duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
not planning on doing vinegar.just putting it out thre fo anyone that plans on it.right now im going ed4 way.he discussed it with us one night and i see the results in his tank and we have the same amount of water volume.going to gather up the supplements he is using in the next 3 weeks but im reading about everything before i make the jump.going to dose what i feel comfortable dosing.im cutting out most what ive been using as well.going to stick with the zeozyme and feeding the reef snow and new life spectrum.most likely going to quit with reef snow and feed oyster eggs.the zeozyme really makes my skimmer pull some nastiness in my tank so im very happy with that.hey ed anyway when you have time you can write up what each of these supplements do for a reef tank.im reading about most of the products and you hav alot clearer way of explaining it.plus i really dont have any expierence with any of the products first hand..mshur any way you can do the same so others can know what your supplements do and maybe some of your insight on tem

Last edited:

Kedd

25   0   0
Just my 2 cents.
Whatever you may dose and whatever method is being used, you need to give it time.

Tanks that are always being changed from method to method don't seem to lock into that very stable mode most are looking for.

Funny I should read this thread and see the advice I was given and gave to many!

Keep you hand out of the tank! and stop F-----g with it!
I was told that 15 years ago and it was the best thing I ever did.

Of coarse you will be in the tank but too many changes over a short period of time never lets you find out what REALLY works for your tank.

I went through chasing levels and again was given advice when I met Bob Stark from ESV.
He told me with his 2 part CAl and ALK it should always be added in equal parts.
I told him the levels keep swinging, and he replied, give it time and all will balance out.
I did what he said even though every bone in my body wanted to dose more of one or the other to keep chasing.
I worked very well for me.
Again just my 2 cents.

Kedd

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
sometimes keeping your hands out of the tank is just not an option.i need to get my arm in the tank and i cant use my gloves.i am zapping aiptasia ever 4 days to keep those SOB in check.tried using the gloves with the syringe it just doesnt work.with the aiptasia x it raises the alk in the tank so i have to watch it very carefully.even though ive noticed that aiptasia x raises alk for a very short period so i have to dose when the alk levels level off which takes around 5 to 6 hours.plus like i said im very aware of stabilization of alk,cal and mag are the goal but there are some supplements that show amazing results and wuld liketo be aware of what the guys with amazing SPS tanks are using and a rundown of what each product contains and what each supplement is used for

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
no thats not it at all.the guys ive seen have dosed many other supplements other then the basics of alk cal and mag.everyone i meet use something different then the next guy.alot off the ol school guys still dont believe that these supplements work and it a waste of time and money.also people i meet dont put what they dose because of all the criticism that comes along with there results.im not one of these guys.since dosing zeozym my tank has looked incredible.ive tried using other supplements that have not worked well at all and thats usually the basic thing people buy at a LFS that just seem to mess up my system.im looking more into what the europeans are using.guys ive met are all using these products with amazing results

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my three cents

Just my 2 cents.
Whatever you may dose and whatever method is being used, you need to give it time.
Tanks that are always being changed from method to method don't seem to lock into that very stable mode most are looking for.

Funny I should read this thread and see the advice I was given and gave to many!

Keep you hand out of the tank! and stop F-----g with it!
I was told that 15 years ago and it was the best thing I ever did.

Of coarse you will be in the tank but too many changes over a short period of time never lets you find out what REALLY works for your tank.

I went through chasing levels and again was given advice when I met Bob Stark from ESV.
He told me with his 2 part CAl and ALK it should always be added in equal parts.
I told him the levels keep swinging, and he replied, give it time and all will balance out.
I did what he said even though every bone in my body wanted to dose more of one or the other to keep chasing.
I worked very well for me.
Again just my 2 cents.

Kedd

.that is so true... its all about time and patients.. noone goes into the barrier reef and says"let me add some biobeeds or POX4...LOL

James

Zen-Reefer
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
About time this thread gets a bump. Anyone find the holy grail yet? ;) I am still doing the same thing with a new tank. 2 part dosing, keeping levels as stable as possible, weekly WCs with ESV salt for that Alk,Calc, Mag goodness.

Jim

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I just read through this whole thread again. I think chasing that "Holy Grail" is what is messing up some tanks. The only thing I dose is Lugol's iodide. Stability really is the key. I'm pretty happy with my colors and can't imagine what people are striving for with all these chemicals. My nitrates are a little high as well as my phosphates but my colors are great so I try not to stress about it.
Just my 2 cents.

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
I was wondering if anyone has tried the Bactiv8 NPX bacteria product from Two Little Fishies? Due to my recent tank crash I am considering boosting the bacterial population to aid in the processing of waste. It seems like the product is targeted toward Bio-pellet users, but it does claim that it can be used without them. Thoughts? I do have a call in to Julian to see what he says as well.

FaviaFreak

Aquarium Village
Rating - 93.6%
44   3   0
I was wondering if anyone has tried the Bactiv8 NPX bacteria product from Two Little Fishies? Due to my recent tank crash I am considering boosting the bacterial population to aid in the processing of waste. It seems like the product is targeted toward Bio-pellet users, but it does claim that it can be used without them. Thoughts? I do have a call in to Julian to see what he says as well.

you could use something like Dr.Tim's Re-Fresh and Waste Away to boost good bacterial populations...I use his products all the time

http://www.drtimsaquatics.com/natural-aquarium-cleaner

http://www.drtimsaquatics.com/treat-aquarium-algae

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
Randy, have you noticed increased algae growth since the crash?

No, some diatom on the sand, but that doesn't surprise me. PO4 is also very high--again not a surprise. All the animals look perfectly content. I changed out the carbon and added some GFO. All other parameters are spot on.

Kevin, I have the Bactiv8 in hand that is why I am asking about it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: