• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

32Bit_Fish

My red mushrooms are reproducing like crazy. They are taking over rocks piece by piece. They wipe out other corals that are in their path. What can I do to stop this?

Do these type of red mushroom worth anything? They are started growing on the tank wall. How can I remove them?

Thanks

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 100%
144   0   0
Here are some pics of the mushrooms...

Attachments

• IMG_3772.JPG
    IMG_3772.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_3774.JPG
    IMG_3774.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_3773.JPG
    IMG_3773.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 207

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 100%
144   0   0
I tried with a razor and they are basically melting away. It's hard to get rid of them

Maybe I just soak the rock in tap water.

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Look for the dbtc forum but if u really wanna kill them inject sparingly with Kalk paste and they should shrivel up. Clean up well bc any tissue left on the rock will probably come back later on down the line.

Where do I get kalk paste? I'm assuming it comes as a complete (syringe)?

jcs11236

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
its really harder than everyone are saying. and your invasion is not that bad now.. you need to get rid of those rocks asap or start slicing/scraping rocks now!. i had a whole tank invasion and i got rid of all the rock in my nano. i had hundreds which i tried everything to get rid of them but they just kept coming back more and more! lol. check my old thread and you will see crazy mushrooms pics!

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 100%
166   0   0
its really harder than everyone are saying. and your invasion is not that bad now.. you need to get rid of those rocks asap or start slicing/scraping rocks now!. i had a whole tank invasion and i got rid of all the rock in my nano. i had hundreds which i tried everything to get rid of them but they just kept coming back more and more! lol. check my old thread and you will see crazy mushrooms pics!

Yeah, I thought I was doing something wrong, removing them from the rocks as not so easy as everyone says. I guess I need to start selling stuff now.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0

+1

Not sure how many of the posters above really succeeded in removing mushrooms using the methods they posted, but from many years of experience, all you need to know is that if you leave just one single molecule behind, it WILL grow back into a complete colony if left unattended.

There are two things I don't want to do here. First is promote a product I have an interest in, in a discussion forum. And second is, promote a product that is not sold with the intent of doing something it wasn't meant to do in the first place. With that said, if you can't figure out what I'm referring to, :sgrin: shoot me a PM and I'll go into detail. :)

Sorry for being so cryptic everyone, I just don't want to break the rules of MR, I recognize that was very close to the line. Mods, feel free to delete if you believe it was over the line.

Russ

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
+1

Not sure how many of the posters above really succeeded in removing mushrooms using the methods they posted, but from many years of experience, all you need to know is that if you leave just one single molecule behind, it WILL grow back into a complete colony if left unattended.

There are two things I don't want to do here. First is promote a product I have an interest in, in a discussion forum. And second is, promote a product that is not sold with the intent of doing something it wasn't meant to do in the first place. With that said, if you can't figure out what I'm referring to, :sgrin: shoot me a PM and I'll go into detail. :)

Sorry for being so cryptic everyone, I just don't want to break the rules of MR, I recognize that was very close to the line. Mods, feel free to delete if you believe it was over the line.

Russ

I feel for you. I feel your good intent but the rule just can't allow us to do that. Frequently, I just want to post my feeling/experience as a hobbyist but since we are vendor, we are forbidden to mention anything that's related to our products that we personally feel perfect for the job. The feeling is even worse when you see other posters are posting wrong info. and cannot correct them if when the correct has to relate to our products. Frequently, I got infractions for posting in this manner.

How about trading out your rocks? 1 lb to 2 lb or some ratio you feel right.

Last edited:

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
I'm currently doing 10-12% w/c every two weeks. I guess there are too much nutients that promote mushroom growth?

I have other mushrooms in different color and they don't grow as quick as the red one, why?

Anyway, is box cutter the same as scalpel? I haven't seen those surgical blazes available in any of my local drug stores (Walgreen/Rite Aid).

Someone suggested remove the rock and it seems difficult as all rocks were stacked on top of each other that made the aquascaping/caves. And I do not have extra rocks to add into the tank, let alone finding the similar size and shape of the new rocks to replace the old ones.

If I step up the w/c, let's say 10% weekly, would that help slowing down red mushroom's growth rate?

Last edited by a moderator:

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
Water changes will not help here and actually may make them grow better.
Cutting with a scalpel or box cutter will not do it. Too much will be left and it will regrow. Yout have to take a small sharp scissors (like a nail scissor)and cut the mushroom off by snipping the rock beneath it so that you get the actual layer of rock it is attached to not just the mushroom. This is done best if the rock is out in the open. Doing it in the tank is very hard.

Or try the zapper being sold for aptasia as alluded to above.

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 100%
117   0   0
Water changes will not help here and actually may make them grow better.
Cutting with a scalpel or box cutter will not do it. Too much will be left and it will regrow. Yout have to take a small sharp scissors (like a nail scissor)and cut the mushroom off by snipping the rock beneath it so that you get the actual layer of rock it is attached to not just the mushroom. This is done best if the rock is out in the open. Doing it in the tank is very hard.

Or try the zapper being sold for aptasia as alluded to above.

So I guess I would need to remove the rocks from the main tank and probably fill a basin with tank water n work the rock in the basin?

I have a kanya tree attached to one rock. Would this going to be a problem?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
So I guess I would need to remove the rocks from the main tank and probably fill a basin with tank water n work the rock in the basin?

I have a kanya tree attached to one rock. Would this going to be a problem?

Yes, it is easiest to preserve the other life in/on the rock if you put it into a basin of SW and snip them off.
As was described you want to get to where each mushroom is attached and snip off a little piece of the rock what contains the 'root' (for lack of a better word, but not the type of a root that digs down into the rock, it is only on the surface) of where the mushroom originates. If you do this they will not come back.
Put the ones you cut off on the For Sale Forum or see if you can trade them to your LFS for credit (you won't get much, but better than nothing AND you are not killing a living animal :))

The easiest way is to use 'bone cutters' - google that term and you will see what they are. You can usually get them at a drug store that sells surgical supplies.
moz-screenshot-12.png

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Yes, it is easiest to preserve the other life in/on the rock if you put it into a basin of SW and snip them off.
As was described you want to get to where each mushroom is attached and snip off a little piece of the rock what contains the 'root' (for lack of a better word, but not the type of a root that digs down into the rock, it is only on the surface) of where the mushroom originates. If you do this they will not come back.
Put the ones you cut off on the For Sale Forum or see if you can trade them to your LFS for credit (you won't get much, but better than nothing AND you are not killing a living animal :))

The easiest way is to use 'bone cutters' - google that term and you will see what they are. You can usually get them at a drug store that sells surgical supplies.
moz-screenshot-12.png

Would this one do the job?
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/6-stony-coral-bone-cutter-oceans-wonders.html

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: