Rating - 100%
14   0   0
What is the best way to dose Lanthanum Chloride .I see people mixing 5ml in a liter of water and dripping it slowly ofer 8 hrs. and i see people dosing staright 5L of seaclear into a filter sock.which method is the way to go.i have put 2 ml straight a couple of time and saw no ill effects to tank. Just slight cloudness.

SPotter

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
theres a long thread about this on RC. If you have fish and corals it should be dripped slowly into a 10 micron filter sock. When LC hits the water, po4 will bind with it and cause precipitate. If not caught inthe sock it can build up on your corals and could irritate the gills of your fish. Also if you drip too fast your filter sock will clog a lot faster. If you are using it to cure rocks you can dose ditectly to the tank.

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
theres a long thread about this on RC. If you have fish and corals it should be dripped slowly into a 10 micron filter sock. When LC hits the water, po4 will bind with it and cause precipitate. If not caught inthe sock it can build up on your corals and could irritate the gills of your fish. Also if you drip too fast your filter sock will clog a lot faster. If you are using it to cure rocks you can dose ditectly to the tank.

Do you have the link?

SPotter

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I would not drip it straight if you are adding it to a dt with corals. you dont want to drop your po4 too quickly. When I dripped into my DT I did 3ml to 1 gallon of rodi. I would start off with a lower concentration solution and increase from there. Right now I am curing my rocks again and I am just dosing it straight into my curing bins.

Whats your po4 level right now?

SPotter

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I've never dosed vodka before but from what I understand vodka will take care of nitrates and then phosphates and is a slow process to achieve low numbers....please correct me if I am wrong. LC will only reduce phosphates and can lower it pretty quickly. I know guys that use it as a weekly or monthly maintenance dose and guys that have set it up so it drips 24/7. I look at LC as a solution to a large problem like when curing rocks or when someone has been neglecting their tank for a long time and phosphates levels are high. Use the LC to get the levels down to an acceptable level and then use gfo or carbon dosing to fine tune the level and bring it down further.

mshur

Rating - 99.3%
294   2   1
You right Steve. As any carbon dosing, first NO3 then Po4 .but if presens of PO4
significant then i would use small amount of GFo to remove it,,
Steve, i am curing new Tonga branches as we speak and will use LC next week:)
PS. Email me

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
You right Steve. As any carbon dosing, first NO3 then Po4 .but if presens of PO4
significant then i would use small amount of GFo to remove it,,
Steve, i am curing new Tonga branches as we speak and will use LC next week:)
PS. Email me

Can you enlighten me on how you will do this, just curious as I was thinking about doing this myself.

SPotter

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Here is how I have my rocks set up right now. I first dipped them in muriatic acid, rinsed, scrubbed and rinsed again. Then placed in the bins with a 50/50 vinegar/rodi bath for the last 36 hrs. I am using two power heads and a mag 7.5 for the circulation between bins.
2013-01-25200725.jpg

2013-01-25201348.jpg

I have been pulling the pieces out one at a time to scrub and rinse in my utility sink that I fill up with rodi so I can scrub, dunk then back into the bin. My plan is not to add sw to the bins until I have removed a lot of the po4. No sense in wasting sw since I have wasted a lot over the last 12 months already.

Finally Im trying to figure out a way too hook my water storage containers up to a new pressure washer so i can really blast the junk out of my rocks.

Last edited:

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Here is how I have my rocks set up right now. I first dipped them in muriatic acid, rinsed, scrubbed and rinsed again. Then placed in the bins with a 50/50 vinegar/rodi bath for the last 36 hrs. I am using two power heads and a mag 7.5 for the circulation between bins.
2013-01-25200725.jpg

2013-01-25201348.jpg

I have been pulling the pieces out one at a time to scrub and rinse in my utility sink that I fill up with rodi so I can scrub, dunk then back into the bin. My plan is not to add sw to the bins until I have removed a lot of the po4. No sense in wasting sw since I have wasted a lot over the last 12 months already.

How are you dosing it? And how much? Just pouring it in?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: