A

Anonymous

trido":2a6y9jhz said:
Here in Seattle I drive 45 minutes each way to go to the LFS that makes me happiest. I have three others within 20. One of which is petco that I wont step foot in. I like FISH ONLY stores. I am about to look at a couple other stores that are even further just so I have a better coral slection. I dont mind spending half a day doing something involving my hobby that I enjoy very much.

Have you tried The Fish Store (in Ravenna, I think it was)? Checked it out while I was in Seattle a couple weeks ago and it seemed like an okay little shop.

A

Anonymous

FWIW, I find the best price for dry goods. If I can find them on line, the local LFS loses. I'm not going to support something that from a business perspective doesn't work. Why? Because then YOU lose. In regard to fish, the LFS wins in my book, because I want to hand pick my fish.

I don't think it's right to just blindly support a LFS just because it's a small business. The business must make sense. Now if they have higher prices because of stocking, rent, etc., it may be that this LFS isn't right for the location. Bummer. I've got a small business, and I've got a bridge to sell you. Keep me in business - buy a bridge from me! :P My point? You can't force a business in this society. It either works, or doesn't work due to market conditions. You can't curse out Petco (even though either live stock is questionable) - its just that their business plan WORKS - especially on dry goods.

So what should the local LFS do? Don't sell dry goods. Focus your business on SERVICE then - or another aspect that Petco isn't good at. It's the smaller LFS's Ace if you play it right. A friend of mine who does this for a living sells fish and service. He tells his customers - look, if you want bargins go to the DRs on line. 'Know what? They end up buying EVERYTHING from him, due to SERVICE.

Cursing BIG corps out isn't the answer. Find their weakpoint, and exploit it. It's the American dream. Suck it up, and deal with it. :P

A

Anonymous

How about this.............all b&m stop selling dry goods period and only sell fish, rock and corals :roll: Then when you need something now your SOL! Your tank crashes or your fish die because you couldn't get your hands on any dry goods, pumps, chems. or meds when needed. Who you gonna troutslap then?

Did you ever stop to think that you (no one imparticular) might not have a decent lfs because no one is willing to support them/it. How can you complain about not having a good store if your not willing to pay to keep one/them alive and well in the first place? Talk about double standards.

It's worth my money to help keep them afloat and shame on those who don't think so.

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wings":1363psmf said:
FWIW, I find the best price for dry goods. If I can find them on line, the local LFS loses. I'm not going to support something that from a business perspective doesn't work. Why? Because then YOU lose. In regard to fish, the LFS wins in my book, because I want to hand pick my fish.
I don't think it's right to just blindly support a LFS just because it's a small business. You can't curse out Petco (even though either live stock is questionable) - its just that their business plan WORKS - especially on dry goods.
Cursing BIG corps out isn't the answer. Find their weakpoint, and exploit it. It's the American dream. Suck it up, and deal with it. :P
I agree for the most part. I buy my pumps from online suppliers and my livestock from LFS.

You may want to consider it as not blindly supporting a LFS but keeping them in business so that you are not forced to buy your livestock from the impersonal corporate business that has poor customer service and questionable livestock. My local petco does not have cleaner crews to speak of, no coral and very few fish that dont have alot of ich.

You are correct, you would have to agree though, that all of those corporate monsters are killing the american dream for alot of mom and pops businesses. We are all getting busier and dont have time to go to the fish store,cat store and then the bird store to simply feed the pets in any given week. But at the same time, It takes all of the personal aspect out of all of it. One of my original reasons for shopping at the LFS instead of online for alot of my needs.

cjdevito wrote
Have you tried The Fish Store (in Ravenna, I think it was)? Checked it out while I was in Seattle a couple weeks ago and it seemed like an okay little shop.[
Yes I have. I just picked up some macro from them. One of the employees spent about 20 minutes talking to me and I found that he has been in the LFS industry for most of my life. I will definately support that business when I can.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
knowse":q2lfajaf said:
How about this.............all b&m stop selling dry goods period and only sell fish, rock and corals :roll: Then when you need something now your SOL! Your tank crashes or your fish die because you couldn't get your hands on any dry goods, pumps, chems. or meds when needed. Who you gonna troutslap then?

Did you ever stop to think that you (no one imparticular) might not have a decent lfs because no one is willing to support them/it. How can you complain about not having a good store if your not willing to pay to keep one/them alive and well in the first place? Talk about double standards.

It's worth my money to help keep them afloat and shame on those who don't think so.

You make very good points. I do agree with supporting the LFS within reason. I have not seen a LFS around here go the extra mile to warrant me spending twice the amount for the SAME product.

If something crashes then I am usually SOL due to lack of knowledge and forcing miracle Snake Oil cure all by the LFS.

I do like going to the LFS and shopping for fish/drygoods but as an educated consumer I have to compare pricing. If the LFS had a fish/coral in stock that I really wanted I would probably by it from the LFS.

But, like my pump example, there is NO way I am buying the SAME pump for twice as much regardless who the vendor is.

Throwing away money to keep a businees in business is nuts IMO. The busines should find a way to bring in customers and not scare them away.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
knowse":3mh0i9vw said:
That's where petsmart, or a petco would come in. Or, feel free to pay top dollar.

Did you ever stop to think that you (no one imparticular) might not have a decent lfs because no one is willing to support them/it.
Yup. I'm not willing to support an outrageously priced LFS. I don't have cash to burn. If you do, then I've got a petshop that I'm going to open up. In fact, there's a 200 dollar surcharge just for you. Thanks for the support. ;)

How can you complain about not having a good store if your not willing to pay to keep one/them alive and well in the first place? Talk about double standards.
I refuse to pay an overpriced LFS. Why? Because it's not worth it. Plain and simple. Go on line.

I guess it's shame on me. I'm not going to spend money on stuff that I can get cheaper elsewhere, especially when the quality is exactly the same. If you want to support a LFS, I'll buy it on line for you, then I'll mark it up to sell it back to you. Hey you said you'd support me on this effort. What do you need? :P

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This discussion reminds me of the You've Got Mail movie. Bottom line is $$$. So, how do you complete with that? SERVICE! Btw, I totally enjoy the expertise of my local LFS. On the same token, I don't enjoy their drygoods pricing. RECENTLY though, they've become very competive. What you can get on line + shipping, they have the same price in their stores. So if they are smart, they are buying in bulk (avoid shipping costs), then selling it as a "per item" cost. That how they beat out the online venues.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A business can only buy in bulk if they have sufficient quantity demand. Serving a local population usually makes this unfeasiable. I agree that a lot of LFS could run their business better (better sourcing of products, better resource management, better performance, etc.). But competing with online pricing and variety is a tall order.

I patronize my LFS because their prices are not too much higher then online prices. I am willing to pay up to 25% more for the same goods from them because I want to sustain their business (mostly because I personally enjoy buying their other products, such as livestock). I definitely buy the majority of my dry goods online though.

I don't buy from big chain stores, not because of any aversion to "corporate america" (though I have my quibbles), but because these chain stores usually have the worst possible selection and pricing in the fish department. Sure, I can get all sorts of dog toys and foods, but when it comes to fish, it's virtually impossible to find what I want and to get any intelligent help (even if it's simple help such as finding a product). I'm sure there are nice Petcos and Petsmarts out there; none are in my area though.

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len":do6telce said:
A business can only buy in bulk if they have sufficient quantity demand. Serving a local population usually makes this unfeasiable. I agree that a lot of LFS could run their business better (better sourcing of products, better resource management, better performance, etc.). But competing with online pricing and variety is a tall order.

I patronize my LFS because their prices are not too much higher then online prices. I am willing to pay up to 25% more for the same goods from them because I want to sustain their business (mostly because I personally enjoy buying their other products, such as livestock). I definitely buy the majority of my dry goods online though.

I don't buy from big chain stores, not because of any aversion to "corporate america" (though I have my quibbles), but because these chain stores usually have the worst possible selection and pricing in the fish department. Sure, I can get all sorts of dog toys and foods, but when it comes to fish, it's virtually impossible to find what I want and to get any intelligent help (even if it's simple help such as finding a product). I'm sure there are nice Petcos and Petsmarts out there; none are in my area though.
Very well put.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow this thread really exploded, I don't feel like reading an additional 3 pages of stuff so I'll finish my last comment with...

You start with a more or less general statement
I am having a hard time understanding why everybody is in such support of the local fish store.

Then finish up with your particular store as a broad generalization
My LFS owner\manager drives a

with my fish and pulled out my rewards card.
Que? Was this a huge chain store? Never heard of a LFS with a rewards card, sure something like a "punch" card or something as you buy things but a reward card? Yikes

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeap..rewards card. they are popular in eastern Pa. it would seem.
the store shavo speaks of and another in the same area both are this way.

shavo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the store I am talking about was a stand alone store and now has probabbly 9 stores in total, they are becoming a chain. With this they have forgotten where they came from and aren't that customer oriented anymore. They are big business and charge high prices for fish. I do not support them in the least anymore. every now and then they have a thanksgiving sale where it is 1/2 off. that is the day i go there and occasionally they have a sunday night sale that is 1/4 off, sometimes if i am not busy i shop there. other then that they can shove it.

this week i decided to do something different just to see what it was like, I purchased fish online. i recieved them and they are in my tank. the livestock is in great shape, even though i did not hand pic them, i am very happy with the condition of the fish, plus they didn't have to acclimate to the lfs water then to mine.
i think it may be less stressful fo rthe fish to only acclimate one

any thoughts????

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: