zayn

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
if you asked my wife how much "fish" things cost? she would tell you all the inverts are about $0.99-9.99. all fishes and corals are from $9.99-39.99 (and that's the real expensive ones). many stuff are free from trading. most of the equipments are bought used from people who broke down their tanks (never mind that some came in boxes by ups or fed-ex). the stand and canopy, the electrical (5x 20 amp dedicated lines), the perfectly leveled tiling, and the humidity controlled ventilated fish room were built by me and some friends.(never mind that i can't cut a 2x4 straight). and the 200gal. 3 sided starphire glass with a custom overflow tank professionally delivered and installed was a gift from a buddy. i have a very generous buddy.....since the tank cost a whopping $499 delivered and installed. so i didn't spend that much money. so i don't know what you and other people complaining about spending huge amount of money on just some fish tank!!!!....lol....hee....hee....hee.
btw i do own a piece of the brooklyn and gw bridge. actually all the mta operated bridges......i got 5 ez-passes.....lol....lol

Story sound waayyy to familiar :shhh:

btw I am also contemplating getting the Natureef Denitrifier...

Sumbub

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
How much does the denitrator cost to run? About how much chemical is used per year? Would the chemical hurt the tank if the water has not been fully treated before it was released into the system? Also, about how much would the system cost? :tongue1::tongue1::tongue1:

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
System cost about $600 to $800 depending on tank size.. I think it's well worth it.. I almost stop doing water changes within the first year and saved a load on salt.. The cost is about $50 to $70 a year depending on wether you get the phosphate option or not..
If you let the nitragone mixed water drip into you system before it has cycled it will burn your fish.. But all you have to do is leave a small sack of carbon hanging from where it returns into your tank and that will never be a problem, it will just dump higher nitrates into yout system..

ari5736

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I used a MSX denitrator with CaribSea Media, brought 20 nitrate down to ~0 in a couple of weeks and is now off line. I will use it again when my nitrates build back up.

mstrpln03

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Hey Tom,

How you doing buddy? I'm gonna try building one of these:

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1561233#post1561233

I'm gonna build it in a black acrylic box with low voltage fans and submersible LED grow lights. I'm planning on enclosing it in a small wall cabinet, as this will be on the 45 gallon reef in my bedroom and I don't want the light escaping.

It will take a couple of months to see what this is capable of, but I'll keep you posted.

The thread runs backwards, so start at the bottom of the page.

Last edited:

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
hey what's up jerry? i'm good. lmk how that works out. i only skimmed thru the link but sounds interesting. i'm not super handy with building stuff. it usually cost me more than if i were to buy one....from having to buy more material due to mistakes or worse end up buying whatever i was trying to build.....lol

Hey Tom,

How you doing buddy? I'm gonna try builiding one of these:

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1561233#post1561233

I'm gonna build it in a black acrylic box with low voltage fans and submersible LED grow lights. I'm planning on enclosing it in a small wall cabinet, as this will be on the 45 gallon reef in my bedroom and I don't want the light escaping.

It will take a couple of months to see what this is capable of, but I'll keep you posted.

The thread runs backwards, so start at the bottom of the page.

mray

?
Rating - 99%
96   1   0
I have used an algae turf scrubber (ATS) before and it seems to be effective. However, the maintenance that comes with it is too tedious. It has to be cleaned every week or so which is a pain.

I will not be building another ATS for my 75g tank. If I were to need nitrate reduction, I would build a coil de-nitrator.

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
I have used an algae turf scrubber (ATS) before and it seems to be effective. However, the maintenance that comes with it is too tedious. It has to be cleaned every week or so which is a pain.

I will not be building another ATS for my 75g tank. If I were to need nitrate reduction, I would build a coil de-nitrator.

thanks for the input. i guess ats is not for me. as far as coil denitrator, i don't trust myself building things.....lol.

vinnie

Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Tom,

Pick one, let me see it work and when it goes off line I will use it on my tank and we can rotate!

In the mean time, why don't you do a ton of small water changes to help control the nitrate growth. Something quick and simple everyday to help the situation, like 5-10 gallons....drain and fill nothing else.

Vin

zayn

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I just setup my Natureef denitro last week friday. Waiting for my first cycle...

I ordered it from Bob at Natureef.com he is has been very helpfull in setting it up and all. Since I have a total of 110g in my system, I ordered the CDECX1 model with the phosphate option.

All the people that I spoke to that are using this denitro swear by it. They said that they do water changes one ever 6 months or so.

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
I just setup my Natureef denitro last week friday. Waiting for my first cycle...

I ordered it from Bob at Natureef.com he is has been very helpfull in setting it up and all. Since I have a total of 110g in my system, I ordered the CDECX1 model with the phosphate option.

All the people that I spoke to that are using this denitro swear by it. They said that they do water changes one ever 6 months or so.

thanks for the input. please keep me posted on the progress.....especially the beginning nitrate and phosphate values and how long it takes to bring them down to "0". thanks, tom

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
It will take about 2 maybe 3 months to bring high levels down.. Lower levels only about a 1.5 to 2 months..Phosphate it will only bring down organic phosphates.. Tap watre phosphates mostly inorganic it won't really touch.. Phosphate option should be started once you get down to about every 4 hours flushing nitrates or you will be just using a lot of the stronium nitrate and methanol.. Once you get your cycles down to about 8 min or 8ml.. Then start the phosphate option..

Very important.. Please hang a small filter sock with a good carbon from the return from the reactor, just in case you flush too early.. This will keep you from burning your fish..

zayn

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Tom - My nitrates are a little north of 30. I haven't plugged in the phospate option yet.

Bob - Thanks for the tips. I'll add carbon in a sock. Any downside to that though??

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
hey saul,
been out of town a few times.....just got back. i got a natureef denitrator from a member here but haven't had the time to set it up yet. need to relocate the chiller to make room. building a stand for it next week end. still don't really understand the details of the set up yet....instructions on pdf is written rather poorly. not even sure if the controller is functioning properly. hopefully have it up and running by christmas.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: