• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Jim

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Is this Oregon or Cali tort and which is a faster grower?

Attachments

• IMG_5407.jpg
    IMG_5407.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 1,212
  • IMG_5405.jpg
    IMG_5405.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 710
  • IMG_5404.jpg
    IMG_5404.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 689

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Jim I'm not sure if it's an oregon. Oregon torts that I've seen and had always had a smooth "deep water" look to it. Similar to a granulosa but grows like a stag. I think yours looks closer to a cali tort or some other type of tort. I have mariculture torts that look just like cali torts :) Anything is possible, and this could be an oregon looking a little different in your reef. Where did you originally get it?

One more thing, I never saw a white growth tip on an Oregon tort, even the fastest growing ones. I see a white growth tip on yours which leads me to believe it may not be an oregon.

This is a pic that I borrowed from Reefbum. All oregon torts that I've seen and had look like this.
jan2610tankpic11a.jpg

Here is a frag I'm growing out in my current reef

Attachments

• IMG_8025.jpg
    IMG_8025.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 674
Last edited:

Jim

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Jim I'm not sure if it's an oregon. Oregon torts that I've seen and had always had a smooth "deep water" look to it. Similar to a granulosa but grows like a stag. I think yours looks closer to a cali tort or some other type of tort. I have mariculture torts that look just like cali torts :) Anything is possible, and this could be an oregon looking a little different in your reef. Where did you originally get it?

One more thing, I never saw a white growth tip on an Oregon tort, even the fastest growing ones. I see a white growth tip on yours which leads me to believe it may not be an oregon.

Actually I'm almost positive it came from Reefbum. I had puchashed a few frags from him years ago including Purple Monster (which did not survive )and don't remember the names of them.

polywise

OLD SCHOOL-ish
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Jim,
I bought some coral from reefbum in the past, and he did have this type of OBT in his tank, but not for sale when I was there (his picture),

I ave had both Cali and OBT in my tank in the past, Cali is more of a darker blue vs a visually lighter blue in the OBT

jackson6745, the frag of purple monster I was offering to give you at one time is actually from the colony in the background in the picture you put up.

Jim, also remember the PM frag I gave you? did not look very purple right?
For some reason, in my tank it grows very, very, light purple, almost on the blueish side -- but it is growing

Attachments

• OBT.jpg
    OBT.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 195

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
Rick , what the name on bottom pic. under blue tort, the one w/lots of hair and pink tips color, i got 2, mariculture , the do very well on me. Thank You.

Attachments

• IMG_8025.jpg
    IMG_8025.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: