are a few reef safe simple fish that i just looked through my book and picked out...
*
false purcula
pink skunk clown
orange skunk clown
seabae clown
true purcula
caribbean pygmy angel
coral beauty
bi color angel
lemonpeel angel
eibli angel
other dwarf angels. only ONE though...
chalk basslet
harliquin basslet
royal gramma
bi color blenny
algae blenny
scooter blenny
pj cardinal
beau gregory damsel
blue reef chromis
royal dotty back
purple pseudochromis
diadema psuedochromis
purple back psuedochromis
yellow watchman goby
clown goby
bullet goby
pink spot luther goby
dusky jaw fish
red fire fish
purple firefish
engineer goby
black foot orange dot goby
pink bar goby
blue gudgeon goby
sisscortail goby
*
golden head sleeper goby
rainford goby
zebra goby
six line wrasse
carpenders fairy wrasse
exquisite wrasse
lubbocks fairy wrasse
McCoskers Fairy Wrasse
solar fairy wrasse
checkerboard wrasse
cherryhead fairy wrasse


*
Thanks for your help. problem with your list is, I'm not into chromies, or damsels.

Last edited by dazzanax; 03-27-2011 at 01:15 AM.
 
skene's Avatar
skene is offline
Winter. Time for Flakes..
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,346
03-28-2011, 08:43 PM
  #12  
most of the fish that you want are not suited for the size tank that you would be setting up.
You have to keep in mind that what you would like to do is minimize the amount of fighting with space that is limited to what you are trying to accomplish.
Get fish that are realistic and do not grow larger than what you want to accommodate.
__________________
Concerned Reefers Against Stealth Vending...
Don't be mad BRO when I call you out!

inkblue - 10:13 PM : u suPPose to do ur RG duTy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob&Gab View Post
seesh, people really need to be taught a lesson. Stop being a little internet gangster please. you must like drama cause you keep comming back for it.
Canal Street coral vendors... BAhahahAHAHAH!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvanwhy View Post
Thanks confusious why don't we meet up so I can turn your avatar into a reality
 
ryangrieder's Avatar
ryangrieder is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,924
03-28-2011, 09:28 PM
  #13  
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzanax View Post
Thanks for your help. problem with your list is, I'm not into chromies, or damsels.
I named 46 fish...only 2 were damsels and chromis.
__________________
Fish Are Friends. . . Not Food . . . OR ELSE


Solana System...
My OLD Set Ups...
My Old 57 Rimless Reef Tank...
My Old 46G Bow Front Reef Tank...
My OLDER 46G Bow Front Tank...
My Old 29G Bio Cube Reef Tank...
 
MSunkin23 is offline
Member
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 73
03-28-2011, 10:12 PM
  #14  
I am a huge fan of Gobies and Clowns. Firefish is a cool addition as well. I bet you can get a mandarin in there.
 
ryangrieder's Avatar
ryangrieder is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,924
03-28-2011, 10:34 PM
  #15  
No, mandarin has to wait IMO. Do not impulse buy something like that, when there is a high chance it will die. I personally have a mandarin going on 4 years old. It took a lot of personal time with him. Hand feeding, many times a day. I waited for my tank to be a year and a half old, then I got one. If you get one too early, it may live for awhile in your tank, but eventually get lethargic and slowly die...
__________________
Fish Are Friends. . . Not Food . . . OR ELSE


Solana System...
My OLD Set Ups...
My Old 57 Rimless Reef Tank...
My Old 46G Bow Front Reef Tank...
My OLDER 46G Bow Front Tank...
My Old 29G Bio Cube Reef Tank...
 
MSunkin23 is offline
Member
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 73
03-28-2011, 11:12 PM
  #16  
Yea, perhaps the 40g is pushing it for a mandarin. More like a pipe dream.

I would stick to other gobies, and clownfish if I were you. Check out the firefish.
 
aznt1217's Avatar
aznt1217 is offline
Forever Noob
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,457
03-29-2011, 12:26 AM
  #17  
You can go with the ORA Mandarin and train them on frozen food. But a wild caught one I would stray away from.

I suggest having at max like 12 fish in there (within reason). I think you can get away with dime sized tang and keep him/her for a few years then rehome it.

I usually push the bar and people are usually against my fish keeping =D. What psycho puts 32 fish in a 54 gallon corner and gets away with it! My fish were pretty happy -- no fights, all swimming calmly. You just need to ensure you have stronger than normal water flow and a very good filtration system.
 
dazzanax is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 8
04-05-2011, 11:08 PM
  #18  
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryangrieder View Post
Powder Blue Tang - noooooooooo
-Clownfish (False Percula) - perfect
-Long-Nosed Filefin - no
-Cowfish - no
-Regal Angelfish - no
-Threadfin Butterflyfish -no
-Long-Nosed Butterflyfish (One of my favorites) - no
-Copper-Band Butterflyfish - no
-Bird Wrasse (Also a favorite of mine) - no
-Mandarin Fish - maybe after a year
-Foxface - ehhhhh
-Eels? - maybe a snowflake, but id say no
-Starfish, crabs, shrimp, clams - depends.
*
sorry buddy but your list is not looking to good. all those fish are no good pretty much for your tank.*way to big or not hardy or not reef safe. here is a simple list i'll make for you. here are a few reef safe simple fish that i just looked through my book and picked out...
*
false purcula
pink skunk clown
orange skunk clown
seabae clown
true purcula
caribbean pygmy angel
coral beauty
bi color angel
lemonpeel angel
eibli angel
other dwarf angels. only ONE though...
chalk basslet
harliquin basslet
royal gramma
bi color blenny
algae blenny
scooter blenny
pj cardinal
beau gregory damsel
blue reef chromis
royal dotty back
purple pseudochromis
diadema psuedochromis
purple back psuedochromis
yellow watchman goby
clown goby
bullet goby
pink spot luther goby
dusky jaw fish
red fire fish
purple firefish
engineer goby
black foot orange dot goby
pink bar goby
blue gudgeon goby
sisscortail goby
*
golden head sleeper goby
rainford goby
zebra goby
six line wrasse
carpenders fairy wrasse
exquisite wrasse
lubbocks fairy wrasse
McCoskers Fairy Wrasse
solar fairy wrasse
checkerboard wrasse
cherryhead fairy wrasse


*
What do you think of my list, if I upgraded to a 65 gallon? How would that changewhat I can get?
 
skene's Avatar
skene is offline
Winter. Time for Flakes..
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,346
04-05-2011, 11:12 PM
  #19  
from a 40 to a 65... you are really only talking height now. not much has changed.
__________________
Concerned Reefers Against Stealth Vending...
Don't be mad BRO when I call you out!

inkblue - 10:13 PM : u suPPose to do ur RG duTy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob&Gab View Post
seesh, people really need to be taught a lesson. Stop being a little internet gangster please. you must like drama cause you keep comming back for it.
Canal Street coral vendors... BAhahahAHAHAH!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvanwhy View Post
Thanks confusious why don't we meet up so I can turn your avatar into a reality
 
dazzanax is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 8
04-05-2011, 11:30 PM
  #20  
Quote:
Originally Posted by skene View Post
from a 40 to a 65... you are really only talking height now. not much has changed.

Ya, but it's 25 more gallons of water for the fish to roam, also, it keeps the width that I want for the coral...
 

Reply
Thread Tools
Display Modes