Macropora

Zoa Echino Aficionado
Rating - 100%
725   0   0
Are there any natural predators that feed on the flesh of LPS such as chalices? I know of zoa eating spiders, monti eating nudibranches and starfish that feed off the slime of some SPS. Some of my chalices all of a sudden are getting the edges eaten out. What could the culprits be?

Any experience a ballooning effect when the chalice blows up like a balloon for a few days at a time and then goes back to normal? I thought it was from feeding mysis shrimp, but they usually go back to normal a day or two later.

Any feedback on the two questions would be appreciated.

flipit13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
i dont know of any critters eat chalices but i am sure there has to be a pest for them... i know when my chalices ballon there is usually another mouth shortly after that... just my 2 cents

D1J8Z

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
have you been feeding them? Maybe your angel turned into a LPS picker.

Some fish tend to pick on new items.

I had a goldflake that only liked orange acans and green chalices go figure

Macropora

Zoa Echino Aficionado
Rating - 100%
725   0   0
have you been feeding them? Maybe your angel turned into a LPS picker.

Some fish tend to pick on new items.

I had a goldflake that only liked orange acans and green chalices go figure

I only have a Fridmani Pseudo in the 120 gallon where I keep the chalices. I target feed the chalices once a week with mini mysis. Thanks for the info. I found a couple mini starfish and removed them...

Cherrycorals

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
I have heard of people treating with interceptor, no pinpointed bug to speak of but I guess good results.

Trop has photos of an acan eating spider, very tiny and I am not sure if they like anything else. It wiped out all of their Indo Acan's in one of the big vats.

Last edited:

Macropora

Zoa Echino Aficionado
Rating - 100%
725   0   0
I have heard of people treating with interceptor, no pinpointed bug to speak of but I guess good results.

Trop has photos of an acan eating spider, very tiny and I am not sure if they like anything else. It wiped out all of their Indo Acan's in one of the big vats.

Thanks Todd. I ordered some online and should get it in a week. I see it spreading to some of the favias, but the healthy ones are doing fine. It's like catching a cold and only the weak will pick it up quicker than a healthy one.

Macropora

Zoa Echino Aficionado
Rating - 100%
725   0   0
Just treated the entire 485 gallon system with 1 1/4 tabs of interceptor and followed the recommendations. Let's see what happens...

Dace

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.7%
393   1   0
Just treated the entire 485 gallon system with 1 1/4 tabs of interceptor and followed the recommendations. Let's see what happens...
that might not be enough, i read that a 100lb dog pill will do 300gas of water and most people over dose being that theres no ill effect with the interceptor, i would of gone with 2 pills for your total water volume.

Macropora

Zoa Echino Aficionado
Rating - 100%
725   0   0
that might not be enough, i read that a 100lb dog pill will do 300gas of water and most people over dose being that theres no ill effect with the interceptor, i would of gone with 2 pills for your total water volume.

Thanks David. I don't see anything happening. Will up it tomorrow.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: