• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I've finally gotten around to finishing my light hood.
My original concept was to use the lights to make a back lit light box. I'm playing around with different photos now, seeing how I like the mix of color and black and white, and different subjects.
So far I like the way it's looking, I just need to get a thin piece of plexi to protect the photos, and keep them in place. If I have the time it will be a rotating mini gallery of my work, otherwise the photos will never change.

scotty

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
great idea
as long as the main attraction is still the tank.

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I really like the idea. And I like the difference in textures in each pic. However, it's distracting from the tank. The light box is the lightest part of the picture, and immediately draws my eye to it. (probably the purpose of this pic!)

Can you dim the light box a bit? maybe put some neutral density gel behind it? The pics would still glow, but not too bright. I also realize it(the lightbox vs the tank) might look better in real life than it does in this pic. Then nevermind my suggestion!

Brett

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Looks much better than most stoic canopies. Too bad you can't have the pics rotate mechanically...Times Square-like.

Dean

p.s. Now that I look at it again...I would like the leftmost picture all the way across, sort of like the ocean's surface.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
yeah, I'm still playing with the photos, I did not have one big piece of the transparency paper, so I made a bunch of small ones to check out the effect. I like the idea of water going across, I'm not sure I have a long enough shot to do that.

in person the light is balanced. the camera could not compensate, so I dropped it a half stop to show the light box photos. it ened up making the tank dark.

BC the ND filters are a good idea, some of the shots let through more light than others.

[ July 11, 2005, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: jhale ]

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
i thought it would be funny to have pics of the things in my tank and descriptions, just like the zoo's and aquariums.
that way I won't have to answer a hundred questions when non-reefers come over

scotty

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
or u could put a long pic of that girl it could be like a magazine pullout from maxim or something. sorry i am bored waitting for work to end. its my friday

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I have a friend in the building with a 42" inkjet. I know he's got the paper I need, so if I do a long shot I'll have him print it.

I have a feeling the girl in the water shot will change when my girlfriend comes home. otherwise it would have been all nudes, tasteful of course ;)

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
thanks spykes and fry,

these photos were to see what colors and densities would look okay. I like the idea of using one long shot.
or mixing a bunch of photos but keeping the color palette the same. to many different shots like this and does get crazy looking. even all sepia toned shots would look cool.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I like the idea of the water, I also like to idea of making a collage of palm trees and sky, like the island is above on the hood and the tank is below with the reef, kind of a neat idea. I'll have a bunch of different ones printed then I can swap them when I feel like it. for scotty I'll even do some bikini shots across the front

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: