• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

If you want to get the air out quicker use a liquid ring pump. They are the bomb when it comes to dual phase (air/water apps) Big vacuums. We use Travani pumps. Don't know if you are going for rapidity or just want it to work on a budget.

These are mega expensive so maybe not, but if you want the mack daddy vacuum pump....

http://www.usvacuumpumps.com/welcome/tr ... pumps.html

A

Anonymous

It is only a few psi, so just a low pressure, high volume pump.

A

Anonymous

seven ephors":2aagnxb5 said:
The only difference here is that air has a much lower viscosity than water, ( the back pressure is the same for both methods) and it is more critical to open up the valve with appropriate speed if you want a nice "punch" to the wave.

Exactly! It's like you're reading my mind. :D The problem is that no one has been able to get a nice punch to a wave using the drop method. And the places that have tried it have far more resources at their disposal than I had. I did a lot of research on this, a lot of e-mails and phone calls during the 18 months of planning, so this has all gone through my mind.

A

Anonymous

kevlouie":2hrromfi said:
If you want to get the air out quicker use a liquid ring pump. They are the bomb when it comes to dual phase (air/water apps) Big vacuums. We use Travani pumps. Don't know if you are going for rapidity or just want it to work on a budget.

Budget! :lol:

A

Anonymous

>...And the places that have tried it have far more resources at their disposal than I had.

I know I sounds like a jerk already, but there are ways to accomplish this without spending any more than you did. for example, a cantilever gate valve setup will give a nice punch to the wave, and it can easily DIY'ed

A

Anonymous

seven ephors":1itn04ub said:
>...And the places that have tried it have far more resources at their disposal than I had.

I know I sounds like a jerk already, but there are ways to accomplish this without spending any more than you did. for example, a cantilever gate valve setup will give a nice punch to the wave, and it can easily DIY'ed

A jerk? No way, I was just taking this as constructive criticism and discussion...

...unless, you're trying to be a jerk ;)

I think we have to agree to disagree. Cantilever gates for the drop are used at several places, and the waves are relatively weak, mushy and poorly consolidated.

I actually didn't spend anything. These were all materials we had in our fabrication plant already.

A

Anonymous

>...Cantilever gates for the drop are used at several places, and the waves are relatively weak, mushy and poorly consolidated.

Bad engineers (or maybe I should say bad technicians?!?!) implementing a device in poor fashion does not make it less desireable setup for your application.

A

Anonymous

>..unless, you're trying to be a jerk ...

I think I can call this a success!

liquid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where does the output of the pump go that has the venturi hooked to it? Back into the tank or is it in the sump?

Shane

copied to the DIY Forum

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
>...The spa venturi is hooked to a closed loop running on a tank sump,

Does that answered your question, Shane?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever think that I may have posted this in the sump for a reason (besides that this is not "do it yourself" for reef aquariums)?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a feeling you will burn up a spa venturi doing what you are doing. Are you going to be using it only sporadically or are you looking at a long term run on the simulator.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You be surprised, galleon. Many peope have tanks bigger than 3 feet x 10 feet, for example. They often DIY similar surge box, even for home aquarium.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kevlouie":788ruxil said:
I have a feeling you will burn up a spa venturi doing what you are doing.

Am I smoking something? A spa venturi is just a PVC venturi fitting. Tough to "burn up" something with no moving parts.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seven ephors":h5l5028z said:
You be surprised, galleon. Many peope have tanks bigger than 3 feet x 10 feet, for example. They often DIY similar surge box, even for home aquarium.

I doubt it, unless they have a 3 foot tall barriers around the tank to keep the wave contained.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
liquid":2x4jbyme said:
Possibly. However it is more DIY related, thus the "copied to diy forum"... ;)

Shane

I'm not sure how much clearer I can make this. I posted this in the Sump because I felt like sharing an accomplishment with a small group of regulars who I enjoy discussions with, NOT as a didactic manual for hobbyists.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you think it's a big deal, we can move it out of the DIY forum if you insist. The shadow (along with the thread) will continue to show up in this forum. You had good ideas for a DIY design that could be fashioned for home aquariums, which accounted for the move. No malice was intended.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: