• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

hfmann

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Van - So that's your website with the info on repair and overhaul! Good info.

That's right, I did say that didn't I. Yes, when installed wet they won't work loose

Forgive me, but I'm still confused. Are you saying to coat the nylon screws in silicone lubricant? Or silicone sealer, or to just get them wet?

It certainly is great to have resources like your aerospace compatriots.

LOL...SeaMaiden

Take care and I'll be back with more q's as I cobble this bracket together.

Hal

ReefVan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:D Hal,

The nylon screws need to have a dab of that epoxy adhesive on the threads prior to assembly.

I quoted the adhesive part number in the previous post. A word of warning, make sure you want this done exactly like that, you might never be able to undo it once bonded.

Or at least you won't unless you drill the screws out.

Van 8)

hfmann

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Van,

A word of warning, make sure you want this done exactly like that, you might never be able to undo it once bonded

Well, that's got me thinking that an alternative might be called for. Some sort of locking (double) nuts perhaps.

I'll let you know how I make out. I'm a bit new to this level (high) of DIY work :)

Take care,
Hal

ReefVan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:D Update,

Did some bonding tests with Loctite 271 - "Red". Seems to hold nylon / plastics in a threaded joint quite well for general use, joint can be broken if required.

The only thing I found was that it seemed to take a couple of days to fully cure. Might be temperature and humidity driving the curing process.

Van 8)

hfmann

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Van,

Did some bonding tests with Loctite 271 - "Red". Seems to hold nylon / plastics in a threaded joint quite well for general use, joint can be broken if required
That's really good to know. I think that's the approach I'll take. Looks like taxes are going to consume my time this weekend. Next chance I get at this project will be mid April. :(

Thanks for the help and I'll let you know how it goes.

Hal

Acro-Head

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still scratching my head about the earlier post dealing with patents and other stuff.
Is anyone trying to market these DIY items to sell over the net? I didnt see that anywhere.
So if I build a FORD copy and use it at me house, and let my friends use the same design to use at their house, WHY WOULD FORD TRY TO SUE me?
C'mon.
thats so silly.
For the arguement, I think if your spreading the word on how to build a knock off Skimmer, or Ca Reactor, the FBI is not kicking in anyones door to arrest anyone, ARE THEY?
So why the concern over a man trying to make a rotating water return?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The argument can be made that the publishing of certian images and diagrams is a patent infringement. The FBI will not come looking, but the holder of the patent can bring forth litigation. Being involved in litigation sucks, hence certian parties wish to avoid being involved in such litigation.
I am in no way taking any side here, just trying to shed some light.

Just to point out, there has been no legal issue with the information that has been posted on this website.

RR

ReefVan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:D Hi Folks,

I'll see if I can find some time to get a tutorial together sometime in the next week or so on how to build the rotating nozzle asembly.

Van 8)

ChrisIsBored

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see you've still been working on this project ReefVan. Having seen and read most all of the posts from the other threads at RC, i'd have to agree that there should be no harm in reinventing the wheel.

Keep up the good work! ;)

ReefVan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:D Hi Kabob,

Do you think it would be possible to run 1.5" pipe on this rather than 1"?

You probably could, but at 1" dia it'll already run 1500-2000 gph since there are no O-Rings to leak. I've run it on a Sen 900 at 0' head, i.e 1150 gph, and it was operating without any trouble.

To re-design for 1.5", you'll have to find some pipe couplings that fit well inside each other to build the nozzle assembly. Then ensure not to overpower your unit or the waves will wash over the edge of the tank.

Someone else made that point about the 1.5" today and basically we agreed that to split the flow between two 1" Rats would be the best.

Anyway, good luck if you try it out.

Van 8)

Kabob

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ReefVan,

What tool(s) did you use to create the o-ring groves? I was also wondering, is that a 3/4" model on your web page?

Thanks!
Jason

ReefVan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:D Hi Jason,

I used a Dremel rotary tool with a Dremel Router Table to turn the shaft O-Ring grooves.

All I did was use a couple of wooden blocks as end stops for the pipe and rotate the pipe surface against the spinning cutting bit.

The high speed and gradual material removal give a nice finish. It might take a couple of tries to get the hang of it. Use some scrap pieces first!

There is a definite direction to rotate the pipe so the bit won't catch the surface and jump, be careful. :wink:

Van 8)

ReefVan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:D Jason,

The model on my webpage is a 1" diameter. I figured for what it was worth, I might as well make something high flow while I was at it.

Van 8)

ReefVan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:D For those of you who are DIY challenged or just can't be bothered, I have accumulated the appropriate materials in quantity to be able to help you obtain a 1.0" ReefRat. :wink:

Leave me a PM and perhaps soon you'll have one of these little babies purring away on your tank. :)

Van 8)

Kabob

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the start of my DIY rotating return. :D

Jason

Attachments

• dscn1754.jpg
    dscn1754.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 4,673

ReefVan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:D Update on the Rat, after production of another batch I've improved the design even further. :wink:

DSC00800.jpg

Two new Rats ready for a new home

DSC00798.jpg

Mounting hardware in place

DSC00796.jpg

Interchangeable Jet-Nozzle in place

DSC00795.jpg

Bottom View fully assembled

DSC00793.jpg

Mounted Rat - Side View on 220 gal in garage

DSC00792.jpg

Mounted Rat - Offset View on 220 gal in garage

DSC00789.jpg

Prototype/Endurance Rat at play, 2 rpm version @ 1100 gph

DSC00791.jpg

Prototype/Endurance Rat at play, 2 rpm version @ 1100 gph

Van
[/img]

ReefVan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:D Mmmmm Kabob,

That sure looks familiar! You been tutored on how to do this somewhere on the 'net? :wink: Is it a Rat or a Squirrel?

Good show, keep up the good work. :D

Van 8)

hfmann

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Van,

What's the difference in function between the Rat and the Squirrel.

Kabob, very nice looking. You've inspired me to start making one of these.

I need more flow.

Hal

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: