Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Who's doing it and how do you keep the ph from going down??
What are the side effects of consistantly low Ph?? (before I start experiencing it)

I'm currently trying the 5 gallon bucket of Kalkwasser with about 80mls of vinegar method of carbon dosing and the ph dropped significantly.. My Ph went from 8.30 to 7.87 in 24hrs.. The ph of the kalk solution is still 10.1..

The phosphates are on the move at a good pace so far so I'd really not like to lower the vinegar..

noodleman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
are you saying that you put the vinegar into your kalk solution, and that solution still has a pH of 10.1? If so it's not the vinegar causing your drop in pH, look elsewhere

possible reasons include:
1) the vinegar might be cuasing a bacteria bloom, using up oxygen which lead to the drop in pH
2) something died/uneaten food which is decaying in your tank, which also use up oxygen
3) etc......

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
tank ur size with the amount you would be dosing really isnt going to drop ph maybe for a few seconds at most. could always put the amount ur dosing into so ro water and drip it thoughout the day

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Yes 80mls of vinegar in the kalk solution that is being dripped into the sump slowly60 drips a minute..
I thought it wasn't the vinegar, but I'm no chemist.. I did just find a dead clam in my sump.. I must have died from vodka being dosed to close to it as I wasn't here for a week and dosing was done by someone else..
The O2 levels are the same as far as the salifert O2 kit says..
I guess it's the bacterial bloom like you said..

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
yeah it will jump your ph way up, i dose kalk with vinegar through my ato, love dosing the kalk because it also precipitates phosphate and i forget to dose part of the 2 part all the time so this is easier for me

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
I didn't know adding more teaspoons to the mix would make a difference I poured in about 2 tablespoons in a 5 gallon bucket.. Will the ph be higher??

I never really used this stuff it's been laying around for about 2 years.. I usually use my rock to get the ph higher but haven't had the time to make it.. I guess I'd better get that ball rolling..

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
teaspoon not tablespoon, the vinegar is a carbon source but thats not what i use it for, and they say you dont need to empty the left over out, i usually make 18g of kalk and syphon the clear liquid off into my ato

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I think the 50lb's, if it comes in a bag and isn't sealed properly each time, will go bad before you even have a chance to use it all. I prefer buying bulk in individual jars from places like mrs. wages.

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
So I slowed the drip and the ph has come up a little over night to 8.00 in the night cycle.. I still didn't do the water change or add more plain kalk.. I'll see be tomorrow if the slower drip can keep up with the phosphate level.. So far it has been dropping at a pretty good pace.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: