Tank reached 38 years old...in 2009!

Paul B

Manhattan Reefs
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
One of my Chinese lights croaked. This is the third one I replaced since I am living here for the last three years. I guess you can only get about two years out of these things.
Now I buy the cheapest ones for like a hundred bucks because no matter what they cost, they only last about two years even though LEDs are advertised to last like 100 years. :oops:

I am going to buy a spare because I know I will need another one soon.

Paul B

Manhattan Reefs
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
If it ever stops raining here I would like to change some water. I don't remember changing any since last summer and I don't want to read back through my posts to figure out when it was. I am not a big water change person and it probably almost never has to be changed but I just feel it should be done eventually.

Paul B

Manhattan Reefs
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I just finished a new lamp. This is made out of a solid brass locomotive oiler from the 1850s. It incorporates a firebulb and two ultraviolet, glowing glass tubes.

Lamp.jpg

Paul B

Manhattan Reefs
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Beautiful day here in Long Island today so I collected 40 gallons of water behind my house.
The alk was 7 and the temp was 40. I didn't test calcium but the salinity is 1.016.
It is crystal clear so I don't have to do anything to it except warm it up and maybe add some salt.

Collecting.jpg

Water.jpg

Paul B

Manhattan Reefs
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I am sitting in my workshop/Man cave waiting for my collected water to heat up and I notice the salinity is way to low. I threw in some salt but I don't have enough. Of course I also tested the water in my reef and that is also way to low. :unsure:

I can probably keep kissing gouramies and catfish in there but I don't want to keep those fish so I am going to go to a local Petco to see if they carry salt. I have never been in there so while I am there, maybe I can pick up a moorish Idol or Achilles tang :rolleyes:

To heat my water quickly I fill a 5 gallon water cooler bottle and fill it with hot tap water to float in there. In 15 minutes or so, the water is the right temperature.