• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Please do, sounds way cool. Any chance of a picture of a toy surfer in there? :wink:

A

Anonymous

Sounds neat. I would like to see a diagram and pictures.

A

Anonymous

Njord":bdvj48v1 said:
Please do, sounds way cool. Any chance of a picture of a toy surfer in there? :wink:

Heh. You want to impress me? Let's see Chris himself surfing in there...

:)

Peace,

Chip

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fatal Morgana":l5fccgui said:
Why use a venturi to suck air out instead of using the very same pump to pump water up?

And have a door open at the bottom of the reservoir at the connector to let the water out? No thanks. A lot more expensive, less reliable (mechanical parts underwater) and a smaller, weaker, less believable wave. Plus, I had to use materials on hand.

Three schools of thought on swell generators are the pump and drop, like what I just described in this post, the paddle push, and the pull and drop, like what I built is derived from (most operate functionally identical, but with more expensive parts and mechanisms). The first has been used traditionally in large wavepools. It makes a weak, mushy, crumbling wave. The second is a little better, it makes barely surfable waves like those found at typhoon lagoon. The pull and drop concept is recently becoming more popular, like at places such as Miyazaki's Ocean Dome in Japan, which is the largest wave pool. The pull and drop wavemaker there, coupled with the bottom contours of the wave pool, can make a powerful, perfectly barrelling 8 foot closeout wave.

Pictures from Miyazaki's Ocean Dome (pull and drop swell generator):

callahan_centerpeak.jpg

tj_aaron_fredette_seq_5.jpg

tj_mpitts_jsc2.jpg

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
galleon":tqnbx4me said:
Fatal Morgana":tqnbx4me said:
Why use a venturi to suck air out instead of using the very same pump to pump water up?

And have a door open at the bottom of the reservoir at the connector to let the water out? No thanks. A lot more expensive, less reliable (mechanical parts underwater) and a smaller, weaker, less believable wave. Plus, I had to use materials on hand. ...

:?

In your post, if I understand it correctly, you say you use a water pump to recirculate water in the sump. There is a venturi attached to that pump, which suck the air out of the surge tank, and pull up water:

there's two bulkheads, one 3" bulkhead and one 3/4" bulkhead. The 3/4" bulkhead leads to the suction barb of a 1" x 3/4" spa venturi. The spa venturi is hooked to a closed loop running on a tank sump, being powered by a high velocity, pressure rated pump.
The venturi sucks the air out of the box, replacing it with water from the tank.

The 3" bulkhead is at the bottome of the surge box, right?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seven ephors":1a5jex30 said:
galleon":1a5jex30 said:
Fatal Morgana":1a5jex30 said:

And have a door open at the bottom of the reservoir at the connector to let the water out? No thanks. A lot more expensive, less reliable (mechanical parts underwater) and a smaller, weaker, less believable wave. Plus, I had to use materials on hand. ...

:?

In your post, if I understand it correctly, you say you use a water pump to recirculate water in the sump. There is a venturi attached to that pump, which suck the air out of the surge tank, and pull up water:

there's two bulkheads, one 3" bulkhead and one 3/4" bulkhead. The 3/4" bulkhead leads to the suction barb of a 1" x 3/4" spa venturi. The spa venturi is hooked to a closed loop running on a tank sump, being powered by a high velocity, pressure rated pump.
The venturi sucks the air out of the box, replacing it with water from the tank.

The 3" bulkhead is at the bottome of the surge box, right?

No, at the top. The only opening at the bottom is the large rectangle where the water exits the surge box. I'll work on a quick diagram.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be pretty cool to have one in your backyard! Ok, you'd need a big backyard too..I know what I am going to do with my lottery winnings...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
>...No, at the top....

I see now.

Whatever's done is done, but FWIW, I would done this differently with similar material at hand.

1, use a 10X40 plate valve (or a butterfly valve with two 10X20 flaps) over the 8X36 opening.

2, Lifer open the plate/butterfly valve instead of the 3 inch air valve.

3, use the pump to pump water directly instead of water->air via venturi->water via air pressure.

This will enable you to make bigger wave, use less electricity, and faster cycle.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seven ephors":xi4dqkl7 said:
>...No, at the top....

I see now.

Whatever's done is done, but FWIW, I would done this differently with similar material at hand.

1, use a 10X40 plate valve (or a butterfly valve with two 10X20 flaps) over the 8X36 opening.

2, Lifer open the plate/butterfly valve instead of the 3 inch air valve.

3, use the pump to pump water directly instead of water->air via venturi->water via air pressure.

This will enable you to make bigger wave, use less electricity, and faster cycle.

Is there an echo in here? Did you read my post above? On paper it looks great, in reality, the waves are crap.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chris,

Congratulations. Maybe there were times when you wanted to tear your hair out, but it looks like it must have been quite interesting and rewarding. I hope you guys are successful in raising plenty of funds.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
>...And have a door open at the bottom of the reservoir at the connector to let the water out? No thanks. A lot more expensive, less reliable (mechanical parts underwater) and a smaller, weaker, less believable wave. ...

Yes, I read the above, but just need to have someone bet my head a couple of time before anything starts to sink in...

Can you confirm again that with the same water height in the surge box, the air-controll approach give you better wave than the water-controll approach?

I am sure you are going to say affirmative ;)

The only difference here is that air has a much lower viscosity than water, ( the back pressure is the same for both methods) and it is more critical to open up the valve with appropriate speed if you want a nice "punch" to the wave. Depends on the driving mechanism of the lifter, you can get this done either way. But then, as long as it works the way you did it, then I should not expect anyone else to get excite about a different approach.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you save a few bucks by using a suction pump instead of a veuturi and a hp pump? It seams operating cost would be cheaper.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: