bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
I know alot of the hardcore SPS Dominant Tanks use Ozone and im on the fence if I should go in that route as my tank progresses. Im looking for advise, experiences bad or good, overall noticeable effects on your corals and water quality and is it worth it. also i would like to know preferably the best Ozone equipment you could have or would have bought if you hadnt already. please include if your running a UV Sterilizer as well or not since some believe you may not need one if you have the other again depending on the size of the equipment.

Last edited:

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
UV is currently being used for the health of my fish after a massive ich outbreak years ago since then I havent had any ich or issue with my fish and it definitely cleared the water as well. I know of a few sps reefers that run ozone for various reasons, health of the corals seems to be the most prominent. Clarity of water and light penetration to the corals is a major reason as well. Is it overkill? Mabe but if it gives the corals and water a boost then why not? People dose prodibio and zeovit to boost their systems so why shouldnt they use ozone as well ?

Last edited:
Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
I agree about UV for fish health and a side benefit is improved water clarity. Ozone just seems unecessary and potentially hazardous if not done right. GAC should be able to handle water clarity just fine. I just think keeping it as simple as possible is always the best route to take and the vast majority of drop dead gorgeous reefs I am aware of don't use ozone, so the benefit seems to be minimal at best.

I don't have it in front of me, but I'll take a look at the reef specs in Vargas' Reef book and see how many list ozone as part of their systems. I'm wagering very, very few.

Does that mean you can't/ shouldn't use it? Well, of course not. I'm just not sure why anyone would feel the need to.

JBNY

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use ozone on my tanks and have been using it for about 12 years. I wouldn't run my tank without it. I only run it for about 8 hours a day, mainly when the MH lights are on. No reason for it being on only with the MH, just that have it running when the lights are on to help with water clarity and during the day is when ORP levels are low so that is what I chose.

It makes a big difference in how clear the tank looks, and gets better light penetration, so it's a win win.

greg 45

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Running ozone has its benefits. You can do a par reading before you use it and after . It makes a big difference. Everyone thinks its cheeper to purchase carbon . A one time purchase of a good quality ozone reactor goes a long way. I have had my ozotec for many a year.

JBNY

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know that Joe. What benefits do you perceive? Anything beyond clearer water?

I think it also helps in the removal of dissolved organics, I have my ozone injected into my skimmer. I think the skimmer pulls more out of the water when the ozonator is running.

So joe if your running it for 12 years how can you tell if your water is clearer with it?

I think that mostly it is that I can tell instantly if someone else is not running ozone on their tank. Tanks running ozone have sort of sparkle in the water that you don't get by just carbon alone. Also I find it pretty hard to bleach corals when using carbon, I know a lot of people have problems when running carbon that they tend to bleach their corals. I have never had that problem when running ozone.

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Your spot on JB. My reasonings for going the ozone route is that carbon just doesn't agree with my corals unless I need it to neutralize an issue other than than that it will strip my water. All sps tanks ive seen running ozone look pristine. Now for the next question. What reactor and ozonizer, media would you suggest for a massive water volume upwards 1000 gallons.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
What I'm getting at is I don't clean my coraline off the back wall. With that my tank can look a little on the less clear side but it's not. If I clean the coraline my tank looks crystal clear. Other people may not run socks or have a different spectrum of light so again don't look as clear. Ozone may or may not be contributing to the ozone and your tank may do just as well without running it

JBNY

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get what your saying. Do I think that ozone makes for a successful tank? Absolutely not. A lot of other things go into making your tank successful. I like using it because it helps keep the water crystal clear and I don't have to do anything to it. My Apex turns it on and off. The unit itself last for years and years.

You don't need to run it at all. But you can tell a tank that runs ozone when you look at it the water just "looks" different. Not saying it is good or bad. Just giving my experience with it. I have had periods where I didn't run it, for one reason or another. But I always go back to using it, mainly because I like the difference it makes in my system.

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
I get what your saying. Do I think that ozone makes for a successful tank? Absolutely not. A lot of other things go into making your tank successful. I like using it because it helps keep the water crystal clear and I don't have to do anything to it. My Apex turns it on and off. The unit itself last for years and years.

You don't need to run it at all. But you can tell a tank that runs ozone when you look at it the water just "looks" different. Not saying it is good or bad. Just giving my experience with it. I have had periods where I didn't run it, for one reason or another. But I always go back to using it, mainly because I like the difference it makes in my system.
id like to know also about your skimmer as i have heard that the ozone destroys acrylic. Have you have any issue with that when injecting it in to the skimmer.also, what would you say would be the best ozone equipment you would buy that would last, so many options with dual drying ect.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: