tommy1618

young grasshopper reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
i have 5 tangs in my 120. just move ur life rock or decors around to confuse original tang. alot of u cant put same shape tangs in same tank i believe is b.s, ive never had a issue with tangs with 4 different setups

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also had a Yellow, Purple, Scopas, & Desjardin Tang. I did not realize how importan tangs were in keeping a clean reef system, until I downgraded & had to let the tangs go.
My rule is always to keep tangs in larger systems after observing this.

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
im sorry, just my opinion, so dont go crazy, and i def. dont want to start a fight over the topic, but there are way to many people that go crazy over fish and their size tank. if the guy has a 75 gallon tank, and he has a say 2 or 3 inch kole tang, and wanted a 2 or 3 inch yellow tang, you can easily do it. if you had a 4 or 5 inch kole tang and wanted a 5 inch yellow tang or something, then sure, thats not going to happen, and not right, but smaller, no problem. do you realize how many people with large systems 150g+ size, since they have the room to do a few larger fish, and go CRAZY WITH IT? most people with around 250G tanks, if you see there tank, its PACKED, PACKKKEEEDDDDD with fish. the whole tank looks like its a giant blurr. 3-4 angels, 5-6 tangs, anthias everywhere, clowns, you name it. but if someone has a 55 or 75g tank and says they want 2 tangs or something, its a bad decision and everyone goes crazy? when the fish gets larger, then get rid of it, but when its real small, whats all the fuss about? i really dont see how its bad. you know how many bio cubes are out there with yellow tangs and either a flame or some random angel? alot. you know how many people with big tanks over pack thier systems? alot. one time, i had my 29g bio cube and had a yellow tang, and hippo tang both. they grew quickly, and i took them out and put them in a 46 bow which i have now. then i got rid of the yellow tang because he was a bit too big for the 46 bow so i rehomed the yellow tang to a friend who now has the fish still, and that fish is about 5 1/2 inches now and soon to be in a 220g. and for the hippo, i still have him in the 46 bow. he is still growing, and started off the size of a quarter, and now about 3 inches. he is still fine for my 46 bow, but im upgrading my tank in 2 weeks to a 57 rimless, and when i do, i COULD put him in the new set up, but i told my friend he could have him because i dont feel like in a few months trying to catch him after the new set up is complete. BUT, when i had both tangs in a little 29g, which the hippo was quarter size and yellow tang was silver dollar size, they were fine in my tank. others would say ohh those fish are way to big for that size tank. and you are correct, they WILL be too big when they get larger, but they are currently only an inch long. my firefish was at one time the biggest fish i had, even while having the two tangs, and a carib. pygmy angel. so, honestly, i dont think its such a big fuss over how many tangs to have and all, i think more importantly it matters about size of the fish currently, not the future. they get big, then upgrade or sell them. simple as that. if everything in your tank is perfect, and you feed correctly, they fish will not stunt its growth or anything. they fish will keep growing if your doing everything correctly. like all fish i have had in the past...

again, my opinion. dont mean this at anyone, but i feel people are too crazy over this topic...

Last edited:

tommy1618

young grasshopper reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
im sorry, just my opinion, so dont go crazy, and i def. dont want to start a fight over the topic, but there are way to many people that go crazy over fish and their size tank. if the guy has a 75 gallon tank, and he has a say 2 or 3 inch kole tang, and wanted a 2 or 3 inch yellow tang, you can easily do it. if you had a 4 or 5 inch kole tang and wanted a 5 inch yellow tang or something, then sure, thats not going to happen, and not right, but smaller, no problem. do you realize how many people with large systems 150g+ size, since they have the room to do a few larger fish, and go CRAZY WITH IT? most people with around 250G tanks, if you see there tank, its PACKED, PACKKKEEEDDDDD with fish. the whole tank looks like its a giant blurr. 3-4 angels, 5-6 tangs, anthias everywhere, clowns, you name it. but if someone has a 55 or 75g tank and says they want 2 tangs or something, its a bad decision and everyone goes crazy? when the fish gets larger, then get rid of it, but when its real small, whats all the fuss about? i really dont see how its bad. you know how many bio cubes are out there with yellow tangs and either a flame or some random angel? alot. you know how many people with big tanks over pack thier systems? alot. one time, i had my 29g bio cube and had a yellow tang, and hippo tang both. they grew quickly, and i took them out and put them in a 46 bow which i have now. then i got rid of the yellow tang because he was a bit too big for the 46 bow so i rehomed the yellow tang to a friend who now has the fish still, and that fish is about 5 1/2 inches now and soon to be in a 220g. and for the hippo, i still have him in the 46 bow. he is still growing, and started off the size of a quarter, and now about 3 inches. he is still fine for my 46 bow, but im upgrading my tank in 2 weeks to a 57 rimless, and when i do, i COULD put him in the new set up, but i told my friend he could have him because i dont feel like in a few months trying to catch him after the new set up is complete. BUT, when i had both tangs in a little 29g, which the hippo was quarter size and yellow tang was silver dollar size, they were fine in my tank. others would say ohh those fish are way to big for that size tank. and you are correct, they WILL be too big when they get larger, but they are currently only an inch long. my firefish was at one time the biggest fish i had, even while having the two tangs, and a carib. pygmy angel. so, honestly, i dont think its such a big fuss over how many tangs to have and all, i think more importantly it matters about size of the fish currently, not the future. they get big, then upgrade or sell them. simple as that. if everything in your tank is perfect, and you feed correctly, they fish will not stunt its growth or anything. they fish will keep growing if your doing everything correctly. like all fish i have had in the past...

again, my opinion. dont mean this at anyone, but i feel people are too crazy over this topic...

amen :fishhit:

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I have a hippo and a sailfin tang in my 75. There is no war and they regularly swim in close proximity to each other. I do have plenty of nooks for them to swim into and the hippo has one that it goes to every night. The sailfin found its favorite space to.
I introduced the hippo a few months ago and the sailfin last month. I do plan to upgrade to a 120 or 150 in the near future, and not add anymore tangs, but for now everyone is happy and healthy.
Im not sure how big these guys really are. My guess is the hippo is 2 1/2" and the sailfin is under 2" but that is a guess. Saltwater does magnify everything.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Sizing fish to a tank has nothing to do with depriving people of fish they want. I don't think anyone on here that says "that tang is too large" is doing it for personal reasons as much as the fact that the tang is in fact too large. There are factors other than physical size that need to be taken into consideration when determining minimum tank sizes. Tangs happen to be schooling fish that roam over a large area of the reef (read: they need space) while something like a goby tends to keep to a much smaller territory maybe only a few square feet. Even as a juvenile of only 2" that tang's needs are much greater than say a 5" goby.

The other side of this is that stress is probably the biggest killer of fish an any aquarium. Stress lowers their resistance to other things and can even kill itself. Keeping fish in a small tank (which yes, even a 250gal is quite small) can create stress and just like people, prolonged periods of stress can take it's toll. When stocking a tank this needs to be a consideration if long term success is a goal.

People's fish don't fight just like everyone on here has "perfect" water even when the tank crashes. Fish are incredibly territorial. Obviously some more than others but just because you don't see them picking up bats and chasing each other doesn't mean that they aren't being aggressive. These are animals and sometimes the most innocuous movement is in fact perceived as a death threat by other fish. It can be anything from a fin flick to listing slightly to one side or even eye contact. Small things that most people wouldn't even notice or would even think are signs that fish are happy together, like swimming side by side. Our tanks are not a Disney film and everyone isn't wandering around thinking of ways to help each other. They're wild animals and as far as they are concerned the other fish are probably a threat until proven otherwise.

That is why people say you shouldn't have certain fish in certain size tanks. That and if I stuffed you in the trunk of your car and fed you once a day and hosed you down twice a week, you'd probably survive for a long time but you wouldn't be too thrilled about it and that would lead to stress and ultimately death at some point. That's sort of what happens when you take a large fish that needs swimming space and stuff them in a nano. You would fit in your trunk but I doubt anyone would be ok with that.

The fish being alive is not the yardstick of success.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+43+392&pcatid=392

From liveaquaria's description:

For best care, it should be housed in an aquarium of at least 100 gallons with ample room to swim. Like other Tangs, this member of the Acanthuridae family demonstrates territorial aggression towards its own species, or Tangs in general. Therefore, it is best to keep just one Yellow Hawaiian Tang per aquarium, unless multiple Yellow Hawaiian Tangs are introduced into the system simultaneously.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+43+330&pcatid=330

From the description again:

Native to reefs across the Indo-Pacific, the Blue Tang relishes a good hiding location amongst live rock. However, this active fish also loves to swim. Therefore, ample room to roam around your aquarium is essential for optimum health. Though peaceful towards most tankmates, the Pacific Blue will become aggressive towards other fish of its own species. To keep multiple specimens, introduce the entire lot at once into a larger marine system.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+2971+754&pcatid=754

description again:

A 180 gallon or larger aquarium is necessary to provide plenty of swimming room, places to hide, and a tight-fitting lid to prevent jumping to escape. It is aggressive towards other tangs, but peaceful with other fish in the tank.

That's just three of the more commonly kept species and that's off liveaquaria (who I believe undersize the tank specs slightly). I couldn't care less about busting balls on here. People can do what they want but most of the time the people who do what they want are the very same ones posting about all sorts of problems. It's about learning how to properly care for the species we select so that "well, it's still swimming" is no longer a measure of success.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
If we apply the scientific method than because it seems to "work" in your tank tommy, than it must work in all tanks. I guess at this point it must be a cospiracy involving all the publishers out there because the cost of revising all the books and getting all the biologists to agree with your findings would be prohibitively expensive not to mention embarassing.

tommy1618

young grasshopper reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
what ur saying is similar, to like anything else else. sharks in these tanks, whales in there tanks. when u go to a fish store, u see all the same tangs in same tanks, scientific method. lol, lets talk it, this aint good for you and revise it might be great for u. only way to see how tangs personally is is to test the waters and add another tang and see. all fish are the same is what ur sayin with this scientific method? i see fish they say will eat coral which dont bother it at all, so when it comes to methods, theres plenty, and dont always believe the "scientific"

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: