• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

pweissma

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I hear that no heater is reliable although I never had one fail on me. I recommend using a controller on the heater and setting the heater slightly above the "on" temp for the controller. That way the heater's thermostat backs up the controller if the controller fails, with the heater turned on. Over the summer I had a RKL fail keeping my chiller turned on.

Staaan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Haha... yeah bro I can't wait to get 'em done.

w/ school & work.. and having a gf.... gotta balance stuff out. hahaha, mainly to keep the gf happy.

Anyway...

The LEDs will definitely be finished this weekend.

Along w/ stand.

And I hope to have water in the tank; cycling by Sunday!!

Definitely a bit of work left for me to do.

*It actually also kind of depends on if I can get my Reactor and Heater from Gotham Aquatics before Sunday too.. so yeah. haha

Staaan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
So it finally began...

img0014bcj.jpg

img0018sv.jpg

img0013gc.jpg

img0019si.jpg

img0020lp.jpg

img0015rd.jpg

Pardon the mess... Need to do some major cleaning before I finally set it up.
img0033zg.jpg

img0031l.jpg

img0032wm.jpg

Staaan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Another Little Update

So.. I was going to use this metal stand I got from petco.. but I decided to build a stand.

AriMiko43 helped me out and built the majority of the stand.. basically the frame/top/bottom.

All I need to do is finish the sides, add a door, and get some either regular plywood or furniture grade plywood.

I'd like to get furniture grade, so I can pick out a nice stain to color the stand with... however furniture grade plywood.. or any other "real" nice wood such as oak costs a pretty penny.

Going to go to home depot later this week...

But thats the only thing thats left to really do before the tank can be set-up.

I ordered from Tito (Gotham Aquatics) my...

Eheim 250w heater
Reactor
50lbs ESV fine white sand

and some MicrobeLift - NiteOut to use in conjunction with the Special Blend I have. http://www.microbelift.com/products/home-aquarium/mini-kits/immediate-water-cycling-kit/

Lots of guys don't like the bacterial additives.. but I have seen nothing but good results with them (I've used them before)... mainly just to speed of the cycling a good amount.

I know its never going to be a 1 or 2 day cycling period.. but I can at least bump it a little bit..

Hopefully the tank will be up and running this coming weekend by Sat. (10/23), but thats only if I can finish off the stand quick enough.

I think the more realistic day will be the following Sat. (10/30)...

So thats pretty much for now.

Any comments/advice?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Staaan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Stupid drawback..

My stand's INNER depth is only 17".... and my sump (40g Breeder) is 18" in depth..

My only real option to get the most water volume.. I assume would be a 29g tank..or a custom sump... or some rubbermaid type bin if I can find the right dimensions which is doubtful. FML.

Staaan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
The height isn't the issue. I have plenty of room for a tall sump.

Its just the depth.

I checked the 29g dimensions and it'll fit.

Only thing that sucks is that it'll be ~15g of extra water as opposed to ~20g from the 40g Breeder.

Whatever its not a biggy.

Gunna go to petco today and see if they still have the $1 sale

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: