A

Anonymous

Guys,
All it takes to understand what's going on is to look at the same old questions by the newbs. How do I do this, and where can I get that. No one is reading the wealth of information in the ntr'ing forum, or any other forum for that matter. If they are, it isn't being understood.

Understanding the REQUIRED equipment and how it is installed and operates is a major factor in keeping any of the organisms in our tanks. Feeding requirements, how to rid tanks of algea, why is so and so moving, were to place powerheads, and yadda yadda yadda.

This basic information isn't getting threw. Minium requirements posted in any thread in any forum in any bb isn't being understood and utilized. That is what the problem is. Not that those with knowledge aren't posting, they're just tired of answering the same old questions over and over again.

Stupid Bob, is still asking me how to do this that and the other thing, but won't take any simple advice given. I give up.

A

Anonymous

knowse":134fjvuw said:
Guys,
All it takes to understand what's going on is to look at the same old questions by the newbs. How do I do this, and where can I get that. No one is reading the wealth of information in the ntr'ing forum, or any other forum for that matter. If they are, it isn't being understood.

Stupid Bob, is still asking me how to do this that and the other thing, but won't take any simple advice given. I give up.

Don't give up, just simply walk away. :) Get up from the computer get a beer, soda,coffee,etc., chill out and move on to the next post. You can't pound your head against the wall every time people post the same question, you'll find out it hurts. :) It should be fairly obvious by the subject of a post what the questions gonna be. If your not interested or annoyed by that subject or person move on, don't reply, no one is saying you have to. Someone else will reply.
I scan over this BBS and only reply to what looks to be of interest, I certainly don't read every post otherwise I'd be loonier than I am.
If you look at any BBS, newsgroup, etc. you'll see the same thing. There are FAQ's but few people read them or even know what they are. That's just human nature. I may not have stated my opinion eloquently but I hope I got my point across. :)

Regards,
David Mohr

dizzy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting back to the original question posed in this thread. Should we withhold information that contradicts widely held beliefs about certain species of marinelife as being difficult to keep? Of course we shouldn't. Should we question people who are making these claims? Of course we should. Right now I have three Red Sea Regal angels in my display tanks that are all doing extremely well. I got my first one about three years ago after seeing the one Greg Schiemer had in his tank. Does this mean I think they should be sold to newbies with minimal experience and equipment? Absolutely not. What we need to bare in mind is that these are not endangered species we are talking about. We are talking about species that are common, but are often difficult to keep under normal conditions.

As a retailer I find selling difficult animals to hobbysits to be a foolish way to build up a repeat business. Most people hate it when their fish dies. Enough bad stuff happens to the ones we call hardy, that there is no need to further stack the deck against success.

Fenner, Delbeek, and Sprung are not the only people who can accurately report things happening in their tanks. I doubt Fenner and Sprung even keep many fish these days. Both travel so much they would be poor candidates for the job. Some of you people don't really think they have personal experience keeping all the species they talk about in their books for extended periods of time do you? These authors rely on a great deal of information being provided from other people they trust. Sometimes it bites them in the ass. Ever hear of Reef Notes Revisited? Fenner makes mistakes to. His take on pistol shrimp and gobies is one. Charles stays so wet I better leave him out of this.

I say we continue to share our experiences with the only condition being that we report them honestly. I think we all know by now that we are likley to be challenged if we make extraordinary claims and this is how it should be. It's how we learn.
Mitch

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heh.. last time I was at Bob's he had two empty tanks, filled with water waiting for specimens.

Dizzy, I can't agree with you more.

EmilyB

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
David, I think the reefkeeping community is very fortunate indeed that people such as yourselves still hang in there and help with the best advice possible. 8)

And I take confidence from that, as I have in the past. :D

Information from RAMR was always for the most part presented to me factually, and I made my decisions accordingly. I am hopeful to see a less emotional environment over an intelligent person's desire to progress in the hobby on RDO.

Thank you again. :D

dizzy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Righty":39awn3gf said:
Yeah Mitch, nice Av!

:mrgreen:

It's getting a bit off topic again, but this seems like the most opportune time to publicly thank Righty for the resize work on the avatar. :D Mucho gracias amigo.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: