latino277

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
no disrespect towards wingo, as he does good work, but this was meant from one individual who's never done it to another individual who'd like to give it a try. A learning process.

Well I still have to make one more for my 24g nano cube. I'll think about it. :hug:

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Latino, great Job. You have inspired me to try my Build. I have a 210 gal. 72" long 24" wide 30" deep. It is fish and corals. What size heat sink, lenses, optics and spacing should i use ? Also where can i order these items from ?

latino277

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Latino, great Job. You have inspired me to try my Build. I have a 210 gal. 72" long 24" wide 30" deep. It is fish and corals. What size heat sink, lenses, optics and spacing should i use ? Also where can i order these items from ?

:eek: I've only built one and already helping peeps with thier builds :lol2:

so, I would create 3 panels (assuming you have two center braces)
try these for a heat sink http://www.heatsinkusa.com/storename/heatsinkusa/ViewDept-263913-2.aspx

as far as How many LED's... 24 -36 would work
24 dimmable -> http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-54/24-Ultra-Premium-LED/Detail

36 Dimmable -> http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-58/36-Ultra-Premium-LED/Detail

24 non dimmable -> http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-53/24-Ultra-Premium-LED/Detail
36 Non dimmable -> http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-24/36-Premium-LED-Do-dsh-It-dsh-Yourself/Detail

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Can you get your hands on an inferred thermometer?
MA-16510.jpg

I think you can improve your current heat dissipation design by raising the fan off the heat sink a little.

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
do you have to drill the heat sink? or can you glue the LEDs to the heatsink with Arctic Silver adhesive?

Quote from Arctic Silver Adhesive Application Instructions

"2) Technical Precautions and Suggestions
. Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive is permanent adhesive.
. There is a very good chance that any components you attach with Arctic
Alumina Thermal Adhesive will stay attached forever.
. Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive IS NOT considered grease. It dries, sets and glues whatever it is used on."

A thermal grease should be used if you plan to drill\tap and remove LED later on.

latino277

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
do you have to drill the heat sink? or can you glue the LEDs to the heatsink with Arctic Silver adhesive?

You very well can use an adhesive. The kit comes with that glue but i chose not to go that route. even though drilling and tapping took a long time to do, it makes it easier to change out bulbs.

Last edited:

latino277

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Can you get your hands on an inferred thermometer?
MA-16510.jpg

I think you can improve your current heat dissipation design by raising the fan off the heat sink a little.

1st off thanks for all your input! :hug:

I have a compact one that I use for my rc nitro cars. it is currently running at 88.1 (at the furthist point from the fan) after being on since 4 pm (currentlt 11pm). I dont think thats too bad... but can always be better

I'm going to raise the fan off the heat sink but haven't been able to find the 1.75" spacers. I may have to double them up.

I still have a few things to finish up... this being one of them

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Can you lift up the light and take reading at the edge of the star board furthest from the center of the unit and the one at the center? the gap you have between the lower cover and the reflector maybe enough to shot the laser in there. You will be able to tell how much heat the fan is helping to take the heat away, I suspect there may be some differences.

latino277

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Can you lift up the light and take reading at the edge of the star board furthest from the center of the unit and the one at the center? the gap you have between the lower cover and the reflector maybe enough to shot the laser in there. You will be able to tell how much heat the fan is helping to take the heat away, I suspect there may be some differences.

OH there is deff a differance of about 2* even taking the reading from the top. I'm gonna try and finish this up this weekend. This will include mounting the fan about 0.5" above the heatsink.

Thinking about taking it to the swap to get some par reading.

latino277

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
So I decided to finish my fixture...

1st thing was to round out all the corners with my router... gotta love power tools:cool:

router blades:
DSC_0052.jpg

DSC_0050.jpg

Router... nothing fansy:

DSC_0051.jpg

and what it looked like after routing the corners:

DSC_0048.jpg

DSC_0045.jpg

Stained:

DSC_0054.jpg

DSC_0053.jpg

and the satin finish was next:

DSC_0055.jpg

DSC_0057.jpg

DSC_0056.jpg

and the final product without optics (found them to look brigher without them on): Pix taken with flash.

DSC_0058.jpg

DSC_0059.jpg

DSC_0060.jpg

Pix taken without flash:

DSC_0063.jpg

DSC_0062.jpg

DSC_0061.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: