TheTankEMT

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
So Hello -

I have a tank I set up 2 years ago and it has been one headache to another from the start. I have never had any issues with sps or lps even when I used to make water in a bathtub mix the salt in and pour it in my tank.

Now I use RO DI, I ran Pellets for a year and tried all manners of high end gadgets coming up with crappy results. I have tried aminos also.

CA 420
Alk 8.3
MG 1500
Salinity 1.026
PHOS/NT both 0

I stopped skimming all together and am Running only chaeto with a grow light. I have half of my sps doing ok the other half brown and dying or bleached looking and dying. I have 4 ecotech radion g4 pros over a 90 runnnig at 60% max 1-10 hour ramp each way on coral lab preset for phoenix.

ANY SUGGESTIONS? I no longer run pellets for several months and stopped skimming a month ago I stepped up feeding thinking I needed to pull nitrate and phos up off of zero.

I NEVER had these issues in my old tank run all traditional - skimmer and t5.

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
May be the light change ?!
"I have 4 ecotech radion g4 pros over a 90 runnnig at 60% max 1-10 hour ramp "
Before you got T5 .

Hove75

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I also use cheato and zero on everything but i feed mysis twice a day heavey and mysis is high in pos and my corals are doing great try feeding thing high is pos and see if that works

Last edited:

Chefjpaul

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
The reason I like to dose is consistency for a trial and error, there is no guessing.

Feeding heavy is dependent upon the animals and consumption, rotten foods etc can become fluctuating, while dosing using a calculator can be more accurate.

This accuracy can help find a level you like to maintain in the particular aquarium for whatever reason. Then find away to maintain there using methods suitable for that tank then, be it keep dosing, finding the proper amount of livestock vs filtration vs export etc. Just easy to get that base IMO

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

reefer4eva

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
282   0   0
I had the same problems In the past with zero nitrates and phosphates...i been using Seachem flourish nitrogen
Which is meant for planted freshwater tanks and had been working miracles for getting my nitrates up..
Judge for yourself from the pic I provided

Attachments

• 20170911_193918.jpg
    20170911_193918.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 546

reefer4eva

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
282   0   0
question about the flourish though - how do you dose being that its marine or is the calculation the same as fresh water?

I would'nt use the calculator as it is there to calculate what is needed for a planted aquarium..what I did was test my nitrates before I started dosing then test 24 hrs after I start dosing. Then bump it up wait 24 hrs test again. ..take it slow as this is potent stuff and will raise your nitrates fast and might cause more harm then good
End results are well worth it though

Attachments

• 20170622_194037.jpg
    20170622_194037.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 342
Last edited:

Chefjpaul

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
It says right on the calculator directions:

"Considerations: If using a ?nitrate equivalent? value for Current and Desired Nitrogen levels, divide the result by 5."

It works great for me, no difference in testing consistently for desired results.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

TheTankEMT

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Well the amazon order is placed. I truly appreciate you guys taking the time to answer me.

Should I stop skimming remove chaeto, gfo, carbon? If i am putting it in they will take it out... It all seems counter intuitive.

Last edited:

reefer4eva

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
282   0   0
Well the amazon order is placed. I truly appreciate you guys taking the time to answer me.

Should I stop skimming remove chaeto, gfo, carbon? If i am putting it in they will take it out... It all seems counter intuitive.

The chaeto actually grew more using the flourish ..as far as gfo or carbon I wouldn't know as I never used either of them..I only run my skimmer 3 days a week

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: