nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
Hey Boomer,

What are your thoughts on beating Bryopsis in a reef tank? I've been doing a lot of reading and people believe it's the sulfate that may be killing the bryopsis.

I know Tech-M seems to be a sure fire way, but with a 200g tank it's going to get pricey. Kent essential elements seems to have much of the same ingredients as Tech-M, do you think it's worthwhile to give that a shot?

Thanks,
Kris

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nano

We are not sure what does it. It was a method Mojo Reef and I innovated years ago. Other Magnesium sulfates have been used with little or no success. We believe it is some unknown " substance" in the Kent. Furthermore, it does not always work. That means that its addition must react or combine with some unknown in one tank but not another. SeaChem Labs ran some tests on a number of mag based sulfate sup's, to include Kent and could not find any connection. In thier test it did nothing. However, we know for fact it does work well for many but again not all.

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
While Kent M can work it doesn't always I have experienced both. Honestly out of trying lettuce nudi's, sea hares, turbos, lights off, manual removal, hydrogen peroxide the best thing I found was bristle tooth tang.

I would say combo of manual removal, sea hare (but only a certain species I will have to remember or look up) and bristle tooth tang.

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
I have three tangs in there, a kole, an atlantic blue, and a dussemieiri and none of them show real interest in the stuff. I've been manually removing big chunks of it and it's seemed to help. It's growth seems stunted (I leave some on the glass as a measure). I'm sure I'll beat it.

Thinking back a powerhead droppde and pointed at the sand, this caused a huge disturbance in the sand. After this it showed up and grew like crazy, now it's stunted. I've been adding mgso4 to the tank, so maybe that's helping too.

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
For what it's worth, my experience and my research led to not only using Kent M but also using it to raise levels to 1700+/- for 3 weeks. Never returned after that. 3 years sober lol

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
Just wanted to give a little update on what I've been trying.

I did some research and it seems Kent Essential Elements has similar ingredients to those found in Tech-M (minus the Mg). I started dosing this about 1.5 weeks ago and growth on the bryopsis has stopped almost completely. Nothing else in the system has changed.

Cautiously optimistic this will work out.

I removed some rock from the tank yesterday to allow for more flow in and around the rocks to get rid of any settling detritus (pukani rock traps a lot of it). Will update again in a couple weeks.

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
Honestly I think spot treating is better. I turn off all the flow and let it sink into the rock work for 5 mins or so. Within a day or two the surrounding patches are white. When the stuff starts to die tangs start going for it. Just pulled out some more that was lower in the tank. It's coming off easier too which is nice.

Tonyscoots you got bryopsis? Lol

Sweetelfmaiden

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Get a lettuce sea slug. They are bryopsis machines. I have one and I constantly have to go to the fish store to get bryosis to feed it. For some reason I've tried deliberately seeding my tank and refugium multiple times but it simply WILL NOT GROW. AT ALL. Very frustrating.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: