cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
What is your protocol for QT and\or treatment for new corals(SPS, LPS, zoas, or anything that can carry STD?s :lol2:)?

It has been a while since the last time I received corals from other people?s tank. What is the latest and greatest treatment used by you to treat corals before placing them in your tank?

Interceptor dips? TM Pro-Coral?

I am starting my cube tank up soon and like to ?play it safe? :Hydrogen: :bunnies:.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Pierce don't use TMPC. Coral revive harms the corals MUCH less and seems to get AEFW's off just as well.
Lately I just use revive and lougls dip for new specimens but don't go by me because I seem to catch every bug out there :D

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
piece usually if i get something it's on the weekend when i do water changes and i use the water to do treatment, i do red bug treatment for 4 hr with a power head in the bucket then a dip in pro cure before going into tank, i try to do a red bug treatment every 6 months or so on tank, knock on wood havent ever had flat worms yet, and havent found anything to treat or kill monti nudis but i check all monti's really well before going into system after treatments

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I've tried AEFW as well as FW dips and Lugol's dips. Unfortunately I also look some frags with this. I think I'm just going to set up a 20 gallon quarantine tank to use for fish, frags and other inverts and keep an eye on them for a couple of weeks. Unfortunately I've found very little reliably tested methods in the forums so this is probably the safest way. Just need to find a light. I currently have a 5 gallon I was using for fish but its not big enough plus the 20 could double as a frag tank.

FaviaFreak

Aquarium Village
Rating - 93.6%
44   3   0
I dip all new pieces no matter where they come from in a bath, agitated with an air stone with interceptor and Revive. The interceptor covers any types of bugs weather they be red bugs, black bugs, purple bugs or green bugs and the Revive knocks off flatworms and just about anything else if the mixture is strong enough. One thing you have to check for is egg sacks of the base of your corals

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I wonder if AEFW is simply prazinquatel ( panacur ) since that is used against flatworms - both for humans and animals and flatworms are well flatworms. Panacur is readily and cheaply available from most pet supply stores. It'd be interesting to see if there is any difference in the effect of using one or the other.

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
AEFW stands for Acro eating flatworms. What product are you referring to? TMPC ( tropic marine procure) ? If so, it is not Prazi, but Iodine based I believe and thus the harsh effects on corals. Some people have experimented with Prazi for AEFW, but non have developed a reliable protocol that I know of. The commercially available Prazi-Pro is not strong enough from what I am told. Prazi is the leading contender for an in-tank treatment, but again, not enough work has been done. Revive is a botanical extract --likely the same as the main ingredient in Pine Sol ---smell and you'll know what I mean-- and has proven to be a very effective dip that doesn't stress corals,

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Oops that was a slip. I meant Flatworm Exit.
I was wondering about the Revive as it smelled just like floor cleaner. I thought that if it was really just soap then why not try a dilute solution of soap myself. Thats done to kill pests on plants so maybe the same principle will work here though perhaps its just pyrethines in Revive? Does it work for all corals and all major pests?

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: