• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

lunner

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
After the recent high of the $400 Blotched Anthias. Another new Anthias is claiming the new heavy weight title. Does it worth their asking price? You be the judge.

New from Liveaquaria: $899.00

Cook Islands deepwater Privitera Anthias. This is the first time these fish have been collected from the Cook Islands. They are collected from depth of 280 feet and require low lighting and cooler water, but are very hardy.
Size: 3-1/4"

pseudanthias_privitera.jpg

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
positive it wasn't, was up at fishtopia about 3 months ago, plus i have lost every fish i have bought from them, so it could have been $5 and wouldnt have got it

DCG1286

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
181   0   0
Saw this thing...wouldn't waste $900 on that thing...it's nice...but not worth the hefty price tag...Liveaquaria...is also a bit over priced...i like their stuff...i have gotten quite a number of corals from them...but this is just NOT worth it IMO...

-DCG

ZZROCOOL

BIG ROCK SMALL FISH
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It is very frustrating to consistently watch people blast anything this is expensive. There are plenty of people who are willing to pay a premium for something that is unique or rare. Live aquaria's prices are not overpriced at all IMO. They are just not discounted which unfortunately has become the expectation for this hobby.

For the second time in 2 days I agree with WES
If people took a minute to consider what goes into getting some of the more expensive species from the ocean to your fish tank, you might think differently.

You get what you pay for, not everything needs to be discounted so that every hobbyist can have one. This is why not everybody drives a Ferrari
(And for the record I can't afford one of those fish either)

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Live aquaria's prices are not overpriced at all IMO. They are just not discounted which unfortunately has become the expectation for this hobby.

Anything that Live aquaria has in their Driver Den is over priced. You're paying a premium because it's house at their facilities in Wisconsin as opposed to being shipped directly from a wholesaler, as the rest of their things are. And yes they do have some nice rare things in their Driver Den selection but even the common things listed are usually over priced.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
It is very frustrating to consistently watch people blast anything this is expensive. There are plenty of people who are willing to pay a premium for something that is unique or rare. Live aquaria's prices are not overpriced at all IMO. They are just not discounted which unfortunately has become the expectation for this hobby.

For the second time in 2 days I agree with WES
If people took a minute to consider what goes into getting some of the more expensive species from the ocean to your fish tank, you might think differently.

You get what you pay for, not everything needs to be discounted so that every hobbyist can have one. This is why not everybody drives a Ferrari
(And for the record I can't afford one of those fish either)

Some people buy things just because they're unique or rare, regardless of the price. Just because some one is willing to pay a lot for a fish/coral doesn't mean that it is not over priced. A lot of things when they first come around are priced very high, usually they're listed as rare, only to see the price plummet when the market gets flooded with them, Acans are a prime example of this.

Also just because you pay a high price for something doesn't mean you're getting better quality. Remember most places, if not all, are getting from the same sources. What you see as rare on Live Aquaria will most likely be showing up at your LFS in a short time.

ZZROCOOL

BIG ROCK SMALL FISH
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Some people buy things just because they're unique or rare, regardless of the price. Just because some one is willing to pay a lot for a fish/coral doesn't mean that it is not over priced. A lot of things when they first come around are priced very high, usually they're listed as rare, only to see the price plummet when the market gets flooded with them, Acans are a prime example of this.

Also just because you pay a high price for something doesn't mean you're getting better quality. Remember most places, if not all, are getting from the same sources. What you see as rare on Live Aquaria will most likely be showing up at your LFS in a short time.

What you’re saying is obvious!
My point is the general negative reaction people have to the high price is largely unfounded.
The people who buy things because they are rare do because they don't want a tank filled with the same 12 fish everybody else has and if being unique carries a larger price tag and they are ok with that then great.

Additionally just because things show up at your LFS doesn't make them the same quality as what somebody else gets. There are many many wholesalers and some have better quality then others. Borbonius Anthias were expensive 18 months ago and still are! because of some major factors, they are only collected in 1 place and only for 2 months a year. They are also tough shippers and don't always acclimate well. In the case of divers den specimens they are held for a period of time and established as "healthy" (no guaranty but certainly better then many LFS) that level of care comes with a premium.

Additionally only the best specimens DFS gets end up on divers den, the majority is offered at normal average LFS prices.

I equate the criticism of Divers Den prices to the same kind of criticism consistent with some of the LFS's in the area who don't discount for MR members or charge more then a discount LFS.

If people don't want to pay for the quality that Divers Den or a high end LFS offer's that doesn't make them overpriced! It makes them higher end then one can afford.

This site should not become a place for complaining about paying a premium for quality but one that helps to discern the differences between what is offered.

And again for the record I can't afford that fish!

Last edited:

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i agree...I no longer look for the best price on a fish. I buy from the places that offer healthy fish. Divers Den is one of the only online retailers that i would buy fish from.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
thing's ar only worth what people are will to pay for them, and a price in that area i would rather pay the littl higher price to have a 14 day guarentee, most fish if they are going to die usually do so in the first week or less. and i do agree people get use to seeing what something is sold for on here and expect a store to sell it for the same, people tend to forget what overhead is to run a business, lol even if i had the money to afford that fish i am to cheap to spend 800 on a fish let alone 3-5k for a gem tang :tub:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: