• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
does anybody have a clear plan on how to build these. I've seen them on RC, but no one really explains them very clearly.
Is this something we can go over on DIY night. I'd like to know if there are any extra parts you need to make one of these. it seems to be the HOT add on for skimmers.

spykes

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Untitled1.jpg

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
okay thanks, I see it, but I'll have to look at one in person, or see some close up photo's to understand it.
are the tubes conected to the same pump feeding the skimmer?

spykes

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
airline tube is connected to the feeding pump. i usuaally make euro skimmer with a feed pump and a rediculation pump, the counter current action will creat the thickest foam, also the difuser plate will create the slowest current making sure all skimmate is out of the water!

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I've seen on RC that people like the sedra pumps with the built in needle wheels. is this the pump you'd reccomend for the recirculation? what about the feed pump, how do you figure out how powerfull it needs to be in relation to the size of the skimmer you make. I'm thinking of making one about 30" total, the chamber where the water is moving would be about 24" x 7.5", or it could have a rectangular bottom if that design is better.

spykes

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
naw jhale i'll show you how to make the ultimate needle wheel, me and jose uses the 3M polish disk, with a GenX pump, this will drive your skimmer witht he max foam. sedras are PITA if i recommended them, my ASM recirculation is using them, but the wires give out 5-10 watt of magnetic discharge sometimes these pumps can give serious problems. not for nothing the noise too. I'll talk to show you DIY needle wheel pumps. 3 inch impellers will spike wheels, btw you should do a difuser plate. difuses teh foam in a evenly spread. I built alot of skimmers before, just dont know flanges without a premade jig. of course anyone can CNC hehhe, but making a flange from scratch is pretty hard to me. I dont think i should bring the thermo former, because i dont think aaron has the oven to do it, only at the store we use the thermo former for the funnel shape neck on a skimmer.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
ha, I'll trade you laser cut parts for a couple of funnel shaped necks :D

that DYI needle wheel sounds like the ticket. save save save, I love DIY. I get to spend all my money on tools, and the reef

your skimmer plans sound great spykes, I'll need some help with a reactor too

spykes

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
funnel shape necks are hard man, i'll ask the boss if he denys me i cant help you man, it's his oven and his vacum thermo former.

BTW it's DIY not DYI lol ;P
yeah spend money on tools and forget about spending money on retail. You know after i started designing skimmer, i did beckkets with 4 eunductors big skimmered rated for 4500 gallon systems, i might no go skimmer for my 30 gallon. just macro see how it goes you know. yeah i'll help you with the reactor that should be easy as well. just reactor cost more to do.

wedfr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
spykes i was gonna stop by the parts place tomororw and pick those 3m wheels up. Good to hear they really work well.

Funnel necks are no biggie at all. jhale if you need one let me know and ill pop one out for you. Ill bring it to DIY night

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
haha, you DIY and I'll DYI, it was late I was not checking my typing.

That would be great getting some funnel necks, I just need two one for me and one for solbby.

I'm glad the tools I have can also work with acrylic, I would hate it if I had to go out and buy new tools to make protien skimmers.

where's the parts place your talking about wedfr? is it in the city?

spykes

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
cool wedfr, pick up a box of yellow i hinkt hose are the two inch OD ones, the green ones require alot of cutting, which doesnt work out too great because also there is too little space between the wheels. yea funnel necks are no big deal, they seriously dont make a diffrence within he project, just a look better thing.

spykes

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
btw wedfr,
how are you planning to warp plastic at home? alot of bad toxic gases, and also they dont come out evently correct, i would lov to see a home thermo former, i might need one of them besides work hehhe. my boss is a stiffy person and sly too.

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I made a home vac-former years ago in Ausralia with moderate success, the most difficult thing was evenly heating the plastic ( i never thought to put it in the oven) I would definitely be into getting a funnel neck if you have the chance to make a few.
Wedfr, could we put together a shopping list so everyone who wants to build a skimmer will know what they need?

joseney21

FDNY MEDIC
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Well i haven't quite used the 3M wheels just yet, but that would be the way to go.

Wedfr if you're going to buy the 3M needle wheels lmk. i was going to order them online, but if you can get them locally that would be perfect.where do you get them? i've been to many Autozones,R&S Strauss, and NAPA autoparts in hunts point and haven't found 'em.

this guy is making a skimmer with wet neck, i really like his idea for the wet neck...looks kick ass. here is his thread

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=568865&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

here is a link to a thread about a DIY skimmer with funnel, the guy heated it in his oven.looks great and seems easy, but like everyone else has stated be careful if you try this, the fumes are dangerous.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=561055&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

i might be going to the acrylic store today, if the prices are right i'll come out with a ton of stuff.

spykes

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
cool beans arron. yup jose just like that, but mine enters ventrically and the hose doesnt submerise itself within the skimmate. uhm i need someone to bring a heat gun so you guys can help me mold my tank back into shape. i got a 30 gallon acrylic warped. Also see if someone wanna cut in the dove teeth for my overflow hehhe.

wedfr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
joseney: I thougth the napa stores would have them i called all around none of them do. One said he just sold out so maybe to do carry them.

Spykes do you get them locally? or do you have to order them?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: