• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

DRZL

**ROCKSTAR**
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey everyone im starting to run low on Oceanic and need to buy some more....it doesnt necessarily have to be oceanic but it would be good if it had high calc as adding baking soda for alk is really cheap....a while back i bought oceanic for $30 for a 200 gal bucket at fishtown around this time maybe its a seasonal thing?

Anyways if youve seen anything drop a line

I know about IO and petsmart price matching

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I'm about to buy a new batch of salt. Jackson, are you saing oceanic has said phosphates?

That might explain my cyano. (either that or the ex didn't do any waterchanges for two months!)

BC

DRZL

**ROCKSTAR**
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Jackson ive seen your threads on RC, when i tested i was good (0)...im not gung ho on oceanic but like not having to dose for calc and mag...there is an "ocean pure" salt made by jebo(?)..which is good in all levels but i have not seen around the tri-state...i will most likley mix IO and oceanic to keep levels good as well as keeping any phosphate problem to half of what it would be ( my fuge should be able to handle the rest)

DRZL

**ROCKSTAR**
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Justin if you go to petsmart.com printout the page to IO salt prices and any local petsmart will price match...they have to its a corporate mandate...i think its was around low 30 for a 160G or 200G bucket...thats where im getting mine from...

now tell me how much gallons were in the tropic marin for 50

FastUno

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Have you guys heard of Crystal Sea Marinemix? We can get that pretty cheap, around $30 per 150mix.

What are your thoughts on this salt? Is anyone using it?

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Originally posted by bad coffee:
Jackson, are you saing oceanic has said phosphates?

BC
Not exactly. There is definitey quite a few buckets of this stuff out there with high Po4. The bucket I bought had a po4 of .5ppm and I got a major algae problem from it. IMO there are wayyyyyy to many complaints from Oceanic users out there to take a chance with this salt. if you get a good bucket though I guess its a good salt :rolleyes:

S

stratus1

Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
well they are saying that theres is best...but it wont change the test results of the others

i personaly think that the quality varies all the time anyway, nothing is consistent and if you have made good experience with one brand, you should probably stick with it

i use deep ocean...so go figure

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I'm sure if the other places did their own testing they could twist the facts in their favor.

I use Tropic Marin, they actually have a new product, I think it's new as I just saw it last week, called Pro Reef. FishTown had it and it was $15 more expensive than the regular Tropic Marin($69-$54). Anyone out there use it yet?

http://www.tropic-marin.com/web/english/homepage.html

S

stratus1

Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
well this is what the claim....

as i said, i used deep ocean *lot of people think its crap as well.... worked for me, its cheap, so i buy it

The S-15? Report? is the first and only independent comparative assay of 15 different brands of artificial or synthetic sea salts. It was commissioned and paid for by Global Scientific Publications. GSP is not in any way affiliated with any manufacturer of sea salts. Nor, is any manufacturer of synthetic sea salts associated with Global Scientific Publications.

ctxmonitor

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Yea, it is a good idea to find some place that sell cheap but good quailty salt. I also just go my IO 160 gal salt from bigal's for $44.. Not as good as your guys..

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
I use the Bio-sea marinemix, and swear by it!! It has great buffering capacity, which is important for a tank with a Ca reactor attached (SPS tank).

I use to use Crystal sea marinemix (I unfortuately got sucked into the BS with the sea urchin lavae paper). It caused huge pH fluctuations in my tank because it is low in Mg and has terrible buffering capacity. Many experienced reefers have had disasters with this salt!!!

[ February 02, 2005, 01:39 AM: Message edited by: solbby ]

FastUno

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Where can we get Bio-sea marinemix?
Did anyone experience of bleaching of corals with the crystal sea marinemix? I know I have!!!!

[ February 01, 2005, 11:47 PM: Message edited by: FastUno ]

samksy

FISHING, I'M IN!!!!
Rating - 100%
346   0   0
Originally posted by DRZL:
Hey everyone im starting to run low on Oceanic and need to buy some more....it doesnt necessarily have to be oceanic but it would be good if it had high calc as adding baking soda for alk is really cheap
Do you just add any type of baking soda to boost up alk? and how do you do it? Thanks

[ February 02, 2005, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: samksy ]

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: