• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Currently the tank features the twinflo overfow kit which I will upgrade to the megaflo. The twinflow handles about 400gph and the megaflo handles about 600gph as per manufacturer. We all know that in the real world it is different. The tank is pre-drilled with a 1.5" and 1.75" hole in the overflow

The return will be plumbed via oceans motions squirt which can handle up to 1300gph. 2 of the outlets will be next to the overflow plubbed via 90 degree elbow through locline exiting through an eductor. The other two outlets will pass through two 45degree elbows eventually exiting through locline and eductor on each corner of the viewing pane.

Here is a diagram that shows the basic distances.
100386Lighting.JPG

From the sump to the squirt is about 4.5 feet.

Now to the question:
1.What kind of gph pump do I require to achieve a good balance between input and output taking all the headpressure into account.
2. What can I do to increase the overflow output to say the 1000gph region without drilling the tank further.
3. Does anyone know the formula to calculate the headpressure caused by 90degree and 45 degree elbows.
4. What kind of head pressure does the om squirt produce.

Any kind of input is appreciated in regards to the pipe layout or even alternatives.

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Deanos

How would I input into the headloss calc the squirt if there are simultaneous openings for the water to flow through? Or would I just do each individual path?
The drum outlet is open at one and a half ports at all times on the OM Squirt

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
are you set on using one hole for the return and one for the overflow?

you can increase the flow by making both holes overflows and running the return on the outside of the tank.

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Currently I am not set on anything. I am just trying to avoid any unsightlypipes coming through the outside of the tank.

With the above mentioned setup according to the calculator figuring that the headloss of the OMsquirt is equal to that of a 90degree elbow is as stated below

Total losses are 9.1 feet of head pressure, or 3.93 PSI. with a flow rate of 682 GPH. Process took 44 iterations. This is if I were using a mag 12.

Does this mean that I am left with a flowrate of 682 gph? Would that even work with the megaflow overflow setup cause the manufacturer stated max flow of 600gph. What can I do to increase the outflow?

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Did you enlarge the grates (slots) on the megaflo? I find they were more restricting than the size of the BH leading to the sump. Either way 1,000 gallon an hour thru a sump you can fit in your stand is a lot of water and noise. Have you consider using a close loop for the OM 4 way? I will also be concern about the back siphoning from the eductor(s)when the pump if off in a none CL return, they have to be a few inches lower than the water surface to not suck in bubbles.

My answers:

1. Iwaki 70RT ? Here is the flow curve http://reefs.org/library/pumps/pumps/iwaki70rt.html This pump will ensure your 1,000gph requirement even with all the elbows you?ll need to use with the OM.
2. I don?t think you can be close to 1,000 gph even after enlarging the grates, I estimate mine to be at 600 gph or so after the mod. You should not use the max potential of the over flow capacity, a 20% ?buffer? factor would prevent the tank from overflowing if some thing (like a dead fish) should get stuck on the grates when you are not home.
3. Deanos have the right link for this one.
4. From the disassembled pictures on the OM site, I would say the water flow is making a 90? turn via the Squirt, a 90 deg ell should be used as head loss factor.

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
marrone said:
What about also attaching a pump to one of the over flows and pushing water down into the sump that way. You would just need to place a pump inside the tank and connect it to a hose which would be connected to an overflow hole directly.
The idea is good but I will need to be very accurate with the headloss calc cause either the sump will overflow or the pump will run dry. Unless I attach a floatswitch as a form of redundancy to that pump...

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I have quite a bit of space in the canopy. Has anyone ever tried mounting it into the canopy? I am really trying to avoid equipment inside the tank other than an irrigator on the floor.

Back to the drawing board!!!! Keep the ideas coming guys. Its highly appreciated!

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I've have had the pump on the floor and ran a hose from one end into the sump and the other into the tank. I guess you could mount the pump into the canop and have it pull water from the tank and bring it down into the sump. just need to be careful that a hose doesn't come loose and send water on your lighting system.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: