• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I think 2 part is easier. Kalk would make my Alk high and calcium would always have to be bumped up. Some nice looking corals that you added :)

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Koolaidreef: my buddy helped me with it but right the right supplies and tools its very simple. There's alot of threads on here and the internet for simple step by step stand builds that I looked into. They list everything needed, what measurements to make and how to put it all together. IMO its well worth it to DIY then spend 300+ on a stand that IMHO are all made like crap. I was not impressed by the stands Deep Blue sell.

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
thanks eric, 2-300 tops. I dont have a large bioload but as I keep adding SPS frags and the ones I have grow out, the importance for a slightly over sized skimmer comes into play. So im not sure if I should go with one rated for 75 gallons or something for around 100gallons.

also, I do not have a skimmer section in my sump, so I was thinking of running an exterior skimmer on the other hand I could suck it up and divide my refuge area to stick a skimmer in there. Im not sure which is a better way to go.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
Take a look at the Warner Marine MF-121. I know I keep recommending it, but it's really a great skimmer. And I've used many. An SRO 1000int would also work very well. Sea side Aquatics get good reviews but I've never used them.

I would definitely recommend running an internal skimmer. They're just typically much more productive than HOB's. Externals can work also but they are typically more power to run, there's a smaller selection to choose from, and what happens when your skimmer cup overflows? A big mess.

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
IMG_4107.jpg

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Thanks bud.

I'm a big fan of the AV lights. They are built very well as far as I can tell. I personally haven't done par readings but they told me they got resulted as good if not better than Acan's. at the price point they are a no brainer.

The sump light is from lowes and is sold with the clamp. Can't remember the light but its a cheap one sold there too.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Thanks bud.

I'm a big fan of the AV lights. They are built very well as far as I can tell. I personally haven't done par readings but they told me they got resulted as good if not better than Acan's. at the price point they are a no brainer.

The sump light is from lowes and is sold with the clamp. Can't remember the light but its a cheap one sold there too.

nice! sounds good!, i ended up getting the acan leds for my new 90g build but i am going to get there lights for my frag tank i think. i really like the aqua scape and looks sick with everything mounted up. where on the island are u at?

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Yes I have the two mp10's in anti sync mode and everything seems happier.

Its an on going progress as you know lol never feels done but thats the best part about the hobby. Right now im in Roslyn/Westbury but im moving within a few months to the tip of the north shore on the water in Glen Cove.

Crossing my fingers on moving the tank! which bring me to an update:

I figured since Im moving the tank anyway, I Picked up the MarineLand 60 gallon cube today from my boys over at Aquarium Village! I liked the Deep Blue rimless 60 cube but the overflow on the Marineland is WAY smaller than the deep blue and from having this rimless tank I realized Its never really rimless when I have a screen on it at all times. With the Marineland, the screen will fit snug into the top instead of sitting on top of the glass.

All the over sized equipment I have on the 30gallon is perfect for the 60 so it seemed like a no brainer since im doing all of the work of breaking down the tank anyway.

NOW I CAN HAVE SAND! going cocaine white fine grain!
Ill keep the 30 gallon as a frag tank.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
^ sounds good man. You'll like the Marineland tank. The slim overflow can be a PITA to work with but once you set it up the extra space in the tank is nice.

You might want to rethink the fine grain sand though... Even with the extra depth to work, fine grain sands tend to cloud the water up and move all over the place.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: