• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Sam

Just get baking soda and mix it with water and pour it in, try and put it in an area where you have alot of water movement. Here is a link on it.

I use Arm'N Hammer baking soda plain mix. Don't put to much in as it wouldn't dissolve and turn your tank into the "white Christmas" but even then it's not bad as the system will absobe it.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

DRZL

**ROCKSTAR**
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Originally posted by samksy:
Do you just add any type of baking soda to boost up alk? and how do you do it? Thanks
You can either put it in your water change or if you want to adjust your tanks alk like i did when i first started ...just get a 2L soda bottle clean it out make a hole to put airline tubing and an air restrictor and drip....3 drops a second is good....just make sure your baking soda is totally dissolved...heres a link to know exactly how much to put in...its a calculator so takes out the guesswork for lazy/mathematically inept ppl like myself Calculator

Its a great tool they explain all typs of substances

PS BTW it has to be pure baking soda no fragrances and such, and for low PH sufferers washing soda brings that and alk right up

[ February 02, 2005, 12:43 PM: Message edited by: DRZL ]

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
The biggest problem with buying salt through mail order places right now is the cost of shipping, which has gone up quite a bit over the last couple of years. I would think we would have to buy quite a few buckets to offset the shipping costs, that and everyone would have to want the same salt mix.

Someone needs to do some research and see what type of deals we can get and how many buckets we need to buy.

DRZL

**ROCKSTAR**
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Originally posted by marrone:
Someone needs to do some research and see what type of deals we can get and how many buckets we need to buy.
Are you nominating yourself? :D ;) ..j/k

also it would be nuts because everyone hates everyones elses salt :rolleyes: go figure. As of now i think i will IO at petsmart and oceanic at fisthown will be my route. That 400 gal of salt for $74 or so. Best of both worlds IMO

Mantis806

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
is there a petsmart in the local nyc area? the only ones i've found are in jersey or out on the island. o yea, one in staten island but i never go to staten island.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: