krak256

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
97   0   0
I've had a true percula clownfish living in my 14g biocube along with a sixline for almost 2 months now. I've been meaning to get a pair of true percs, but my LFS just didn't have any in for the longest time. They finally got some yesterday and I bought one.

While I was acclimating the fish (in the bag) in the tank, I noticed that they were fighting through the bag. The were nipping each other at the mouth (locking jaws). I was worried so I turned off the light. I put the new clown in and immediately they went at each other, biting each others mouth and locking jaws. I decided to do a lights out and put a towel around the tank.

What do I do? Is this because both of them are females? Will the smaller/newer one turn into a male? I'm hoping the lights out will calm them down.

Thanks for the help!

finksmart

SPS Fanatic
Vendor
Rating - 100%
268   0   0
Most likely you got 2 females. When adding a new clown to pair with an existing, you should get one at a substantially smaller size so it submits to the existing clown w/o too much fighting. The existing clown usually turns female if kept alone.

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
sounds like you have two females. And in my opinion your tank is too small for a pair of clownfish. Aggression may never end. Right now they are battling to the death in a steel cage match.

True Percula Clownfish
(Amphiprion percula)
QUICK STATS
Minimum Tank Size: 30 gallons
Care Level: Moderate
Temperament: Semi-aggressive
Reef Compatible: Yes
Water Conditions: 72-78? F, sg 1.020-1.025, pH 8.1-8.4, dKH 8-12
Max. Size: 3"
Color Form: Black, Orange, White
Diet: Omnivore
Origin: Indo-Pacific, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands
Family: Pomacentridae

Last edited:

krak256

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
97   0   0
crap, so there is no hope for this new one...

how do i make sure that the perc i buy is a male? new world aquarium always separates its true percs so does that mean they all become females?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Krak..the point made above by Wes is spot on..a 14g tank is too small for a single clown, nevermind a pair (sorry!) There are some excellent fish that you can buy that will thrive in a 14g. I have a m/f pair of Sharknose gobies in my 12g (Gobiosoma eveltnae) and hope at some point that they will spawn.

Anyone else have any fish suggestions for krak?

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Kathy - When I had my 12 gallon NC, I had in it a True Perc that the previous owner kept for a couple of years. Granted it was the only fish in there but it seemed to thrive. It didnt exhibit any stress, ate well, always healthy looking and hosted in the xenia forest. I've seen many people on nano-reefs also succesfully keep an ocellaris or true perc in 12 gallon cubes so I think it can be done if water conditions are kept pristine as they seem to spend most of their time in a small territory, even without a hosting coral or anemone, as opposed to the water column, and they stay small unlike some other clowns.

krak256

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
97   0   0
ok, i came back today and took the towel off. they arn't locking jaws anymore, but they are fighting a bit. it's doesnt seem to be anything serious. my original perc instigates fights and both perc "twitch/shiver" and turn to their side.

what does that mean?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: