• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

wedfr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
you cant order them off of 3M website unless im missing something. Also the smallest amoutn you can order is 40

only one napa i called stocked them but they were out.

joseney21

FDNY MEDIC
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
i put this into google

Scotch-Brite Bristle Discs

and it turned out many places that sell them, some individually and some only in packages.
$5.99 ea or $43.00/case of ten is the cheapest i found.i'll be ordering the box of ten.

spykes

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
LOL i think these guys wanna do it for a living

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Jose is going to have 4 pumps recirculating his skimmer ;)

in which thread should we find out how many skimmers people want to make? I need to make 2. I guess we should have all the small parts at aarons house that people can leave with.
what other things do we need? It seems like the design that's been settled on is a recirculating needle wheel with a wet neck.
is this right?
are the OR pumps you guys recomend for feeding the skimmer or the recirculating part?

joseney21

FDNY MEDIC
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
i'll be feeding my skimmers from the overflows and use the pumps for recirc.btw i think i'm only putting two pumps on my skimmer, if that works good, if not i'll add.being that the other skimmers i had in mind where going to be a tad smaller i thought maybe one pump should do for those.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I have 2 - 1.5" drains with about 900gph going through them, that's combined. Can I use them to feed the skimmer? and would one recirculating pump be enough for a skimmer 7.5" wide and about a 20" tall reaction chamber? or do I need two pumps?

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
we need solid plans for a wet neck, Jose and spykes seemed to have good ones.

we need plans on how to plumb these bad boys the best way.

we need plans for the difuser plate

and we need plans to tell us how many pumps we need relative to the size skimmers we are making.

we also need plans for the shut off feature for a collection chamber.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
can someone explain the purpose of the difusser plate, Jose said it's just there to limit the turbulance of the water coming out of the recirc pump returns and disperse the bubbles evenly.
I don't get it why would you want to limit the water flow?
what's up with this feature?

joseney21

FDNY MEDIC
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
you're not limiting the flow, you're limiting the turbulance.the water and bubbles can only get out by going up through the holes, no exit on the bottom or sides.this is good because it keeps the bubbles out of your skimmer returns, and you're only interested in the bubbles going up anyway.I THINK....lol

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
okay, i thought the turbulance was good in a skimmer, don't you want the water to spin around in the reaction chamber? it looks like the Dplate stops this from happening. how does the skimming happen with the water just rising up in the tube.
is it just the air mixing with water that makes the skimming happen? I need a lesson in skimmer mechanics.

joseney21

FDNY MEDIC
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
yes, just the air mixing with the bubbles...i believe the proteins that attach to the bubbles are polarized, one end likes to be in the air the other in the water (i guess this is why overflows skim the surface).as the bubble rises up more proteins attach to it making it look like a fuzzy air bubble.get too much turbulance and the proteins get knocked back into the water.check out these article

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-06/fm/feature/index.htm

http://www.proteinskimmers.com/

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: