Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Since I got the clam at the swap it has not been opening much. It would open for maybe 15-30 minutes a day and most of the time extend the mantle perhaps 1/8th of an inch? It keeps getting worse day by day. Today it has not opened fully at all.

I called and spoke to Dr. Mac, says that they have had a few similar issues with other clams sold at the swap. Has anyone else had similar issues? Any suggestions?

I HATE losing any animal in my care, but I would REALLY hate to lose this clam, it is beautiful...

Alfred

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Check back post just after swap you will find a few people lost their clam. They were getting credit but you, is late what did they say. I was looking at the picture and you can tell they mantel weren't right. They were under stress.

Last edited:

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I let them know right after... The offered me a store credit as well for the amount the clam cost. (But I would have to spend an additional $100-150 + $37 shipping for a new clam)

I am more interested in saving the clam. It is not an issue of my "levels", everything else in the tank is thriving.

Alfred

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Alfredo,

I'm going through the same thing. It's absolutely horrible to watch it decline day by day. I wrote Mac as well and haven't heard back.

My lighting is brand new ATI 6 bulb sunpower with a 30 led custom strip capable of growing coral. I sold my fixture, went led and decided I made a wrong decision and I'm back to t5.

Both sides of the clams mantle will not come out. He no longer seems light sensitive and has gotten worse and worse since the swap.

I have tried feeding the tank more, nothing in my tank bothers it and my other clam looks great.

Dr Mac tried to tell me my lighting is not sufficient but that's impossible, I have more then enough light to sustain anything. A bunch of other people are having problems or lost their clam also.

I think it's inevitable that its going to die and really don't know what to do. A clam expert told me that they were starving and in rough shape to begin with and not much I can do but wait it out.

I'm just as upset as you are.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByReefs1354193714.921912.jpg
    ImageUploadedByReefs1354193714.921912.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 536
  • ImageUploadedByReefs1354193724.105100.jpg
    ImageUploadedByReefs1354193724.105100.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 529
Last edited:

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I did notice that the times it extended it's mantle was when I was feeding the tank. Anyone on the Upper West Side or Washington Heights? (I will be driving down to the Humane Society with one of our cats later this morning as well) have any type of "coral" food I can get a small sample of?

Alfred

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Kres- Freshwater dips don't really work and just stress the clam out even more, at least that is the consensus of the experts I asked.

The only thing I have not tried is spot feeding the clam, I don't know how I am going to manage, but I will find a way to go out and buy some kind of food for filter feeders today.

Alfred

Rating - 99.5%
204   1   0
If in fact it is pinched mantel ,freshwater dips do work..
At this point not doing anything the clam will die either way
So if the clam is not to far gone a freshwater dip will help
Don't know what clam expert you are talking too but a dip might help
I have 10 clams some for over 3 years and fresh dipped a few which were showing signs of PM and it does help

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
That really sucks lemons!:(
I have found that clams are a bit of a hit or miss for me.. After purchasing about 5 different ones, and having success with only one I stopped purchasing clams. Sadly my long time survivor was lost to dear old "Sandy".
Which I could offer a solution to the problem, but I never found one for the clams that I lost. BTW, they all looked exactly like the one pictured above before they died.:(

I will have to agree with kres and Jim on this one, freshwater dip sounds like the only thing that may save your clam at this point. I recently did it with 2 of my clams, one which I ended up doing twice and now both are doing much better.

One other thing I do think is worth mentioning is that I was keeping my clams on the sandbed and when they started doing bad I freshwater dipped them and then moved them all the way to the top of the tank. Both clams opened up nicely and after a week or two I returned them to the sandbed where I am still closely observing them. I have 3 different clam species and the maxima I got from Dr. Mac 4 swaps ago, so I guess 2 years ago, was the only one I didn't have a problem with.

Rating - 99.5%
204   1   0
How long of a fresh water dip? I'll try anything at this point...

Alfred

Okay how bad is the clam?is any of his mantel coming out?
Usually if you catch it in time a 30 min dip is good and followed up with another 2weeks later if nesesary ,if the clam is to week the the dip may make it worse or may help,so then I would only do a 15 minute dip,but if he already not responding to light may be to late

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
It extends about 1/8th of an inch and does "flinch" when you move your hand over it when lights are on.

I will bring a gallon of RO/DI water home tonight. (I have not installed my RO/DI filter here yet) I hope it can survive 15 minutes in pure fresh water! The thought makes me nervous. ;)

Alfred

How long of a fresh water dip? I'll try anything at this point...

Alfred

30 minutes in RO/DI water, must make sure temperature is equal to that of tank water so you can just float the container in your tank as you would normally do to temperature acclimate livestock. You also have to bring up the pH of that water to that of the tank, so either add pH buffer or baking soda, whichever is available, preferably the buffer.

Rating - 99.5%
204   1   0
It extends about 1/8th of an inch and does "flinch" when you move your hand over it when lights are on.

I will bring a gallon of RO/DI water home tonight. (I have not installed my RO/DI filter here yet) I hope it can survive 15 minutes in pure fresh water! The thought makes me nervous. ;)

Alfred

I felt the same way when I first tried it but it helped ,sound like your clam still has a chance since it is responding to your hand..
Also some clams after a dip might not open for a day ,one of mine stayed shut after the dip but the following day was fine..

Make sure the temps match when you do dip and try to get the ph close

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: