• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Deep Dive Coral

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
hey guys here is my new tank build.

this is going to be 100% fully custom. everything from the stand, to the tank, to the lighting, and the canopy..

this is the equiptment.
-panworld 100px-x this running the closed loop
-ocean motion squirt
-panworld 100px running the return from sump and the cal. reactor
-geo calcium reactor bought used from a friend
-2 250w MH - 10k DE XM bulbs
-2 48" T5HO actinics - geisman bulbs
-tank is going to be custom built using 1/2" acrylic, RR, 48x21x24. the display is going to be 48x18x24. the overflow will be the whole length of the tank.
-the sump is going to be custom built.

i will start puttin up pics of the build tonight. just at my moms for dinner..

any and all comments are welcome..

Deep Dive Coral

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
stand pics so far

so here is the stand as of right now. its just the start of it.
DSC03884.jpg

DSC03883.jpg

DSC03882.jpg

MarkF

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Are you sure those top side pieces are braced enough? It looks like you mitered the corners of all of the top pieces and the vertical 2x4 is under the mitered corner with the majority of the support under the front cross span. I'd think you need at least one vertical under each side or make the corners in the shape of L with another 2x4.

Deep Dive Coral

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Are you sure those top side pieces are braced enough? It looks like you mitered the corners of all of the top pieces and the vertical 2x4 is under the mitered corner with the majority of the support under the front cross span. I'd think you need at least one vertical under each side or make the corners in the shape of L with another 2x4.

I am puttin "L" brakets in to supportcthe corners.

MarkF

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I hope it is a big strong L bracket, 100gal weighs an awful lot, and it really doesn't look that vertical 2x4 is catching much of the side beams (from what I can see in the pictures). Cross bracing might be something to consider too.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 99.4%
168   1   0
mark it having the 2x4's is going to be way more than enough, if you look how most stands are made and factory one's at that his is over constructed :shhh:. my 60g cube is mad out of 1\2 plywood with no bracing

Deep Dive Coral

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
the side will be a door, and there will be 2 front doors as well. i do believe that i went over board with the build. but better to be safe then sorry. and yes the brackets will hold up to 1000 LBS each. so im not worried.

Last edited:

Deep Dive Coral

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
thanks lenny. so here is an update.
i got all the acrylic cut and will be putting the tank together in the next couple of days.. will take plenty of pics of the whole build. if there is anything someone wants to see in particular just ask here and i will take the photo for you.

artie1209

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That looks like preasure treated wood which should not be used indoors. I believe it outgasses toxins. The framming design will be ok if you are wrapping a plywood shell around, that would greatly add to the strength.

Deep Dive Coral

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
yes there will be finished wood on the outside. As for the pressure treated wood I have never had a problem b4 nor my father who has been doing custom stands for over 20yrs. But I will definately keep an eye on just in case. Thanks.

Deep Dive Coral

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
new progress photos

so here is the tank getting started. did all the cuts last night and tonight started to glue. i have to do one more side, the over flows, and then off to the water test.
DSC03886.jpg

DSC03887.jpg

DSC03888.jpg

DSC03889.jpg

DSC03890.jpg

DSC03891.jpg

DSC03892.jpg

DSC03893.jpg

have a good night..

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Looks good.
<O:p
The stand will be fine. What gives any structure the strength is what raps the supports. Even a house... And the pressure treated wood from years ago was much worse. Aside from splinters, you can eat the pressure treated wood of today and it would not hurt you...<O:p
The tank looks awesome! that's some thick acrylic! 1/2"? where did you get it? What type of acrylic cement are you using?<O:p
Can't wait to see how the water test goes... Good luck...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: