fripclaksid

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
sweet will definitely get it mid this week when I come across some funds.

I'm not sure where he got anything from. He has a "friend" that gets "high quality sh*". I'm just getting into corals now so I never asked before. The brain is actually my fav coral in there. He responds to feeding really well. Just something about those little tentacles coming out, it's really amazing. It seems the corals might end up being mine, in which case I would be more than happy to entertain a swap, perhaps for a good skimmer and frags? ;)

fripclaksid

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well it seems my excessive feeding has caught up to me. I'm testing .25 Amm and .1 Nitrties. I've added beneficial bacteria and turned my UV off.

This should eliminated these levels right?

EDIT:

Added beneficial bacteria and tested water 1 hour after. No drop in levels :(. Will do water change this afternoon I guess..

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
I am certainly not the best Role model about fish choices but I have certainly learned from my mistakes.

My advice is to watch your levels closely and do water changes until you can rehome the tangs. Which is the best advise.

You can also use some amquel to help with the ammonia. I have not researched or used it myself but I have seen it recommended by some great sources on here.

Get the Tangs out, there is noway that system can handle three tangs even with a protien skimmer or not. I don't know why anyone is recommending anything but rehoming them.

Something else

A little ac fuge will not allow you to have 3 tangs either.

Last edited:

fripclaksid

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am certainly not the best Role model about fish choices but I have certainly learned from my mistakes.

My advice is to watch your levels closely and do water changes until you can rehome the tangs. Which is the best advise.

You can also use some amquel to help with the ammonia. I have not researched or used it myself but I have seen it recommended by some great sources on here.

Get the Tangs out, there is noway that system can handle three tangs even with a protien skimmer or not. I don't know why anyone is recommending anything but rehoming them.

Something else

A little ac fuge will not allow you to have 3 tangs either.

When you say "no way the system can handle 3 tangs" do you mean the levels will constantly spike? Even if I do 20% water change every 5 days or so? I can't rehome it now since it has ick. I would need at least 3 months to fully get rid of it with my UV. What do you think is the best option? Considering they have ick.

Amquel : Protects fish and invertebrates by eliminating nitrite, nitrate, and all forms of ammonia, chloramines, and chlorine

Nitrates really? no right?

I've been using prime because it's so concentrated but should I switch over to amquel from now on?

Thanks a bunch. You guys are really helpful.

Last edited:

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
[PDF OVERLAY][/PDF OVERLAY]please keep in mind the tangs are currently 1.5 inches and I don't plan on keeping them in there forever. Instead of flaming why don't you give me your opinion so I can make things better?[PDF OVERLAY][/PDF OVERLAY]
Here is why ...

Jzhou

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Just cut down on the feeding to twice a week. And 20 percent twice a week isn't going to kill anyone. Thats what I use to do for my 220 before I figured out that Salt is expensive. Where do you live by. I have an older coralife 65 you can borrow. I'm going to need it later though, one of my friends is upgrading her 10 gallon reef into a 29.

Jzhou

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Lol, twice a week at 20 percent isn't too stressful. If you consider how a lot of fisheries and freshwater breeders in asia do it at 50percent a day twice a day instead of using a good filtration system, it really isn't anything.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Just cut down on the feeding to twice a week. And 20 percent twice a week isn't going to kill anyone. Thats what I use to do for my 220 before I figured out that Salt is expensive. Where do you live by. I have an older coralife 65 you can borrow. I'm going to need it later though, one of my friends is upgrading her 10 gallon reef into a 29.
Sound like you're pushing your 65 gal on the guy. Why would he want to borrow your tank or should i say buy your tank? This is not an emergency situation. Sec.Tangs need to eat every day to stay healthy. Feeding them twice a week in a tank with no other food source is cruel. They won't die but they will be under weight ,pale and malnourished ...Keep one tang ,add a refuge with half the rocks from the DPT with a skimmer is my advice.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Lol, twice a week at 20 percent isn't too stressful. If you consider how a lot of fisheries and freshwater breeders in asia do it at 50percent a day twice a day instead of using a good filtration system, it really isn't anything.
It would be stressfull on the Corals and inverts. Did you read the entire thread ? And do you know how much money it would cost to do 50% water change twice a day on a 50 gal marine system for a month ?

Jzhou

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
I've been following this thread since the beginning. And that's the beauty of it, those fisheries don't use salt. Those fisheries use water from straight out of the ocean. For hi 29 gallon tank. 20 percent twice a week isn't that much salt. Read my post more carefully.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
First off, I think we need to calm down here on the OP.
He is obviously trying to work things out.

..and as a reminder - there is to be NO offering to sell anything on any General Discussion thread.

--------

I also think feeding any fish only twice a week is cruel, nori strips or not.
Add to that these fish have ICH now (more than likely brought into the tank by all that coral from you are holding for your buddy who has ICH is his tank), so they need the BEST possible comditions to help them live through their battle with ICH.

You need to treat the Ich, and cannot do it in a tank that has corals in it, so you will need to set up a Hospital tank (tank, heater, powerhead, and if at all possible an air pump & airstone) and decide if you are going to treat the fish with copper or use the Hyposalinity method (you cannot do both together). ALL fish in the tank need to go through the treatment, even if you do not see any Ich on them (that does not mean they don;t already have it)

Descriptions of these methods can be found here:
http://atj.net.au/marineaquaria/marineich.html

The tank the fish are in now needs to remain fish-free for the next 6-8 weeks or the Ich that is in there will be tranferred back to any fish introduced.

..and no, adding beneficial bacterial will not cause your ammonia to go away. Amquel & Amquel PLUS are 2 different products. Prime would be about the same as Amquel Plus, so no need to change. You need to figure out what you are adding that caused the ammonia to spike.

Last edited:

Jzhou

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Also you have to keep in mind that for him, this tank is suppose to be a temp for those tangs. Because he isn't really able to afford the large aquariums that are needed for tangs, nor some of the equipment that would make his life easier, water changes really are his best options.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kick-ick works in a tank with corals (if you use it as the lable tels you to) I have used it in the past an lost nothing.In a 265 with a bout 700lb of rock with 8or 9 styros of corls an who knows how many invearts .Thay sell it at the hut where i worked for years. an lets be real who ever sold you 3 tangs for a tank that size doesnt care about you or your your fish . an shouldnt b selling to do with fish . An if he didnt ask you what you r puting them in , means he didnt care right from the start Find a newplace to shop

fripclaksid

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First off, I think we need to calm down here on the OP.
He is obviously trying to work things out.

..and as a reminder - there is to be NO offering to sell anything on any General Discussion thread.

--------

I also think feeding any fish only twice a week is cruel, nori strips or not.
Add to that these fish have ICH now (more than likely brought into the tank by all that coral from you are holding for your buddy who has ICH is his tank), so they need the BEST possible comditions to help them live through their battle with ICH.

You need to treat the Ich, and cannot do it in a tank that has corals in it, so you will need to set up a Hospital tank (tank, heater, powerhead, and if at all possible an air pump & airstone) and decide if you are going to treat the fish with copper or use the Hyposalinity method (you cannot do both together). ALL fish in the tank need to go through the treatment, even if you do not see any Ich on them (that does not mean they don;t already have it)

Descriptions of these methods can be found here:
http://atj.net.au/marineaquaria/marineich.html

The tank the fish are in now needs to remain fish-free for the next 6-8 weeks or the Ich that is in there will be tranferred back to any fish introduced.

..and no, adding beneficial bacterial will not cause your ammonia to go away. Amquel & Amquel PLUS are 2 different products. Prime would be about the same as Amquel Plus, so no need to change. You need to figure out what you are adding that caused the ammonia to spike.

I don't have the resources to set up a hospital tank. As I said this happened pretty suddenly. The yellow tang and the corals, I was just storing live rock in there initially. Also I should point out I do have a UV sterilizer which seems to be helping the ich (also I'm feeding NLS w. Garlic which I think is helping too). Preferably I'd like to get rid of the ick using the UV since I have no other options really. What do you think about the UV method? I could wait it out for 2 months or so I figure no?

I'm sure the Amm. and Nitrite spike is from me over feeding. ( I feed the tangs a lot because they're always begging for it! :( and the corals daily because I love seeing the tentacles come out.) But because of this spike I've cut down on feeding tremendously.

Last edited:

fripclaksid

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
kick-ick works in a tank with corals (if you use it as the lable tels you to) I have used it in the past an lost nothing.In a 265 with a bout 700lb of rock with 8or 9 styros of corls an who knows how many invearts .Thay sell it at the hut where i worked for years. an lets be real who ever sold you 3 tangs for a tank that size doesnt care about you or your your fish . an shouldnt b selling to do with fish . An if he didnt ask you what you r puting them in , means he didnt care right from the start Find a newplace to shop

Noone sold me the tangs. I'm aware I can't house 3 yellow tangs in a 29 gallon. They arrived accidentally, much like the corals. My friend who initially had the problem with the ich used kick-ich and It didn't do much for him. So I'm not so sure if I want to spend my limited resources on the medicine.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: