KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I got this little clam ..about 4"..earlier this year as a freebie from someone who was breaking down a tank. Never did have much color, nor did he ever seem like he wanted to attach to anything on a permanent basis, but he didn't move around so I assumed he was pleased with his placement on his little rock.
When I recently upgraded, he was easy to move since he wasn't attached anyway.
When I left for work this morning he was just hanging out.
I hear he looked 'normal at 3PM today..

Got in about 45 minutes ago..and he'd taken hanging out to a whole new level...
P8290014.jpg

He's the mushy white splotch to the left of the Cabbage coral..
P8290016.jpg

He looks more like a DIY project now...
P8290019.jpg

When I found him the Peppermint Shrimp was having a feast on what was left of him, and his foot was floating around inside of his empty shell.

This morning his mantle was extended as usual and the only changes near him a Cabbage coral was placed about 5" behind him a couple of days go and I'd glued a cap about 8" off to the side last night..no other changes to the tank.

Do clams just up & die sometimes? Is it usual for them to expel their innards when they die?:scratchch

Should I/can I feed the leftovers to my anemone?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Thanks for the info guys!
I'll save a piece & feed it to the anemone (who has reappeared in the other tank as of this morning) and I'll hang onto his shell..can always glue some zoos onto it or make it the base for perhaps a future clam.
The rest of him will get flushed, I'll say something in Latin first...
He will live on !:flower:

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Sorry for your loss Kat!:sad2: Wish I had some info for you. One thing though, I would NOT feed the remains to the anemone since the cause of it's demise is not known. But that is just my opinion...

ScottK

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Sorry about the clam, that stinks! One thing I noticed in the photos, it doesn't appear that the clam had been growing recently - there's virtually no white strip of fresh shell at the lip. If a clam isn't growing, that's a pretty good sign something is wrong.

How long did you have it? Clams are weird in that they may be sick for a while, yet show no outward signs (except for not growing) until they up and die one day.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Thanks folks.
The clam looked exactly the same from the day he was given to me to the day he died. He'd open, he'd close and a couple of months ago he tipped over & I stood him back up. Never saw any growth, nor any white strip of flesh at the lip. Maybe he was sick from the time he came here...

And frankly, I didn't find the Michael Vick comment even remotely funny. I have no sense of humor when it comes to harming animals...

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: