• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Len":36sgr04z said:
No malice was intended.

None was felt. I know you're doing your job moving threads to categorize content. I don't fault you for that. However, I've been here awhile, understand how the forums work, what content they are supposed to contain, therefore, your assumption that I didn't want that thread in the Sump (that I intentionally posted there) is a little surprising. I'll PM you further details later this evening. As of now, the critical posts in this thread will stay milzed.

A

Anonymous

galleon":6defbaq3 said:
seven ephors":6defbaq3 said:
You be surprised, galleon. Many peope have tanks bigger than 3 feet x 10 feet, for example. They often DIY similar surge box, even for home aquarium.

I doubt it, unless they have a 3 foot tall barriers around the tank to keep the wave contained.

You're right. Most hobbyist are concerned what's under the water, not the air/water interface and the wave associate with it. However, there are many people who got tank comparable in size to what you stated in your milzed post.

A

Anonymous

Could it be down sized to hobbiest size? Is their a set of equations that coralate tank size, surge tank, wave height, etc.

A

Anonymous

>...Could it be down sized to hobbiest size?

What the use of a wave? Making salt spray? Reefkeepers just care about the water movement aspect. We don't keep any animal that surf on the wave. Maybe I overlook something...

>... Is their a set of equations that coralate tank size, surge tank, wave height, etc.

There are more than 100+ books currently in the library downstairs from my office that talk about nothing but physical oceanography and surge tank and wave.

A

Anonymous

galleon":63ae4xu6 said:
kevlouie":63ae4xu6 said:
I have a feeling you will burn up a spa venturi doing what you are doing.

Am I smoking something? A spa venturi is just a PVC venturi fitting. Tough to "burn up" something with no moving parts.

Yeah but there has to be some kind of pump using that thing to pull a vacuum to lift the water up, right? I doubt most little air blowers are desgined for that kind of back pressure. The pumps I put on there are.

A

Anonymous

kevlouie":30vyblf8 said:
galleon":30vyblf8 said:
kevlouie":30vyblf8 said:

Am I smoking something? A spa venturi is just a PVC venturi fitting. Tough to "burn up" something with no moving parts.

Yeah but there has to be some kind of pump using that thing to pull a vacuum to lift the water up, right? I doubt most little air blowers are desgined for that kind of back pressure. The pumps I put on there are.

It uses a high velocity pressure rated water pump that pulls water from the sump and puts it back in the sump. There is no blower. The venturi is on the pressurized return line going from the pump to the sump.

A

Anonymous

seven ephors":2bjj93c7 said:

What the use of a wave? Making salt spray? Reefkeepers just care about the water movement aspect. We don't keep any animal that surf on the wave. Maybe I overlook something...

>... Is their a set of equations that coralate tank size, surge tank, wave height, etc.

There are more than 100+ books currently in the library downstairs from my office that talk about nothing but physical oceanography and surge tank and wave.

I was thinking that downsizing the device it could be used as a surge. Since most do not have a tank that is shallower on one side than the other it should not produce any surf, just a swell. I know their are tons of book out their, I was being lazy and wanted to know what he used.

A

Anonymous

I don't know much about galleon's setup, but sounds like he used ad hoc approach on his. Wave2K, for example, use similar (well, IMO, most actuated wavemaker are similar) approach. Instead of pnemonically actuated like galleon's, a machanical actuator using screw gear is used instead.

A

Anonymous

I'v seen the plunger type before and was thinkning the pneumatic one was a good idea.

A

Anonymous

Awhile back, someone posted a thread about a device by a german company that generate swells using propeller pumps on opposite side of a tank. It was demo'ed in a hobby conference. Anyone remember the thread? The company is either Tunze or Eheim... This approach is probably one of the more efficient method.

A

Anonymous

galleon":3haki5mn said:
kevlouie":3haki5mn said:
galleon":3haki5mn said:
kevlouie":3haki5mn said:

It uses a high velocity pressure rated water pump that pulls water from the sump and puts it back in the sump. There is no blower. The venturi is on the pressurized return line going from the pump to the sump.

Oh sorry, gotcha. My bad. ANd you have tried this and it works with that much volume of water? I guess I'm just assuming this is a large tank.

A

Anonymous

seven ephors":2ijqyk56 said:
Awhile back, someone posted a thread about a device by a german company that generate swells using propeller pumps on opposite side of a tank. It was demo'ed in a hobby conference. Anyone remember the thread? The company is either Tunze or Eheim... This approach is probably one of the more efficient method.

Tunze

http://reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=50029

A

Anonymous

seven ephors":35jq0y9j said:

I agree. Lateral water movement is far more important and is the dominant form of water motion on reefs.

A

Anonymous

seven ephors":305q6fhq said:

Yeah, definitely more efficient, using resonance. But, we wanted to make a traveling wave, with a variable, more natural period that we could adjust.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: