bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthrea ... genumber=1

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthrea ... genumber=1

Has anyone tried making/using these and if so, is it worth the hassle? I have 3 MJ 1200s in my tank. Trying to beef up my flow while not spending lots (hundreds) of dollars but I'm not sure that I'm very good with DIYing except for woodwork.

I've also considered the maxi-jet mods where you just cut off the tip of them and drill holes under it/around the intake. This mod is definitely easily accomplished. Thoughts on those?

Tunzes/vortechs might be a little too much flow for a softie/LPS tank with maybe a couple of SPSs (right?) and they're also pricey. Seios have mixed reputation. More maxi-jets would add more heat to my tank... :?

Please help me out! TIA!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A local here made one, infact our club is having a DIY session on these come september, they're said to be LARGE, like Tunze sized large.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
www.mjmods.com is a great place to simply buy a kit ot put one of these together. Cheap and slick kits :D

IMO they're larger, and louder, then a normal MJ, but man do they move water. Mine are louder then I'd like, but I'm still playing with them. I think I can get the noise down alot with some stiffer materials, like the carbon fiber ones in the delixe kit (which I got).

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, Gresham! Thanks! I might figure this out in the morning, since I'm really tired right now, but how much do yo think it would cost to mod my 3 1200s from mjmods.com? I read that their pre-made kits have enough to do a couple of mods...

Also, what should I skip on buying from them that is readily available mostly everywhere?

The only thing that sucks is that I still have to put this together myself. I would be scared to mess up my MJs, or just have it run poorly or something of the sort and end up spending more money, time, and frustration than just buying something more expensive... But maybe not, huh?

TIA :)

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sfsuphysics":fj50t9do said:
A local here made one, infact our club is having a DIY session on these come september, they're said to be LARGE, like Tunze sized large.
Did you mean large in size or as in large amount of flow!?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Large in size, the shroud you have to put on it really increases the length considerably.

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sfsuphysics":298s28i8 said:
Large in size, the shroud you have to put on it really increases the length considerably.
That's what I thought you meant. I'm willing to deal with that if the flow is also considerably increased! And if I am confident enough that I can pull this amount of modding off! :)

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up cutting the ends off and I like the flow but really dislike the 90 degree change when the impeler changes directions. Any way to make that not happen!??

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So bleedingthought, did you ever buy one of the MJ mod kits?

Louey

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not yet. I will though. More than likely I will at the end of the month. I just really, really hope that I can make it work! I'm probably going to do it to two of mine. I don't have any SPS yet so it's not really necessary but I do feel I need more flow. Actually, I also hope it won't be too much! :?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one of the mjmod kits last week. Super easy to put together, and serious water movement. Mine was loud when I first put it together, but I shortened my propeller shaft (from the back end, behind the magnet so that none of the shaft extended beyond the magnet) and that solved the problem.

Really worth the money IMO. You could save some money by building your own shroud, but the ones from mjmods are well constructed, look good, and don't cost all that much. But it is kinda a DIY shortcut, so maybe its more of a DMOIY.

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PitPat":p704xyzl said:
I bought one of the mjmod kits last week. Super easy to put together, and serious water movement. Mine was loud when I first put it together, but I shortened my propeller shaft (from the back end, behind the magnet so that none of the shaft extended beyond the magnet) and that solved the problem.

Really worth the money IMO. You could save some money by building your own shroud, but the ones from mjmods are well constructed, look good, and don't cost all that much. But it is kinda a DIY shortcut, so maybe its more of a DMOIY.
Well, I might need to hit you up if I don't succeed making mine work. :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think once you get the kit you will be able to figure everything out just fine. It is really a simple concept.

There are some instructions on how to do the the mod at reef chili, which are easier to sift through than the long threads at RC, but they are not great and are occasionally confusing. Once I regain the ability to post pictures I will take some shots of my mod. I think seeing good pictures of the part you are trying to make is more helpful than reading instructions.

I just used the steel shaft and rigid PVC when I made mine... I think tonight I'll try making one out of carbon fiber.

tomster

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm interested as well in how this worked for folks. I've got a couple MJ's that I'd like to try this out on if it pans out. :)

Tom

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the kit that had everything for 4 "large shroud" maxijets.

I already had 4 extra maxijets lying around. If you want to get the parts yourself you could probably easily find the steel bar and rigid airline tubing yourself. So if you wanted you could just order the shroud and the props from them and find the rest.

The kit for "4 maxijets" really comes with enough parts to make 6, except for the shrouds (which they sell for $10 a piece... you could probably make your own for a dollar or two), but I don't have a table saw, and haven't had much time lately for voluntary DIY projects (I have several mandatory ones having just moved into a new house).

Its not a complicated DIY project. I just wanted the entire kit so I could get started without realizing halfway through that I needed to hunt down one last part. I just used regular super glue gel.

Its easy, go for it!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy cow how big is your tank that you have 4 of these in? I've heard claims of upwards of 2000 gph, if you got 4 in your tank? yikes!

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sfsuphysics":3b7bw0oz said:
Holy cow how big is your tank that you have 4 of these in? I've heard claims of upwards of 2000 gph, if you got 4 in your tank? yikes!
I think he only made one so far, since he mentioned he's going to try carbon fiber on the next one.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not going to put 4 in my tank. Right now I only have one in my 120 and I plan on putting in one more in the near future. I have another 65 gallon tank that I am planning on putting one of them into, and that will leave me one left over as a spare.

I wouldn't put 4 of these in my tank, (I think water might start spilling over the edge) I would believe the 2000 gph estimates, the output from the pump feels like a bit less than the output of my ampmaster through 1.5" pipe (but not much less) ... and the ampmaster is rated at just over 3500 gph... of course these lack the head pressure of the ampmaster.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: