• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Here is my first upgrade documenting my 30gal 24x24x13 "frag" tank nano reef build. Here is my first SW tank's thread with my 9gal Eheim aquastyles cube:

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/nano-tanks/121571-eheim-aquastyle-9gal-setup.html

This tank will be mostly SPS and my first attempt at keeping it. Been doing alot of research on the forums, and speaking with many of you awesome people here on MR and I think im ready. This will be a slow process so I will update here periodically.

Equipment thus far:
-DP tank 30gal
-Custom stand
-1 MP10W es (might need a 2nd one)
-ViaAqua Titanium heater
-Eshopps RS100 sump. (about 20-25gal) Chateo & Rubble rock
-Eshopps PSK100-H skimmer
-ReefKeeper controller (still waiting on some parts)
-DB Triton 3 return pump
-BRS dual reactors GFO&Carbon
-MJ900 for BRS reactors
-LFS Aquarium Village 12" LED dimmable LED fixture. RB&W
-LEDTRIC Par38 "zooman" full spec 18w reef lamp
(Royal Blue / White / True Violet / Red / Cyan)
-Eheim AquaLight LED for fuge. 6500K
-JBJ ATO w/ Aqua Lifter
-bunch of Real Reef rock from my last tank, as well as some marco rock
-IO reef crystals/ Sea Pure pre-made sea water
-API master test kit. Salifert CAL/ALK/MAG test kits
-Refractometer

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
IMG_3836_zps108fc06f.jpg

IMG_3836_zps108fc06f.jpg

IMG_3834_zpse3e45dea.jpg

IMG_3833_zps2c7187c0.jpg

IMG_3838_zps0190f725.jpg

IMG_3829_zpseeff6193.jpg

IMG_3828_zps4457fb50.jpg

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I could use some HONEST feed back on the aquascape. I just finished messing around with it with what ever rock I had already. Not sure about the out of water pieces though. What do you guys think?

Im going to get a nice shelf piece of Real Reef and create another platform or two. Trying to create places for SPS

And I forgot to mention, its bare bottom! (we'll see how long that lasts)

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
@JOHANNA- ill post more pics tm. Its nice to have a friend with a custom architectural mill work factory =]

@Jonny- Any rhyme or reason for this? Besides the looks of it, anything wrong with it? I was thinking it may hold too much detritus being in the way or the overflow and all. I have two return spray nozzles coming out of it

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
The problem your going to have with the rock out of the water is that part of it will be wet, above water, and growing algae giving you that lagoon smell. You might want to think about submerging it. Its a really cool piece to not use underwater.

Other than that the tank looks great aquascape wise, I like the rock sticking out of the water idea, the practicality of it might not work. And your equipment looks good too aside from some small tweaks.

The MP10 is more than enough flow for the tank, you won't need a second unless you want to alternate the flow in the tank. Return + MP10 = enough flow for a 30g.

Also, I would think about changing those dual BRS reactors to something smaller. Just for size, a reactor similar to a two little fishies reactor, with half of it with carbon and half GFO is more than enough for your 30g tank with tumble room for the media in the reactor.

Other than that everything looks fine.

Rating - 100%
88   0   0
I ran my tank with rock outside the water for over a year in a half on my current build. If you want a little breach I would say fine, but a full rock outside no.

If your running random flow from the mp10, certain areas consistently get wet and it will cause algae problems in that area and cause cycles, not a full cycle but a diatom cycle. I had problems for months and months and its not only me who has experienced this. The rock is porous and will hold water like a sponge which will get stagnant. Would be very important to have a constant flow running and just isn't worth it for no real benefit.

It took months and flow placement for mine to stop happening.

Which is exactly why I did not keep a waterfall any longer...

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Ill see how the exposed parts do. They might just need to be cleaned every so often which isn't the biggest deal. I don't want to submerge them because it's not rock. Just dead coral.

I only fill the reactors half way now anyway, I don't see why I would spend money on a smaller one just to use a little less GDP/carbon

I may add a small Hydor 180 behind the rock in front of the overflow and turn it on periodically to kick up detritus. There's a lot of holes and caves anyway so I don't foresee dead spots.

Adding a new BTA tonight. And will give it a day or two alone in the tank so see where it ends up before adding other corals

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
That dead coral will turn purple from coraline growth and look more like rock in a few months and is perfectly safe underwater. If i were you I would rethink about what Johnny said and redo that part of your aquascape if Johnny's recommendation wasn't enough =)

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I just tested CAL and KH/ALK for my first time. Had to pinpoint the readings but this is what I got.

CAL- 460
KH- 9.6
ALK- 3.42
MAG- 1380
Salinity- 1.026

No ammonia, No trites/trates, PH of 8.2

What do you guys think of these numbers? Is the cal too high?

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Your numbers look fine, your not dosing are you?

Salinity should be a little lower at 1025

I run my tank a little lower but you'll only figure out your levels over time.

I shoot for 8.0-8.5 alk, 420-450 cal, and 1300 mag, 1025 salinity..

Your within acceptable range so it's up to you what you would like to keep your tank at once your stocked and begin dosing (when needed)

I keep my ph at around 8.0

Last edited:

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I'm not currently dosing but expecting too once I add a big bio load. Researching the best option but it seems getting a doser is my next purchase. A cal reactor seems like it would take a lot of dialing in and not to mention expensive.

What are some other corals that would thrive in this tank? Being that its a 13" shallow tank with high lighting and moderate to high flow. I'm not expecting my acan to do well. I was thinking of trying recordias/Yumas on the bare bottom?

Also thinking of throwing a mangrove on the top

Rating - 100%
88   0   0
I like the idea of running the full spectrum par with the other light. Was a good idea!

I would suggest slowing down on adding anything else at this point for a while. No sense adding anything until you allow the tank to mature a little and for you to get an idea of consumption, flow, and placement.

Your not in the clear just yet with that bta, not saying its going to move but i wouldn't add anything until it has a chance to adjust to your final lights % and flow..I would slowly ramp up the flow so it Is as high as you can go while indirectly hitting everything (always a pain in the butt, but with bare bottom it's always easier)

I don't see any problem with your tank being 12-13", my left tank is 7". You seem like you have mounted your lights a nice distance above the waterline. You can slowly ramp up the light over a course of weeks. Your placement of corals will be your key to success. Generally Sps on top and lps zoos and softies on mid or the sand bed (or in your case bottom)

A doser is a nice piece of equipment, they take some dialing in as well. Manually dosing is fine in nanos and I would suggest it for the beginning until your able to dial in your consumption and understand what exactly is going on.

You have a very nice equipment list and start to this tank and it shows you have done a great deal of research.

Just my opinion but anyone can keep Sps, but to have them thrive is a another story. I would allow this tank to mature a few months, mainly to allow yourself to get a hang of the feeding limits and other hick ups before overloading this tank with corals. Sps tanks have a mind of their own and it doesn't help when your system is unstable (new) and your new..(some of your questions show your lack of knowledge in some areas, which is fine! Just don't want to see you waste any money or anything die. You literally can look at your tank, say wow, go to sleep and wake to a healthy piece dead or dying without understanding and having an immature tank an being an new reefer will definitely increase the risk of future problems.

good luck and just keep asking away questions

-jonny!

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I need some suggestions.

KALK OR 2 PART DOSING?

I know kalk is easier to dose and control than dosing 2 part, but which is better for the system? Iv done tons of reading and youtube on both and I cant decide which is best for my system. I dont want to start using kalk than realize its not going to cut it

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: