• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

ReefVan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:D Hi Hal,

A Sea-Squirrel is a DIY clone of an Aqua-Gate and a Reef-Rat is as shown in the pictures above, a rotating return unit with an articulated Jet-Nozzle exhaust. :wink:

Wow! Now That's a mouthful. :P

Basically the Reef-Rat is my own invention or implementation, if you wish, of a "Rotating Return Unit". :) Read - A Sea-Swirl has the same function as the Reef-Rat but uses a completely different mechanical implementation to achieve it. :wink:

Van 8)

hfmann

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiya Van,

Both are very nice looking units. Since both the Rat and Squirrel essentially perform the same function, which one do you feel does the best job? How about cost comparison (US Dollars) to construct? And finally which one requires the higher degree of machining and DIY skill?

I'm trying to decide whether to buy a couple of commercially available units or step up to the Rat/Squirrel solution.

As always I really appreciate your help. The resurrected and rejuvenated 1/2" Aqua gate you helped me recondition is working great but just too small for my needs.

Hal

liquid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know what would be kewl? Hook a toilet flapper surge device to this puppy. That would seriously be sweet. What would you guestimate it'll cost to build the Reef Rat?

Shane

ReefVan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:D Hal,

The Rat does not have the O-Ring wear or leak issue and can handle a higher flow.

I am presently building 1" Reef-Rats for my buddies and am getting great feedback on the performance. :wink:

Drop me a PM if you're interested in one.

Van 8)

baconcheese

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you thought of making one for the tunze stream pumps? strong flow with wide sweeps across the AQ - that would be fantastic! i was thinking of installing a rotating Jet-Nozzle in front of the stream like the Rat. Will definitely try this out myself!

ReefVan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:D Great idea, how big would you make the nozzle? :?

Do you think perhaps that a lateral pivot hinge on the Tunze support bracket may be a more unobtrusive (visual appeal) solution? :wink:

I'd consider modifying a Rat drive unit to drive the pivoting Tunze Stream pump. :idea:

Now all I need is a Tunze Stream pump to experiment with .... :P

Van 8)

baconcheese

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The output nozzle on my stream ph is 2" (diameter). Haven't been to a hardware store lately but I recall seeing some large pipes so I'm sure we could find something large enough to use as the nozzle.

bear in mind these ph's are big! rotating the whole stream ph with the tunze bracket may be too much for the rat to handle 24/7. besides, having this big chunk of equipment rotating in the corner is distracting. don't want to have friends coming over and finding the ph's more fun to look at than my fish!

one good way to really hide everything is to construct a corner box with a big slit and the nozzle behind it. but then to fit everything in the corner box it will have to be quite big.

looking from the top, the stream ph is 7" wide and 14" long. the long side is the side that juts out from the support bracket on the tank glas. from the side, the height is 10". the bracket at the top of the stream has a 1.2" hole to hang on the support bracket. if you need more dimensions just let me know.

ReefVan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:D I may have someone who will trade me a Turbelle Stream 6060 for one of my Reef-Rats.

I'll try the Rat mod on it and post the results when I'm satisfied. :D

If this works out then it'll be another ReefVan special... :P The Rat motor can handle this no problem.

Van 8)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: