Status
Not open for further replies.

ireefny

Rating - 97.4%
37   1   0
ich is a parasite folks, its not a mystical creature that can be cured with voodoo, wait, I havent tried voodoo yet :smokin:

the best cure is teach your fish to read, since you obviously dont want to :tongue1:

150reef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I disagree I have a Regular Cleaner Wrasse that is over a year old and is very healthy eating flakes and keeping my tangs ick free. I also have a red sea cleaner wrasse that I had for almost 2 years and it only eats brine and flakes. so it depends on the individual fish.

Tim

Thank you, the way people were making it sound I thought I was the only one that had a cleaner wrasse for sometime.We should flush ours because they will eventually die :) LOL, Guess people here are fast to judge and make a broad comment on a fish because of thier bad experiences or information they read on the net, and also make sarcastic comments just because they were given a forum title. What happened to accepting ones own experience. Guess me and you must be doing something right or not to keep these cleaners alive.

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Freshwater dips usually cause the fish undue stress and the fish then later will die. To make a statement suggesting to do a FW dip without adding that temp and pH must match exactly is irresponsible and where it may be clear to you it may not be clear to others. ( :shhh:FW dips are useless in my meager experience and usually cause more problems than they cure.) Like Marrone stated cryptocaron can live in freshwater for quite some time, and as I have read it can live longer than the fish in FW. Your best bet is to feed garlic extract in the fish food you use, and maintain perfect water pa5rameters if you don't plan on removing all of your fish to a hospital tank and treating with copper in that tank. NEVER TREAT THE DISPLAY TANK unless you only want fish from now on. ALWAYS QUARANTINE NEW FISH. This is the best way to keep from getting these diseases in your tank.

Note the only way to be sure that your tank no longer has Ich is to remove all fish to a hospital tank for a period of 4-6 weeks and leave the display tank fallow(fish less) for that period of time.

Cleaner wrasses can also catch ich and usually take some time to get eating, I'm not expert, but everything I read before coming into the hobby and currently read now say that cleaner wrasses survivability rate in captivity are poor and that they are for advanced aquarists. To suggest to someone whom you have no idea their experience in the hobby is irresponsible and careless.

Last edited:

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I disagree I have a Regular Cleaner Wrasse that is over a year old and is very healthy eating flakes and keeping my tangs ick free. I also have a red sea cleaner wrasse that I had for almost 2 years and it only eats brine and flakes. so it depends on the individual fish.

Tim

This is not the norm, most die within very short period, even when they're eating. Also consider the vast amount of Cleaner wrasse that are sold you should see one in almost every tank picture and you don't.

Last edited:

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Thank you, the way people were making it sound I thought I was the only one that had a cleaner wrasse for sometime.We should flush ours because they will eventually die :) LOL, Guess people here are fast to judge and make a broad comment on a fish because of thier bad experiences or information they read on the net, and also make sarcastic comments just because they were given a forum title. What happened to accepting ones own experience. Guess me and you must be doing something right or not to keep these cleaners alive.

The vast major of Cleaner wrasse die within very short period, even when eating. Some do last for a year or so but most don't. This is a fact and not some made up Sh*t. Also there is no proof that keeping Cleaner wrasse, or for that matter Cleaner shrimp, will keep a tank free from ich and lets not forget that Cleaner wrasse can and do come down with ich themselves. And remember Cleaner wrasse aren't the only fish that clean parasites, many Angels, Wrasse and Hogfish also perform cleaning function, especially when small.

As for "flushing our fish", well if you try and use methods that don't have much chance of working you're basically wasting time in trying to cure your fish, which increases it chance of dying.

It's great to go by your own personal experiences but a lot of time things work out for other reasons that what you set out to do. I suggest you do some reading yourself before you jump to conclusions about whether people are right or wrong.

150reef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Freshwater dips usually cause the fish undue stress and the fish then later will die. To make a statement suggesting to do a FW dip without adding that temp and pH must match exactly is irresponsible and where it may be clear to you it may not be clear to others. ( :shhh:FW dips are useless in my meager experience and usually cause more problems than they cure.) Like Marrone stated cryptocaron can live in freshwater for quite some time, and as I have read it can live longer than the fish in FW. Your best bet is to feed garlic extract in the fish food you use, and maintain perfect water pa5rameters if you don't plan on removing all of your fish to a hospital tank and treating with copper in that tank. NEVER TREAT THE DISPLAY TANK unless you only want fish from now on. ALWAYS QUARANTINE NEW FISH. This is the best way to keep from getting these diseases in your tank.

Note the only way to be sure that your tank no longer has Ich is to remove all fish to a hospital tank for a period of 4-6 weeks and leave the display tank fallow(fish less) for that period of time.

Cleaner wrasses can also catch ich and usually take some time to get eating, I'm not expert, but everything I read before coming into the hobby and currently read now say that cleaner wrasses survivability rate in captivity are poor and that they are for advanced aquarists. To suggest to someone whom you have no idea their experience in the hobby is irresponsible and careless.

Didnt know we were here to guage ones experience prior to giving suggestions, I will make note of that next time. That being said and we could assume this person does not have a clue, maybe you can give him\her some insight as to where they can read up on responsible data (assuming that data is accuarte) on garlic extract, cleaners wrasses- as to why one should not be purchased etc... Also you may want to suggest on how to use garlic extract, how much, how often that would be responsible right? Maybe we should guage first if this person can read english , are they unable to see the directions (you know the print on the bottle is tiny) , is this person unable to follow direction, that would be responsible, right? Or maybe I should have suggested like you to place fish in quarentine because thats the correct approach, but when its placed in the display tank ich just appears even when most said to quarentine all fish, who is to blame then, me, you, society. At what point does this stop. Sorry but I will give advise as to what has worked for me and again its up to the taker of the information to determine the route of approach not for me to gauge his\her age, experience, wealth or lack of knowledge etc... COME ON. Sorry but this erks me, when people are fast to judge becuase they read something somewhere etc. Please dont respond to make yourself feel better, just take my 2 cents as to what has worked for me. It is what it is a suggestion and was not meant at all to be careless or irresponsible. Atleast we agree on the garlic :( Another thing is that other person or me careless and irresponsible because we purhcased cleaners and have manageed to keep them alive or is some other person that also has a meticulous tank and managed to kill an algae blenny (reasonably hardy fish) after one week with reasons unknown? When does it stop with pointing fingers. Now If I said take that fish and put in on a fire and cook it, then I could see where people might come from with careless and irresponsible, but come on!! Thats all I have to say, Ill give you the last word being a moderator and all. Comments seem to be sarcastic around here anyways and I have thick skin, so :)

150reef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
The vast major of Cleaner wrasse die within very short period, even when eating. Some do last for a year or so but most don't. This is a fact and not some made up Sh*t. Also there is no proof that keeping Cleaner wrasse, or for that matter Cleaner shrimp, will keep a tank free from ich and lets not forget that Cleaner wrasse can and do come down with ich themselves. And remember Cleaner wrasse aren't the only fish that clean parasites, many Angels, Wrasse and Hogfish also perform cleaning function, especially when small.

As for "flushing our fish", well if you try and use methods that don't have much chance of working you're basically wasting time in trying to cure your fish, which increases it chance of dying.

It's great to go by your own personal experiences but a lot of time things work out for other reasons that what you set out to do. I suggest you do some reading yourself before you jump to conclusions about whether people are right or wrong.

Thanks for the information about the cleaners and because only a few of us have managed to keep them alive, nobody should buy them and the reason is because people have lost them and the books say so. Maybe you can suggest some readings for me? So basically what your saying is that if you quarantine prior to placing fish in a display tank and it worked marvelous for you and your friend did the samething with of course your supervision (all parameters in the display were perfect, would not expect otherwise), but the fish still got ich. Then I assume it would not be safe to suggest quarantine. Thats basically what your saying about my suggestions. Come on, get real.
This place is ridiculous. Maybe this should be a forum with just moderators \experts. Peoples opinions and suggestions are judged to quickly.

If I suggest that you put your fish on an open flame assuming that will cure ich and the person does that, who was irresponsible towards the fish's death? No need to answer, I'm done.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Thanks for the information about the cleaners and because only a few of us have managed to keep them alive, nobody should buy them and the reason is because people have lost them and the books say so. Maybe you can suggest some readings for me?

Do you think that people should keep buying fish that, for the most part, die in a very short time? Do you think that's a good idea? Do you think that just because a fish is cheap or one or two people can keep it alive for sometime, while most of the time it dies, people should purchase it?

Once again for the vast amount of Cleaner wrasse that are sold each year you should see at least one in every picture of a tank, you don't because most die. They're also purchased, for the most part, to combat ich which they don't do. As for the "book saying so" I'm not sure what book you're talking about but if you do some research on the internet, here, RC, Webmedia and other marine fish places you'll find that most Cleaner wrasse die in very short periods. If you're serious about it I will point you to make links about Cleaner wrasse.

So basically what your saying is that if you quarantine prior to placing fish in a display tank and it worked marvelous for you and your friend did the samething with of course your supervision (all parameters in the display were perfect, would not expect otherwise), but the fish still got ich. Then I assume it would not be safe to suggest quarantine. Thats basically what your saying about my suggestions. Come on, get real.
This place is ridiculous. Maybe this should be a forum with just moderators \experts. Peoples opinions and suggestions are judged to quickly.

From your post I'm not sure you understand what quarantining fish is for.

I quarantine all my fish for anywhere for 2 - 6 weeks or more if possible. In that period almost any diseases should raise its ugly head and can be dealt with before the fish is place in you main tank.

People here can and do post their opinions and methods but Mods, experts and members on the board are going to jump in and make suggest, especially if they see someone posting something that isn't correct. Remember we're dealing with living things here, which most of the time need quick actions or they'll die.

If I suggest that you put your fish on an open flame assuming that will cure ich and the person does that, who was irresponsible towards the fish's death? No need to answer, I'm done.
This is just silly.

Last edited:

jbeanz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks for all the info and concerns guys the fish have been sold but I WILL comeback and give it a shot after graduation, I simply cant afford the losses on my lame college budget :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: