• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

smcooler

farmer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
my 300 gals of sps require 200 mills of part b alk and 230 part a ca every day to remain stable at dkh 9.5 and ca at 400. Plus a mtc pro-cal full blast.

any veiws on this would be helpfull Im thinking a monster ca reactor. Maybe a huge deltec.

s

Last edited:

Sean

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
That is a lot. I guess your corals are drinking up that calcium. What is your PH and do the corals seem healthy and happy?

I actually like the MTC reactors they're well made. Deltecs are great as well but as I'm sure you know quite pricey.

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i believe Jim from House of Fish uses both because he likes the extra elements in the B-Ionic, but doesnt enjoy the cost of using B-Ionic exclusively. He'll probably chime in when he sees this thread

Sean

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Wes I happen to agree with that 100%

I have never done a tank yet using only a calcium reactor. In fact I alway suggest 2 part. Let me correct myself ESV 2 part.

tommy818

tommy818
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was gonna say the same thing.u will still need to add a 2 part now and then.im not a fan of calcium reactors but if u go that route i would drip kalk to keep ph up and help maintain your levels.

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Wes,

Thanks for remembering.

My best advice is to supercharge that reactor (or upgrade it). When I bought my reactor for the business I bought it with doubling the total volume capacity in mind. So, I am good for up to 750 gallons with this dual chamber CR6.

I purposefully allow my Ca, MG and dkh to deplete over the week by dialing the reactor back a bit (approx 80 bpm and steady slow thin stream of effluent). I am a bad reefer and don't test that often, but I would say that the Ca swings 3-500 ppm and dkh 2 points from 11-9 or so. When i do a water change, I dose up using B-Ionic only - not sure how many milliliters it is, but I use one of those 16oz red cups from Sam's Club - I use more Mg and Alk than calcium - but it eventually works out in the end. I continue to swear by ESV's product - anyone who has seen my tank and prop system will testify to what it's capable of producing - and for me, thats the pudding!

Hope that helps, feel free to drop me a line if you have other questions.

House

smcooler

farmer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
thanks for all the help guys. Seems since i started doseing the b-ionic the growth has exploded, my formosa is sticking out of the water. I guess i will just keep doing it this way all the corals look better then ever. I will have to get the 5 gal pals ugg.

stan

smcooler

farmer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
That is a lot. I guess your corals are drinking up that calcium. What is your PH and do the corals seem healthy and happy?

I actually like the MTC reactors they're well made. Deltecs are great as well but as I'm sure you know quite pricey.

The MTC is built like a tank love it, i wonder if i could get a extention tube for it. PH is good corals happy.

Dace

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.7%
393   1   0
sm daceman was running the deltec cal reactor and kalk reactor as well as i think he still dosed, might ask him
Stan i really kept to just running a cal reactor and kalk reactor. I used esv two part just to get used to the amount of calcium to drip from my reactor and drip kalk only at night to raise ph when lights go out due to ph lowering at night, Both of my reactors were deltec and as for the media,Rowalith C is by far the best media i ever used. When i correctly figured how much to dose it was practical set it end forget it. The media is very pricey which is the down side to it, But it's also loaded with mag so i didn't have to be on top of dose mag all the time, once i got the levels where they where supposed to be, then i turned up the reactors. Always keeping in mind that the two part was what i used to use to balance out my levels if they ever got out of wack, i think i only had to re balance the levels only once due to the calcium build up at the and of the effluent hose back to the tank which reduce the flow. Have to check biweekly and clean excess buildup. As for the esv 2part, i was informed by esv that even thought your levels are off, make sure your mag is good then dose both parts evenly, slowly raising dose which the two part will balance out eventually.

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
I have a medical doser I got from natureef... You can have for some frags:Blurp:...
I also use a beast... I like the PM reactors... When first got it I hated it... I strill had to dose a lot and my ph went from normal 8.5 to 7.8 and it wasn't even adding cal. or Alk. But now that I have got it tuned in I think I love it.... I turned up the Co2 to about 65 to 70 bubbles per minute.. The effluent drip up to about 80 to 90 drips per minute... Using the regular crushed coral that was given to me with the reactor which I think takes a lower PH to break down...
The ph is also stable @ 8.05 now which is not having a negative effect on my Sps..
I dose about a quart every week just to keep Calcium, Alkalinity a little high...
Calcium is now at 480 and my Alkalinity is at 4.00 Magnesium is also a little high...
But I haven't dosed any epsom salts in a while, like a month...

This think was made for a 500+ gallon system... Mine is a 275 gallon system...

Attachments

• The "Beast"....jpg
    The "Beast"....jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 268

tommy818

tommy818
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use the doser from esv.u need a air pump with 2 outlets and a digital timer.u need to check the check valves now and then to make sure they dont get clogged.other than that its hands free.

smcooler

farmer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I have a medical doser I got from natureef... You can have for some frags:Blurp:...
I also use a beast... I like the PM reactors... When first got it I hated it... I strill had to dose a lot and my ph went from normal 8.5 to 7.8 and it wasn't even adding cal. or Alk. But now that I have got it tuned in I think I love it.... I turned up the Co2 to about 65 to 70 bubbles per minute.. The effluent drip up to about 80 to 90 drips per minute... Using the regular crushed coral that was given to me with the reactor which I think takes a lower PH to break down...
The ph is also stable @ 8.05 now which is not having a negative effect on my Sps..
I dose about a quart every week just to keep Calcium, Alkalinity a little high...
Calcium is now at 480 and my Alkalinity is at 4.00 Magnesium is also a little high...
But I haven't dosed any epsom salts in a while, like a month...

This think was made for a 500+ gallon system... Mine is a 275 gallon system...

what kind of doeser, you dont use it anymore.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: