• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Two reasons I did this:

First off... I built a sump using a 20g glass tank and Acrylic baffles. Well the silicon didn't hold and the baffles are beoming loose.

Second, I don't like how the Lifereef SVS24 is working, so I decided yo go and get a Beckett style skimmer.

I wanted a Barr skimmer, but I would have had to wait till over the the summer... and still not have a definate date. So I chose a skimmer by My Reef Creations... the MRC1. It is rated well above the volume of my tank (I have a 58 Gallon).

I chose to feed the skimmer with a Genx PCX-30 External pump, and I will use a MAg 9.5 submersable pump until I can find an 850-950 low wattage pump to replace it.

Well here it is: 18L x 14d x 16h

Newsump.jpg

from the side...

Newsump2.jpg

Ok... flame away... this was the first sump I ever built. I definately need to practice a littl emore to make it neater next time.

Rich

Last edited:

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Thanks all... i tried the "Pin" method, it works well. I think something a little thiner would be better though. I also need to find a way to get my edges cleaner.

NYPD,

estreetplastics.. something like that... Online. This set actually had a name on it. I need to find the piece, not sure what it was.

Rich

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Here it is in it's new home. Its tight in there now... not much room for anything else. I have to figure out some sort of fresh water top off... I may use a gravity feed into the sump using a one or two gallon container.

newsump3.jpg

My only issues with it is the fact I don't have much water on the return side... its about 4 gallons. unfortionately thats all the room I had.

Ohh and my temps were down to 78-79 all day today. nice drop from the 80-82 I was maintaining.

Rich

Last edited:

RichT

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Rborgia said:
i tried the "Pin" method, it works well. I think something a little thiner would be better though.
Rich

I use guitar E string. Works great, easy to work with. Use a piece of masking tape to store them.

A laminate trimmer works great on the edges. You can even use a 1/8" round over bit and get real fancy. Flaming the edges makes them mirror like but it causes the glue to bubble so it's not recommended on water tight joints. I somethings use a buffing wheel for a drill and buffing compound if its going to be used for display, otherwise I just leave the router bit finish. HTH

C

Chiefmcfuz

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Diameter yes they are. Low E is a wound High E is a plain unwound string

DRZL

**ROCKSTAR**
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks great but one problem i'm noticing,

what if it oveflows? I know it happened to Rich before, any backup ideas on that little jug?

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
DRZL said:
Looks great but one problem i'm noticing,

what if it oveflows? I know it happened to Rich before, any backup ideas on that little jug?

hmmm hadn't thought of that. Maybe a "top off" which would kill the pump.

I will look into that now. Thanks for pointing that out.

Rich

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Hey JH...

The sump is working great. My only issue is the size of the return area. Due to space limitations in the stand (34x 16) I made the reutrn area just large enough to hold my mag 9.5. So I only have one day of evaporation coverage there.

I need to get some freshwater supply to the sump some how... but the location of the system and my wifes complete resisitence to me drilling the hard wood floor... isnt helping. And the floor to ceiling mirrors behind the tank, I wont even suggest touching those... I do value my life.

but all in all, it seems to work well. I need to research the baffles a bit.. I'm not sure, but... I think that last baffle should be a little shorter then the first. (over 12" -under -over 11" ??). Hoping some of the arcylic pros can help out a bit.

Good luck!!

Rich

C

Chiefmcfuz

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Drill it then tell the wife that's the way you wanted it done because you're the man and she's the woman and she's gonna like it and if she doesn't tough luck! Then.......................RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOLOLOLOL

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Chiefmcfuz said:
Drill it then tell the wife that's the way you wanted it done because you're the man and she's the woman and she's gonna like it and if she doesn't tough luck! Then.......................RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOLOLOLOL

hahahha... I'm seeing flash backs of my life... my son... my tank!

The floor stays in tact.... It keeps the piece and she likes the idea of a bigger tank.. a much bigger tank. So I will keep her happy.

Plus I value that fresh pasta sauce too much to get thrown into the dog house!

haha... makes me laugh to even think of doing it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: