xclusive252

55 gal salt water
Rating - 97.6%
124   3   0
Well yesterday I made my fish food again because a few of my friends asked me to make it and one of them said I should make a post on it so here it is. I got a few items from the fish market and soaked and cleaned all the fish in RO/DI water a few times until the water wasn't cloudy anymore(didn't realize the first time I did this how dirty fresh sea food can be). I added a few items we all feed our tank like Cyclopes, krill, mysis. I soaked the Nori in Garlic extreme for about an hour or so to make sure it was absorbed well. Last I diced it all together and added some oyster feast and selcon. All and all my fish love it and I'm guessing so does my friends. I pretty much followed a recipe I found online. This is the 3rd time I make the food and I wanted to share some pics along with this thread to my fellow reefers. Enjoy!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0265.jpg
    IMG_0265.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 435
  • IMG_0264.jpg
    IMG_0264.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 432
Last edited:

ReefMonkey13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I spent about $120-$150

Wow that is a lot.:eek::eek:

i make my own fish food too but i I have not spent more than $30 or so.

I usually get the frozen sea food mix which has squid, clams, shrimp and mussels for about $5. Soak it in RODI and put in the blender.

I also mix in cut up nori (Regular sea weed from chinese supermarket about $2) and fresh garlic with the food and throw it all in the blender. Then would mix thawed out Mysis soaked in selcon.

I'm due to make some mix in a month or so I will add on once I get my ingredients. Need to get my hands on some Cyclopeeze I have not added those in a while.

Mind you I now only need make this mix for a 20 gallon so this next batch can last me over a year.

MikeC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
I heard it is always better to use as much fresh sea food as possible as a posed to frozen?

Im guessing cost is relative to the amount your making for what size tank and what additives you include.

But I think of it like this if I'm making it I know whats in it and that makes me feel better :)

xclusive252

55 gal salt water
Rating - 97.6%
124   3   0
Yes all the stuff I put was as fresh as possible. The clams and oysters were chucked the same hour I put them in the chopper. The nori I cut by hand to make sure all pieces are of good size and the additives I placed in it are things I've used in my tank and that friends of mine have used. I know what I made is all fresh and all cleaned in RO/DI. My fish and corals eat better then me.

Reeffrenzy

Experienced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great!

A couple tips I may offer is to wrap the food you think will be stored for more than a month in brown grocery bags or freezer paper. This will aid in fending off freezer burn and keep moisture out.

Also keeping the food in the coldest part of the freezer where it can avoid the minor changes in temp with the door opening up often will also help keep it fresher for long term storage.

It looks like you have enough food for a while!

I was in the PD for about ten years. I don't miss it or the cold up north... :) Be safe.

Larry

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Looks great!

A couple tips I may offer is to wrap the food you think will be stored for more than a month in brown grocery bags or freezer paper. This will aid in fending off freezer burn and keep moisture out.

Also keeping the food in the coldest part of the freezer where it can avoid the minor changes in temp with the door opening up often will also help keep it fresher for long term storage.

It looks like you have enough food for a while!

I was in the PD for about ten years. I don't miss it or the cold up north... :) Be safe.

Larry

+1 another reason to by LRS!!!

Giving away the trade secrets to help fellow reefers!!!

Welcome to MR Larry!!!

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
My friend here hooked me up with some of this premium fish food. The fish and corals go crazy for it and are really thriving on it. I have to say the smell of the food in the bag isn't necessarily pleasant but I attribute it to the quality blend of freshly frozen sea food. I mix it with a tiny bit of mysis but am using it for the majority of my feedings now as the fish really prefer it.

xclusive252

55 gal salt water
Rating - 97.6%
124   3   0
Ok its that time again and I am making the food again so I will try and take more pics and maybe a video also to help others who wanted to try it but wanted to see how it is done. Pics to come soon.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: