Rating - 100%
19   0   0
they're in Queens on Northern Blvd.

Nice price on that clam. How big is it?

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
FishTown USA is On Northern Blvd., cross street is Frances Lewis Boulevard. One thing they only had two left when I left with mine. Yeaaaah. They're little guys, about 1 1/2" to 2". Australian Maxima Clams.
Hey Justin, thanks again. Keep up the good work guy.
:D

SWW1268

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Awibrandy just told me that there might be some in their big sps tank. (What a good pal.
) You can call them and ask if you're still interested. (718) 539-5396.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Lighting in the 30gl. is 110watt pc., Clammy would have been moving to my 120gl. next week once my canopy was made. That would have included 440watt VHO, and dual 250watt MH. But from what I understand baby clams don't need MH, until they get to be 3", and bigger.
Water parameter: sal. 1.025. ph 8.1 - 8.2, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0, temp. 79.
salinity is up from 1.024 due to evaporation, will be adding water today.
The clam yesterday one day after purchase was totally balled up in the shell. This morning there is no mantle in the shell what so ever. The shell is empty, perhaps the arrow crab, or the peppermint, or hermit ate it. I have no idea as to what happened.
After I bought it, and posted on RC for help. A member stated seeing the clams at FishTown gaping. I am not sure what he meant by this, but I guess I bought a sick clam.
I hope that when I am ready to purchase my next one, someone with experience in purchasing clams will help me out in choosing my next clam. Obviously I can't trust the lfs guys.
Any volunteers in helping a granny wanna be reefer out. :(

Justin_NY

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
first, u cant have arrow crab in your tank if u want to keep a clam. they will eat it.
some of the clam from the FisTown are dying, i guess u choose the wrong one. next time, try to buy the clam when they open, and put your arms across the top of the tank, when the clam is open. if the clam is closing , u have a good clam

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
"first, u cant have arrow crab in your tank if u want to keep a clam. they will eat it."

WOW, all the reading I've done, and never came across this one. I guess the 30gl. is not going to get shut down after all. :D Gotta have a home for Mr. Arrow.
I just came back from "FishTown", one of the people there told me they had gotten 100 clams. And over 90 of them died. So like I said, I choose a dying clam.
bang.gif

P

Pedro

Rating - 100%
182   0   0
That sucks dude. Sorry to hear that. The thing with fishtown is that you have to be extra careful in what you purchase. I normally look at everything for a while just to make sure everything is ok. That should raise a flag when you see maximas for $25. They knew they were dying so they wanted to recoup at least some of the money for them. Next time just choose wisely. Good luck!

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Pedro "Awi", not a dude. Yes I agree with you, when it comes to any lfs you gotta be careful. I have narrowed it down three people I will listen to at FT. The owner Mike, spanish guy - can't remember his name, and Bobby.
Justin, the arrow didn't eat the clam. I just found the remains underneath it's shell.
:rolleyes:

P

Pedro

Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Sorry about the dude, didn't mean any offense by it. I don't listen to any one of them. I do my research here before anything else. I can then go and make my own decisions. About the only guy i get along with is the spanish kid. The owner is abnoxious, and the indian dude knows nothing. JMO

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
No offense taken!! :cool:

"About the only guy i get along with is the spanish kid." He is a nice kid, honest, seems to know what he is talking about. Hasn't steered me wrong yet.
thumb.gif

"The owner is abnoxious," LMAO, that he is, but it doesn't make him a bad person. Just a snob, thats all. :D
"and the indian dude knows nothing." That's an understatement if ever I heard one.
thumb.gif
This idiota is only good for bagging.
I intend to give Mike an earful next time I see him. :D

Easily Distracted

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Originally posted by Pedro:
About the only guy i get along with is the spanish kid.
Pedro,
I'm assuming you should know better. Was this kid from Spain or is he hispanic and from one of the many Spanish speaking countries? Sorry. I'm just kind of touchy about that topic. ...And to think how quickly we would correct someone who referred to us as being from England. Sorry to vent... :D

Justin_NY

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
when u guys talking about spanish guy, which one u guys talking about. there are 2 spanish guys in FishTown. One guy name george, he always stay behing the counter and the other guy name polo.
I get along with all of them. george, he knows a lot of saltwater, i usually listen to him. but otther than him i better do a lot of research over the internet. dont trust the indian guy, vick. he dont know nothing.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: