• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I have not seen my watchman gobies for a few weeks so I figured they croaked. I searched this morning behind the rocks in the tank with a flashlight and they are doing fine. The pair is still together, actually right on top of each other. :love1: I guess they found new friends and just don't want to hang around with me any more. :sad1:
I occasionally would see one darting from rock to rock but I never saw both of them together.
I have 4 or 5 of them (I am really not sure) but I can find them in there also. I just can't count them because some look the same.
None of them ever come to the front of the tank anymore which is fine as long as I know they are alive and "happy" :D
When they were young, they always stayed in the front. I wish I could turn the tank around because most of the fish are back there.
I had a 5" cusk eel for 18 years and never saw or fed the thing unless I searched with a flashlight at night.
To update the algae trough, it is working flawlessly for free. It is filled with hair algae and there is absolutely no algae in the tank itself.
Gobieggs006.jpg

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Hi Paul, thanks for sharing!:) I love these little guys, and was so very sad when I found Little Harry my little chameleon diying a couple of months back. I missed him poking his little head out of my zoa garden, and darting around snatching food away from the big guys terribly.;( Last weekend I got a very small one at Total Aquarium. Never one to name fish, but he is known as Harry II.:)
He is actually swim around the front bottom edge of my 155 BF, guess he hasn't found the zoa garden, or it is just not to his liking.
Think I'll get him a friend if I find another.;)

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Awilda sorry about Harry. But better him than you.
I can't count all the animals I lost in the last 6 decades but I probably could have started a nice size public aquarium.
As long as you are OK thats all that matters. I eat fish almost every day and if I fretted over each fish, I would need phyciatry hlp. (I can't even spell that)

When you say the tank is 38 years old what do you mean exactly??

Jaa that is a good question and not as simple as it sounds.
The tank was initially started as fresh in the early 60s. I got drafted in 69 and when I got home the lone catfish had died the week earlier. Then I made it brackish in 1971. After a year or two, saltwater fish started to become available and I bought some of the first blue devils on display in Manhattan in Aquarium Stock Company near theTrade Center. I gradually added more salt and it became full salt in 1972. It was a 40 gallon tank then which was considered large at the time.
I got married and moved to my own home in 1974 where everything was moved to a 100 gallon, long tank.
From that time it has never been emptied or crashed where I lost all the animals although I did lost many animals to ich. There was no liquid copper in those days or information or internets and everything was trial and error.
So that is exactly what I mean when I say the tank is 38 years old.
So you could say it is really 36 or 35 years old depending on if you count when it was originally started in the new glass.
You can call it any age you like but it is cycled either way. :smokin:
This is the original tank circa 1973. The 7 blue devils are spawning and they lived over 7 years.
I look exactly the same right down to the hair and watchband, as Awilda can tell you.

Oldtankandme.jpg

This top picture shows the male blue devil over his nest of eggs in that barnacle shell.
The lower picture appeared in (either) FAMA, or Aquarium Fish Magazine in the eightees (I don't remember) I collected that urchin, I used to have an urchin collection business called "Urchin Searchin"

scan0003.jpg

And here is some of my reading material at the time

scan0012.jpg

Last edited:

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Today I tried to rinse the sponge I have on the intake of my reverse UG filter and when I removed it from the pump, amphipods were jumping all over the place.
I didn't want to lose them so I just put the sponge back. Now I will buy aother sponge to put on the pump and I will just lay this one in the tank until the amphipods find a new home. These are the offspring of the ones I collect by the thousands in the summer.
Whenever I raise the anchor on my boat, they jump all over the front of the boat.
They are fantastic things to have in your reef but you really need to collect them initially.
I don't think anyone sells them.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I have a couple of old hermits that are spawning. I don't remember when I got them but it is at least 12 years or longer ago.
The male in the foreground has her pushed up against that bubble coral. He is pushing her so hard that he is lifting her and the 8" bubble coral. I am surprised that he can lift all of that with his right claw being he is a lefty.
How do I know they are spawning?
I will ask him when he comes back from having his cigarette.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: