Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The big male seems to be behaving a little better since his capture (and release). He bullies the small male a bit less, but the small male still hasn't begun to revert to female form yet. The big male definitely is growing out a lyre tail though.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, some pics of the male about 3 weeks later. It's developed quite a bit, most noticeably a longer caudal fin (now diamond shaped).

Attachments

• roseafacia_lg_male4.jpg
    roseafacia_lg_male4.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 4,991

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit fuzzy since he was moving quickly, but the photo shows its developing fins.

Attachments

• roseafacia_lg_male6.jpg
    roseafacia_lg_male6.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 4,988

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His colors are more saturated now, but not by a whole lot. I think it has more to do with my photographic technique. The biggest difference are his fins are now longer. Hiroyuki was right .... the longer fins make him look more slender and elegant.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the female might be carrying eggs 8O My brother and I caught enough wild fish in our lives to recognize what a bearing female fish looks like, and she definitely looks like she's carrying a load :) Either that, or she has some parasites. In any case, here's a photo of her many hours after feeding, so what you see in her growing stomach area is not food. She's also hounding the big male a lot these days, flaring her fins at him, following him around the tank, and "pecking" (almost like kissing) him on right behind the eyes when he stays stays relatively still. Very interesting behavior. The male has yet to do his courtship displays though.

Attachments

• roseafacia_female3.jpg
    roseafacia_female3.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 4,922

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now a couple more photos of the male. I think he had a growth spurt ;) The fins look more impressive today then two days ago!

Attachments

• roseafacia_lg_male8.jpg
    roseafacia_lg_male8.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 4,917
  • roseafacia_lg_male9.jpg
    roseafacia_lg_male9.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 4,919

Hiroyuki Tanaka

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This species is one of my favorites. It is a 150mm male (same individual) from Cebu, the Philippines. While it is exciting all the fins become more yellowish, and the body turn reddish to deep pink. Note the pelvic fins seen in both photos.

Attachments

• CRosea150CebuSame2.jpg
    CRosea150CebuSame2.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 3,254
  • CRoseafasciaM150mmCebu.jpg
    CRoseafasciaM150mmCebu.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 3,254

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My small male died today :( For the past two weeks, it lost all its weight (down to skin and bones). It had difficulty eating, but it still tried to eat like a pig. However, no matter how much it ate, it got skinnier each day. It finally lost energy to swim yesterday, and died this morning.

RIP

wrasseguy123

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry to hear about that it is always a pitty to lose any fish and on that nice really sucks...i lost a fairy the same way once not sure what it was but i hate to see it happen

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: