• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

RonsterNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I am considering upgrading to a 180g acrylic from a 120g glass. Would anyone know the pros and cons and the weight differentials as well as the length/width/depth? Also, where would you get one? Thanks!

Ron

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
if you go with acrylic contact Paul / Kimoyo , he builds the best acrylic tanks I've seen in the NY area.

as for the glass vs acrylic debate it's been gone over and over. no matter what you do the acrylic will scratch, depending on how careful you are they can be scratches you can live with. other than that one con, I like acrylic.

RonsterNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
if you go with acrylic contact Paul / Kimoyo , he builds the best acrylic tanks I've seen in the NY area.

as for the glass vs acrylic debate it's been gone over and over. no matter what you do the acrylic will scratch, depending on how careful you are they can be scratches you can live with. other than that one con, I like acrylic.

thanks Jonathan. I am really mostly concerned with the weight and space needed. I live on a top floor apartment and I'd hate for the tank to come crashing down the guy below me :tub:. Scratches - I am sure I can be extra gentle :inlove:

jhart

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
i like acrylic, for one thing nowhere's as heavy as glass, better optical viewing, , but scratches easy, but so does low iron glass, so when someone says it scratches yes it dose and yes you can buff it out, not that easy with glass when it gets scratches, plus regular glasss has that greenish color , but acrylic after a while years and years it can turn yellowish, also acrylic dosent break as easy as glass duh... I think acrylic is so much clearer than glass. glass is cheaper too for the most part..so it up too you, if you have to carry a tank up a bunch of flight of stairs, That would be my decideing factor.. good luck

RonsterNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
i like acrylic, for one thing nowhere's as heavy as glass, better optical viewing, , but scratches easy, but so does low iron glass, so when someone says it scratches yes it dose and yes you can buff it out, not that easy with glass when it gets scratches, plus regular glasss has that greenish color , but acrylic after a while years and years it can turn yellowish, also acrylic dosent break as easy as glass duh... I think acrylic is so much clearer than glass. glass is cheaper too for the most part..so it up too you, if you have to carry a tank up a bunch of flight of stairs, That would be my decideing factor.. good luck

yeah...i remember carrying my tank four flights up the stairs...that was a beotch! i want to find a way to increase the size without adding more weight - that is very important factor in this!

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I think the Acrylic is so much clear and brighter than glass, even the low iron glass. It does scratch so you need to be careful. Once you go acrylic you'll never want a glass tank again.

The panels on an acrylic are a lot thinner than a glass tank,which if you plan on getting a larger tank, 6'+ tank, you wouldn't need heavy duty magnets to clean the glass. Also the tank is a lot lighter, two people can pick up a 6' tank without any problems.

Just beware as with acrylic tank you can get fish like puffers, as their teeth can scratch the acrylic. You also need to leave some room in between the front glass and the rocks as snail can also cause scratches as they climb up rocks next to the front glass.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: