• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

D

DEEPWATER

he is asking 650 ,you can get it for less if you ask

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
jhale said:
it's only 8 weeks old, is it normal to sell a bird that young?
Yup, I got Chubby when he was just weened onto seeds. He could barely balance on a perch, he kept on falling off for the first days and I had to pick him up and put him back on.

If someone does get it make sure its been weened onto seed or pellets or both.

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
345   0   0
jhale said:
it's only 8 weeks old, is it normal to sell a bird that young?
oh yes ,,you wanto hand feed your bird ,,this way it has the connection of you feeding it the way its mother woul din the wild ,,i got sonny at 3 months ,and coco at 2 or a bit less,,coco dint even have all her feathers,couldnt pick her head up ,or barly walked for 2 or weeks ,,so the younger the better ,but not less then 2 months or so l,unless you know how to take care of them ,most LPS wont let you take them home till they are 4 or so months old

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Not too much ,,J,
It wasnt that hard for me to learn ,You need time ,just like a reef tank
But the out come is a lot different ,these birds live 60 to 80 yrs and become as one of your own . getting one is a life time commitment. But a good one ,Most ppl abuse these birds when they are at ayoung age ,So when they get older they are mean,,.
My Parrots are not mean ,,Sony is bonded to me so he is a bit protective ,but Coco is more a ppl parrot ,She like ppl ,,In a way that is weird cuz African greys seem to be a nasty bird ,where coco is not ,

A

AndyMon

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
DEEPWATER said:
Not too much ,,J,
..........,In a way that is weird cuz African greys seem to be a nasty bird ,where coco is not ,
More likely, their superior intelligence causes them to be more cautious and less accepting of new things, especially from strangers. This probably helps them to live longer. :D

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
AndyMon said:
their superior intelligence :D
100% true as hel l,,these parrots are smarter then some ppl i know ,,lol

Last edited:
D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JoshSaul said:
I would love to buy one, but I would only be treating my cats to the most expensive dinner ever!
I hope your cat can handle its beak ,,and nails ,,this is not a small parrot ,josh ,,only 2 1/2 or somewhat ft long ,head to tail ,,beak has the power to break your bones on a single press ,,,nails are sharp ,depending how many times you take tothe LFS to get it trimed ,,other wise ,your cat better have it offence down packed or he (the cat )will be in trouble ,

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rick505 said:
i'd love to have a macaw but i'm not comfortable caring for such a young parrot.
my quaker is a joy to be around!
that is the best age to get those type parrot ,they ned to be taking care at a young age so you can train them to bond to you ,and not come to you from another owner ,they are smart ,they know when thing ae diff ,not just a reg pet this parrot need you to live ,you will become its mate ,other brother ,or whatever they think you are to them ,other wise ,getting them at a older age will give a prob if the old owner did treat the parrot right ,

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Well, I have three Abys with their claws, and they hunt in packs, like little velociraptors. If you throw a toy on the ground they will all take one side of an imaginary square and run at the toy from the sides. Its pretty neat to watch.

They also sit in the windowsill all day and growl at pidgeons, so a parrot as a baby brother is probably not going to happen.

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
DEEPWATER said:
Not too much ,,J,
It wasnt that hard for me to learn ,You need time ,just like a reef tank

Like the analogy but I don't think it comes that easy to most. Hand feeding a baby parrot is time consuming and a constant job. The "slurry" needs to be the perfect temp and mixed just right. My LFS where I got Chubby, hand-feeds birds. I saw them feed these baby quakers and it's definately not an easy job. Chance of a bird choking is pretty good and you need to be able to tell when the baby is full cause it'll just keep on going, not to mention the chance of burning the throat of the baby if the food is too hot. And they need to be feed constantly meaning every few hours when new born. At 2 months I'm guess he/she still needs a good three to four feedings a day.

Just to much risk IMO if the bird isn't weened onto seed. I feel comfortable with birds, but I doubt I'd try hand feeding without some experienced helping me out the first few weeks.

Another nickel dropped.
-Kris

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
345   0   0
nanoreefer22 said:
Like the analogy but I don't think it comes that easy to most. Hand feeding a baby parrot is time consuming and a constant job. The "slurry" needs to be the perfect temp and mixed just right. My LFS where I got Chubby, hand-feeds birds. I saw them feed these baby quakers and it's definately not an easy job. Chance of a bird choking is pretty good and you need to be able to tell when the baby is full cause it'll just keep on going, not to mention the chance of burning the throat of the baby if the food is too hot. And they need to be feed constantly meaning every few hours when new born. At 2 months I'm guess he/she still needs a good three to four feedings a day.

Just to much risk IMO if the bird isn't weened onto seed. I feel comfortable with birds, but I doubt I'd try hand feeding without some experienced helping me out the first few weeks.

Another nickel dropped.
-Kris
I dont think it was that hard ,,I didnt know a thing about parrots wheni got Sonny ,he was on 2 -3 feeding a day ,wasa breeze for me to learn ,yes time i have ,but just like a reef tank ,you need time ,care ,,
Feeding 50 parrots is a job yes ,but not 1 Plus getting them at that age give them a better bond as a ower ,,that what you want as a parrot owner ,as i stated before ,feeding them at that age ,give them the thought that you are their parents ,so they bond .Sonny and Coco where hand fed by me ,and both are bonded now ,Althou Coco lives at my moms apt ,Wheni wlak through the door ,Coco gos Coocoo ,starts to make noices ,Says ,Gimme kiss ,when she sees me at time ,( that what i say to her when i see her ,action to reaction),,but realy cool ,,,

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
345   0   0
BUt for a macaw ,,that a whole diff parrot ,very big ,needs lots and lots of cage space ,eats alot ,sh!ts alot ,and make a hell of a mess ,,thats 2 and half ft of bird ,If you think Chubby ,or Sonny has a set of lungs ,wait till a macaw does their mating call ,,

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
DEEPWATER said:
I dont think it was that hard ,,I didnt know a thing about parrots wheni got Sonny ,he was on 2 -3 feeding a day ,wasa breeze for me to learn ,yes time i have ,but just like a reef tank ,you need time ,care ,,
Feeding 50 parrots is a job yes ,but not 1 Plus getting them at that age give them a better bond as a ower ,,that what you want as a parrot owner ,as i stated before ,feeding them at that age ,give them the thought that you are their parents ,so they bond .Sonny and Coco where hand fed by me ,and both are bonded now ,Althou Coco lives at my moms apt ,Wheni wlak through the door ,Coco gos Coocoo ,starts to make noices ,Says ,Gimme kiss ,when she sees me at time ,( that what i say to her when i see her ,action to reaction),,but realy cool ,,,

I bonded with my Chubby but he wasn't hand feed by me ;). Just takes some TLC when you first get the little guy or in this case big guy. Just my opinion though, I wouldn't do it and wouldn't reccomend it to anyone thats not knowledgable about hand feeding.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: