Hoolio521

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

Is it necessary to use any water conditioners or vitamins? I have heard of stress coat but is this necessary? And are there any that really make a big difference and are worth having? Also...

do i need to dip my hermit crabs in freshwater? how about my serpent star fish? and how long do most people do their freshwater dips for?

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
In my experince i'v never seen anyone dip hermit crabs or serpent stars in fresh water but hermit crabs will out grow their sheells and will kill others to get their shells.They also need iodine .Not all water conditioners are for salt water you might want to use a dechlorinator if you use tap water for your salt water mix.Some salt water mixes may have some vitamins but you can add some kent vitamins or some other brand name products out there depending on what you are keeping . If your tank is not heavily stocked you may not need to add anything.

Last edited:

dacaptain78

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
If you are using RODI water, and it is best if you do, then you do not need to add any water conditioners.

I add vitamins to my fish food several times a week. I add things like garlic, vita-chem, and selecon. I never vitamins directly to the tank though.

You do not want to do fresh water dips on invertabrates. Fresh water dips are used on fish to dislodge external parasites like Ick that may be on their skin, gills, etc. The length of time the dip can/should last depends on the type of fish. Either way the fish should be monitored during the dip process and removed if it looks extremely stressed.

DCG1286

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
181   0   0
You do not want to do fresh water dips on invertabrates. Fresh water dips are used on fish to dislodge external parasites like Ick that may be on their skin, gills, etc. The length of time the dip can/should last depends on the type of fish. Either way the fish should be monitored during the dip process and removed if it looks extremely stressed.
IMO ... very stressful on the fish ... and in most cases from, my experiences, unnecessary.

Hoolio521

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much everyone for replying. How important is it to quarantine new fish? If i do a fresh water dip and then drip acclimation will that suffice? Also how should i get the fish out of the bucket where i jsut acclimated it (should i use a net or a plastic conatiner?) and if i use the plastic container is it okay if a little of the water from the bucket goes back into my tank (just worried cause it will have some of the water from the store)

Tangs Rule

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
IMO ... very stressful on the fish ... and in most cases from, my experiences, unnecessary.

I have tried this like 5 times (last time about 4 years ago) and it worked 3 times and didn't work 2 times. Very risky and not worth it in my opinion. Set up a hospital tank with no live rock and a bare bottom so you can medicate sick fish as necessary.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
I PERSONALLY had to remove fish from my tank after introducing them in my tank.The most recent was an emperor angelfish it was eating and looking healthy after observing the fish swimming around in my tank i noticed a white film on one eye it would move whenever the angel moved it's eye. I removed it and dipped it in fresh water, simular temp.and ph as the tank water.I NOTICED three scale looking things in the fresh water after the dip and they were'nt fish scale.The first time i noticed something like this was on niger triggers after introducing them in my tank so i knew exactly what to do.I don't quarantine but MOST times i wish i did ask the guys at the Cony Island Brooklyn Aquarium.

18oreefer

+270
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I add reef pure vitamins with hufa to the food. I had a plague in my tank (from a sick royal garama that i didnt quarintine (silly me)) that had some established fish and some new fish. The fish that were in the tank and had been feeding on the reef pure stuff got sick but did not die, the others did. i swear by that stuff as a food adative. Plus all the colors of my fish are very brite.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
response in blue
Hello

Is it necessary to use any water conditioners
no need if you are talking about an established tank. Some shippers still use them when they ship fish.

or vitamins?
soak it(like selcon) in the food before feeding. unfortunately no consumer test kit for vitamin. use your observation to see whether your fish color up better and look or act healthier.

I have heard of stress coat but is this necessary? And are there any that really make a big difference and are worth having? Also...

do i need to dip my hermit crabs in freshwater? how about my serpent star fish?

and how long do most people do their freshwater dips for?
an art that even many experienced reefers here cannot master, so should rather stay away

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: